TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
This Is Us

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
ARCHIVESSeamonkey2224 90 01-30-22  11:59 pm
Archive through February 04, 2022Sugar25 02-04-22  6:11 pm
Archive through March 09, 2022Texannie25 03-09-22  5:11 pm
Archive through March 24, 2022Kitt25 03-24-22  5:09 pm
Archive through March 25, 2022Juju2bigdog25 03-25-22  10:12 pm
Archive through March 28, 2022Jimmer25 03-28-22  8:28 am
Archive through March 29, 2022Seamonkey25 03-29-22  5:44 pm
Archive through March 31, 2022Sugar25 03-31-22  9:58 am
Archive through April 03, 2022Karuuna25 04-03-22  12:00 pm
Archive through April 10, 2022Jimmer25 04-10-22  1:59 pm
Archive through April 15, 2022Jimmer25 04-15-22  9:13 am
Archive through April 20, 2022Snoopsmom25 04-20-22  7:11 am
Archive through April 24, 2022Babyjaxmom25 04-24-22  11:01 am
Archive through April 27, 2022Egbok25 04-27-22  9:28 am
Archive through May 04, 2022Colordeagua25 05-04-22  12:06 pm
Archive through May 11, 2022Juju2bigdog25 05-11-22  9:32 pm
Archive through May 17, 2022Kookliebird25 05-17-22  8:46 pm
Archive through May 19, 2022Colordeagua25 05-19-22  5:38 pm
Archive through May 24, 2022Kookliebird25 05-24-22  3:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I do have to wonder why all the men grew beards when they got older??? Is that a symbol of old age? LOL

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
1st 20 min are soooo boring. This doesn't feel like a finale.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
There were some touching moments but not a memorable finale for me. It was too "scattered" and in parts felt like leftover scenes were just thrown in. That said, I loved this series and will miss it so much.

Snoopsmom

02-18-2003

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I will have to watch it again because I dozed off and missed some of it. What I did see was underwhelming.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was unimpressed with the finale. I feel a bit cheated actually. The last 2 episodes were so sweet and lovely. This was rushed, pale and uninteresting. The more recent episodes had emotion, color and truly drew one into the story.

At least they let Tess and Annie have a couple of lines before deja sucked more life out if the series.

I think that there was too much going back in time with Jack and the ordinary day. Where they trying to go for an Our Town vibe? If so, I don't think it was successful.

I loved the bit about the swings from little Rebecca to grown up Jack's kid. I had hoped we would see more future scenes. Also loved the Beth and Randall worst case scenario.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Were not where

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Loved it. Loved the continuity feel. It was a sweet, gentle farewell. It wasn't overly dramatic. (That was last week.) I found it touching. And wept through the most of it.

Life goes on. But remember to savour the moments. ♡

My only mini-gripe: Where was Kevin's daughter?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Same here -- underwhelming. Best of it was the Big Three sitting on the steps talking at the end. I did take note of Randall and his birth father when they were going to start their road trip to Memphis. S1,E16 -- that was a big tearjerker episode.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
For those who enjoyed it, glad you weren't disappointed.

It seemed a cold or at the very least a cool brush off to me. As if they lost interest in doing it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Agree there were 'a few' touching moments but overall a very boring ep that didnt feel like a season finale let alone a series finale.

very disappointed

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched it yet, but who can enlighten me as to who cancelled this show? And why? I was a latecomer and probably would never have watched it had it not been for the pandemic.

It was a great "America's Show". Could not the creators do something just as great again?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I believe the creators of the show decided to only do 6 seasons.
Personally, I think there are still a great many stories available and it could have go on for several more seasons without growing tired or stale, especially as it crosses generations.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, May 24, 2022 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it. I totally related to being in a daze when my mom died. I liked that each of the ‘Big 3’, at the end, just sat there watching the life of their children and family in the room... just like Jack did on their free Saturday of pin the tail on the donkey game. The kids have become the parents. Life continues and the next generation continues the journey carrying a piece of the parents down through their kids.. as so on.

For me, my complaint was just it was not enough time in the episode. All of a sudden, it was over... which made me sadder than anything. It’s the only show I make sure I watch, no matter what. Quality acting, story... just good tv. I will miss it.

Many of the early life scenes had to be shot many years ago and then woven into the story. Most of the ‘little’ kids are teenagers now.

Agreed, I also read somewhere that the creators only were planning for 6 years.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes, from the beginning writers were only gong to do six seasons. Some of the scenes in last night's show were filmed five - six years ago.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It could have been a better season finale. First time I've complained about this show, but the wrap-up was not meaningful enough for me. They could have easily added another hour flash forwarding on all the lives and families that Rebecca and Jack had created. They could have added music that they had featured in earlier episodes. There was so much more that could have been done!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
i had no problem with the final episode. Heartfelt, warm, emotional at times. sure they could have done future scenes but still... the point was about this is US and how families bridge together/carry on generation to generation.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I liked it very much. I think it accurately showed the continuity of life, generations... "not pointless."
I wouldn't have seen the point of flash forwarding, we never had enough data on the next generations to make that meaningful, and it would have felt rushed.

I loved how it emphasized enjoying the journey, and not worrying about "the end." This really hit home for me.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I liked the part where the three kids all agreed that when they thought of the word 'family' they thought of their parents and each other first.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I do have to wonder why all the men grew beards when they got older??? Is that a symbol of old age? LOL"

It's definitely a symbol of old age if the beard is turning gray! :-)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I think it’s more of a symbol of not wanting to shave everyday anymore.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL I did have to laugh at the beards…seems like the hair/makeup staff decided that was an easy way to age the men.

I have unsettled feelings about the finale, but I had/have unsettled feelings when my parents died. I never had the chance to say goodbye to my mom and not really with my dad. Like Jack, my mom died unexpectedly, and my dad had dementia. I was too stunned to speak at my mom’s funeral. I remember being adamant that I would at my dad’s…obsessing over every single word, story to give him the send off he deserved and realizing later like Randall that it really only mattered to me. I can remember standing in the middle of the grocery store watching people living their daily lives and being just stunned that the world was still spinning after my mom’s death and suddenly facing the realization that there was no one left who knew me ‘from the beginning’ when my dad died. I had my family over the weekend after my dad died and we laughed and shared stories. It was sweet. The whole episode reminded me of that…it was just sweet. Not gut wrenching, just sweet. The ‘you did good’ did send me into a sobbing fit because that is what my dad always said.
Overall, I had the same reaction Karuuna had, life is too precious…live it and enjoy while you can.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 25, 2022 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I thought the finale was just fine. We already cried out eyes out last week. But I did also cry through most of the final episode I watched tonight.

Texannie, I can testify that you totally lost your mind when your mother died, and you vented here because it was the safest place. There were many of your imaginary TVCH friends who had many off-board discussions about whether we could/should save you and if so, how. I don't recall if we ended up doing anything, but you ended up saving yourself, which is what the characters in this television program did. I can understand if this show hit you hard, but you ended up in a good enough place, as did all of those characters.

And, I guess, This Is Us, living life in some weird sort of family way, over the past 22 years, at the TVCLubhouse. May we all live long and prosper.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 26, 2022 - 2:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought it was fine.. Maybe not as gut-wrenching as the previous two, and nothing could totally satisfy when I just wanted the show to keep on going.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, May 26, 2022 - 5:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Interesting, Juju, you have mentioned how I lost my mind several times, I had no idea, I had lost my mind, (guess cause I had lost it LOL) but appreciate people being concerned. Between the shock of her death and my cancer scare/hysterectomy at 44, I am sure I was. It will be 20 years on December 20th. Amazing to think I have been around that long.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, May 26, 2022 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm an only child, never married, no children. When my mom died in '96 I became an orphan. My childhood was gone. What I do like is I live in the same small area I have since '50. Now one mile from the house I grew up in. Close to my grade school, jr high, and high school. Two days ago I saw an attorney in my childhood shoe store. Some stores in town that are OLD buildings still used after renovating. Attorney is in the building that was Joe's Family Shoe Store years ago. I am updating my will, etc. This time 'round having a problem thinking about that stuff. Gotta do it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, June 05, 2022 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching the last three episodes this afternoon. I recorded them and watched them all together. I'm still crying, especially going back and reading all of your comments above.

My dad died in 1988 of cancer. I did get to say goodbye to him, but I still miss him nearly 34 years later. My mom died just last year. She had dementia, and I wasn't able to see her much during the final year of her life, due to Covid.

I saw her a few days before she passed. They brought her in her wheelchair to the back sliding door of the home she lived in, and my son stood outside in the cold and said hi to her. The only thing she said was, "I need to go back inside," because she was cold. The attendant did break the rules and let me hug her, but by that time she didn't know who I was, even though we'd always been close.

She died on Jan 10, 2021. They'd called me that morning that she wasn't feeling well, but I thought they'd just fix her up and she'd be okay (she'd been under the weather the day before, too). But then they called me a second time and said I'd better come, cause she wasn't doing well. By the time I got there (only about 20 minutes away), she was gone.

Both of my older sisters and my favorite cousin are also gone, so the only one who remembers anything about our childhood is my younger brother (3 years younger), and he has a much different viewpoint of a lot of events.

It does change your life when you lose your parents. I'm older now than my dad was when he passed away. It makes you feel like time is spinning too fast and you might not be here much longer.

I thought the last few episodes were excellent (oh, Miguel!!!), but the finale was kind of anti-climatic. But then many times so is a funeral.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, June 05, 2022 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
(((Babyjaxmom))))

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 05, 2022 - 11:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((((BJM)))))

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 06, 2022 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
(((BJM))) I feel the same way. My dad died at 52, my mom at 61. I turn 60 this year. My grandma lived to 102 but had dementia for over 10 yrs, that is my fear

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 06, 2022 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the hugs, friends! I appreciate it. My mom was 97, so she had a good, long life, but she had dementia for the last several years. She was always cheerful and sweet, and her caregivers appreciated that about her. We moved her to a smaller board and care home right before Covid started, cause it was a lot cheaper than the place we'd moved her into when she was a lot more interactive with people and enjoyed the activities (also because it was very, very expensive). Some of the caregivers there cried when she left, cause she'd been there for 5 years.

It would have been nice to have been able to keep her at home with in-home care and extended family to help, but we didn't have those options.

Pamy, I worry about dementia too! Whenever I forget/can't remember something, I freak out that it's happening to me too!!! I'm afraid I'll turn into my mom.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 08, 2022 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Once you have a parent with dementia, you do look at yourself more closely. My mom had lewy body dementia for about 4 years. Probably a bit longer than her diagnosis. I took care of her for those 4 years. I was lucky that I was able to do that. I think we all find the best care for our situations. There were days that I wished I wasn't doing it but we pulled through. She died just short of her 90th birthday. She would ask me almost daily how old she was or when her birthday was but she just couldn't hold out to the day.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 08, 2022 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Bless you, Mamie, for being able to take care of your mom. We (mainly me) took care of my mom for 7 1/2 years, but it just got to be too much for my family. My husband was worn out, and our lives revolved around her. She was like a toddler. We couldn't leave her home alone, so somebody always had to be here with her. We had her in a day program (like preschool for old people--she loved it!) 4 days a week, and my brother would come take her out 2 days a week to give us a break. We were exhausted.

I felt bad putting my mom in a home, but she had insurance for it (only lasted 5 years, that's why we had to move her to a cheaper place), and she actually thrived there. They had all-day activities and round-the-clock supervision. They even took field trips on the little bus they had. She enjoyed her life there, and it gave us our lives back. I took her to lunch nearly every week, until she fell and broke her hip, then not so often, but still as often as I could. She always loved to eat out. She was 97 when she passed.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 08, 2022 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
You should never feel bad for getting your mom the best care for her and for you. Thank God for my husband and son because I didn't get help from my siblings. I often told my mom she just could have stopped after having me. (I am the oldest of 4)

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 08, 2022 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I hate dementia/Alzheimer’s. My husband’s grandfather and mom both died of complications due to dementia/Alzheimer’s. His grandfather was found walking down the street naked in a snow storm, died about 6 weeks later. My husband’s mom “lived” with her diagnosis for about 5 years in a vegetative state for 2 years because there was nothing physically wrong with her…she had the best blood pressure! We just had to wait for her to forget to breathe.BJM, i completely understand the emotions and the financial drain that comes with it all. The cost of all the facilities and the care is incredible.
Any little thing my husband forgets makes us both jumpy. Thankfully, we have a great neurologist who is monitoring him closely. But it’s scary seeing a glimpse of his possible future. He’s already had a stroke (2000) and heart attack/triple bypass (2009 at age 54). We are hopeful that those were his big health things and he didn’t win the genetic dementia lottery.
Thankfully, my dad’s leukemia took him before his dementia really took hold.
I hate dementia.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: