TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 25, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: Archive through March 25, 2022 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think the pregnancy test was the storyline with her mean boyfriend and she had an abortion while Rebecca was out of town.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I saw that, Sugar. Randall thinks he should be taking care of his mom. But Rebecca knows that Kate will follow her wishes, while Randall would probably do whatever he thinks is "best" (like when he wanted to send her away to the clinic).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes (re the pregnancy test) it was kind of unsaid, but as things are usually spelled out for us it felt unfinished.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was pleased to see, albeit far too briefly, Kate's neighbor Gregory (Timothy Omundson). I would much rather see a storyline with him than Deja and all her nonsense.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sugar, me too and I thought Kate would end up with him. I think that would be more interesting than her with the teacher.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree about the neighbor.

Kate and Toby both have a problem. Neither one respects the other's desires and interests. It's just sad to watch.

One of my biggest issues with the current storyline though is they have made the teacher (Kate's future husband) appear arrogant and unlikable. Why do so many dramas seem to like the trope of making a character appear nasty and then have the other character fall in love with them? At this point, I don't like him so it's hard to cheer for Kate as well.

I also didn't like the way that they had Kate imagining the old Toby. It's not like they showed Toby imagining the old Kate. Why didn't they show that as well?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes! I've said for awhile that Kate should have ended up with the neighbor!! Not with her boss.

Kate and Toby have each changed and went in different directions. She is now fulfilled doing a meaningful job that incorporates her musical talents and desires with helping challenged kids blossom, as well as helping Jack to blossom. And amazing to her, this is valued by others.

Toby has the same explanation, but I sensed a lot of posturing and ego stroking more than actual value and that sort of job is one that leads you to allow yourself to be sucked dry and be available all the time. Not family friendly unless you have a stay at home spouse who is happy as long as you bring home the big bucks.

And San Francisco is hardly family friendly price wise these days. That house on that steep hill didn't look like a great choice for having kids there, especially one with such limited vision.

And the whole thing about Toby just not telling Kate that he could have had the job in L.A. (and there was no rule that he couldn't have moved up in that job or used that position to move on to something even better.. it isn't like there are no tech jobs in Los Angeles, where they already own a home. And the boss casually assuming that Kate knew about that job offer tells me that the boss isn't really in tune with Toby's situation.

His excitement over Kate coming up for a weekend was really about how he would trap her into going with his plan, not actually wanting to be with her so much.

And yes, Kate seemed to have made up her mind that it was over when she made her phone call asking to be considered for the higher position, and not telling Toby that we know of, that is kind of lashing back, but also is planning to have more income in the future, I would think.

I had forgotten about the flash forward about the grill... that probably is the final straw or given as the final reason.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 3:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
My first thought when kate called about the job position was planning for a better income to support herself and Jack in the future - did not think about it being a lashing back at all - just that she had made the decision that this is over with Toby.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think it was both, Legal. Toby didn't consult her about his job offer, so she didn't consult him about taking a better job in LA either.

When they were looking at that house in SF, I was thinking a house like that would probably sell for several million dollars. SF is a VERY expensive place to live. That's why a lot of people live across the GG Bridge in Marin (which is also beautiful). And when Toby was telling Kate, "Over to the right is Koit Tower and behind those hills is the GG Bridge," I was all, "No, it's not." I lived in Marin for 15 years and spent a lot of time in SF. I would only live there if I were rich and could afford to have a driver (parking is impossible).

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Let’s just say that Toby must be extremely well paid to be able to afford that kind of purchase. Although Kate’s job is clearly fulfilling and important, she can’t be making much money.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think it was either one on Broderick Street or nearby in Cow Hollow. This very similar one sold for $4.6 million back in 2020.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2833-Broderick-St-San-Francisco-CA-94123/111923634_zpid/

I think he might be somewhat overextended...

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm one of the last people to think that money should be a big priority. However, if we take the show at face value, as Kitt indicated, it means that Toby is making a fortune in his current job. That has to be a factor in their life decisions. Just being real about it.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Remember he was also factoring in the sale of the LA house into the purchase of the SF house, which would also be an expensive property. My guess is that they would only probably increase their house payment with the new house based on the net difference in the selling prices. If he was making substantial salary, as was indicated, they could’ve afforded it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Agreed but it still means that Toby is making a fortune.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah. That’s a given.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Why should Kate live with someone who is clearly expecting her to give up everything to cater to his dreams without any regard for her?

Toby can pay child support while Kate lives a happy and fulfilled life. She can certainly raise two beautiful children on her own. He can continue to go to his fancy parties, make great money, be "adored" by his co-workers, and visit his children when he has time off. That is what real life looks like for many people these days.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Okay but in fairness to Toby they made it obvious that he adores Kate. Everyone at that party knew who she was and Toby had told them all about her and was proud of her. She wasn’t ignored. She was loved.

Kate isn’t giving up everything. There are lots of blind children in San Francisco that would benefit greatly from her help.

Yes Toby could be better. We all could be better. It’s just sad to strive to be better and fail for the people you love. That’s why I feel sad for both Kate and Toby.

Snoopsmom

02-18-2003

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I dislike this whole Kate/Toby storyline. Find it contrived and feel the producers and writers were grappling with a storyline for these characters.
Many people in the real world have to live similar lifestyles for the sake of supporting a family and make it work. Think of people in the military, firefighters who spend round the clock shifts at firehouses, long haul truckers, people in the medical field working opposite shifts from their partners.
We went from the early seasons of wondering what Toby and Kate did to make a living to now having Toby a high powered and paid tech guy that has to easily be earning a 7 figure salary.
I ended up sympathizing with Kate after watching this episode and also wanted to hear a number he was offered for the LA job. Find it hard to believe it was low enough that the salary difference wouldn't have been offset by the savings of having a mortgage in LA, plus the cost of a pricey apartment in SF along with the flying back and forth every weekend. Not being told he had a job offer that would have kept the family together, made it possible for Kate to keep her job and be near her ailing mother would have been the last straw for me.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Isn't Toby working for a start-up? I'm pretty sure that's what they said. If this were real (which it isn't of course) he is likely to have a salary that would be less than the industry standard for his work, because the idea of start-ups, even well funded ones, is that you get all your money - years later when your company gets sold - from the stocks you're granted for peanuts when you join. So I'd be surprised if Toby (in the real world) would be getting more than $200K salary. Probably plus lots of perks, but nothing that would realistically make him able to afford a $4M (or $3M maybe if he has capital) mortgage.

Not that that's really relevant, as Chandler and Joey rented that NY apartment... tv is not real life.

My view on the relationship is that Kate is the practical one and Toby is the impractical one. They tried a long distance relationship in great part because of Toby's need for control, his ego, as well of course because of his want to provide for his family. It didn't work, again in great part due to Toby's insecurities, so they have to either split up and live as best they can managing a split family life, or find a way to make it work together. Kate didn't want to live Toby's new life, and Toby didn't want to live Kate's current life (his old life). Unless that changes they are better off finding a new life apart.

I liked the end with Kate. Two things, she climbed the hill when Toby had assumed she couldn't, and she took the job she wanted, something that would give her joy and help support her life with the children. Seems to me that whole scene was symbolic of her realizing she didn't need Toby, and not just that she *could* manage without him, she could have a *fulfilling* life without him too. Yey Kate.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wish I could cosign your post Kitt. Agree with your assessment completely.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But a fortune that takes his family away from extended family is worth what? It is pretty clear that even on this weekend supposedly for him to be with Kate, he was constantly taking calls and being important, also dealing with clients many time zones away, so it would seem that Kate would be pulled away from her brother (when he is in LA) and her mom and Miguel and her friend Madison, who happens to be mother to her niece and nephew who are cousins to her two kids. Toby's job doesn't look very family supportive, and neither does that neighborhood/house on a hill.

Still, Kate went up there with the idea of seeing if they could reconnect as a couple and instead he had scheduled a campaign to show her how successful and popular he was and what he could pay for, including expensive dinners. (It almost felt like when the company I worked for wanted to move our operation from So Cal to Irving Texas and they flew groups of us out, hotel, dinners, video from the governor, line dancing lessons and tours with agents showing various homes, also promises to buy homes here (lol, that was when the market was down, today people are clamoring to buy homes here, especially before interest rates go up), and all very pushy as to how wonderful it would be there and all.. but that meant relocation away from everything here. A few were actually ready to go, but then they sent and email saying, oops, we are not moving.)

So Kate got a sales pitch. She fought back and asked to just hang out, but that really isn't where Toby is anymore, so he still just had to take that call and kind of forgot that oops, his boss knew about the other job offer and assumed that Kate also knew and agreed. So his portrayal of Kate and the kids was kind of false, as has been his recent relationship with all three. But he is the hero for all those flights home because he HAD to work 500 miles away (Oh, but that wasn't true!! Hmm. So he CHOSE to work 500 miles away)

If Kate gets the new job that probably pays better than her old job, but this really isn't about the money but about their relationship and family.

He can keep that job make a fortune (or collect stock options, as Kitt pointed out) and still pay for a fancy school if that is what is needed.

I wish I liked the guy Kate seems to end up with more.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Several posts could use a LIKE button!!

Yes, Kate walked up that hill!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Unless that changes they are better off finding a new life apart.

But not better for their children. JMO.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think so as well.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was guessing that house at around $5 million as well.