TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 10, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: Archive through April 10, 2022 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite threads. GREAT discussion, stories, and shared memories.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Love the reminiscing about the cookies and the First Lady stories are so cool and funny!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, April 04, 2022 - 3:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I forgot to say that my friend said they had Smiley Cookies on the cookie table (a Pittsburgh tradition) at her son's wedding.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, April 05, 2022 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Last episode is May 24.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, April 05, 2022 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’ve read other thoughts on this but I’m so sorry this is coming to an end. I feel they have a lot more story to tell.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, April 05, 2022 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
So, the child actor who played toddler Jack in tonights episode was absolutely amazing! I read that he is visually impaired too. His name is Johnny Kincaid.

https://hiddenremote.com/2022/03/23/baby-jack-us-blind/….

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, April 05, 2022 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought for a while he must have been dubbed by an older child, but if you watch his mouth he said it all. Amazing in such a little guy.

Another tough week, and it's not even properly over.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 4:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I had to keep reminding myself that we have seen older Jack and he is ok!!
I thought a lot of Toby’s anger regarding Jack was justified. When she was showing him how to open the door, I thought to myself ‘what in the heck is she doing???”

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Yes. I’m not sure I would show a sighted child how to open the door at that age.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wonder if it actually makes sense to teach a near-blind child how to get out of the house in case of emergencies. A sighted child would know the door is for exiting, know roughly what their parents do to leave through it, all without being taught. For a non-sighted child they would have no clue how to go from inside to outside should for example the parent with them collapses or worse a fire.

It should come with talk about never opening the door to strangers, and never opening it except with an adult etc. etc. but Kate may have been doing that.

So there might be more to it than we'd know, not being in those shoes.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Good point, Kitt, but Kate made it seem more like him doing ‘normal’ things with no limitations.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
If a child can open a door, it seems to me that a latch would be easy if they really wanted to get out of the room.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
It makes perfect sense to teach a blind child of any age how to navigate around the house, and outside, especially for emergencies. Kids are kids regardless of abilities, and they are going to explore/do things that get them into trouble as well as want to do things they look forward to. My son locked himself in the bathroom numerous times as a toddler but couldn’t unlock the door, to the point where we ducktaped the inside door knob so it wouldn’t happen again. And he left our condo around Jack’s age (also named Jack) and went across the hall to see our neighbor because it was a normal routine to go over there (with me)….kids think they know what they are doing and don’t realize the fear it puts in the parent, nor the potential danger it may be to them.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, April 06, 2022 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was so caught up in the story I didn't even stop to think how a child that young could do all that acting. It was pretty amazing.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 07, 2022 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How old is Jack? Three or four? I think it’s great to teach him things that will help him in the future (obviously) but I can’t see an upside to teaching a child his age how to unlock the door if you don’t want him to go somewhere on his own. It’s too soon. There are plenty of other things to teach him first.

Oh and the little actor is amazing!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, April 07, 2022 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
How could people driving by a little boy with a cane for the blind, walking all by themselves, not stop to help him.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, April 07, 2022 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Young Jack was born March 5, 2019.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, April 07, 2022 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, that is exactly what I said!
At least a couple if people were trying to help him after he fell in the park.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The little boy who plays Jack is adorable!!! And yes, he is barely 3 (I Googled it, too).

My son is also named Jack. When he was not even 2 (maybe 20 months?), we lived in an apartment complex. My husband worked closeby and used to walk to and from work to leave me the car. We used to walk and meet him when he was coming home. One day we passed a small sand pile on our way back. My son said, "Sand!!!!" and wanted to play, but we were on the way home, so I said no. When we got home, I think I went back out to get the mail or something, and (unbeknownst to me) my hubby jumped in the shower. When I came back in, my little guy was missing! We had those door handles that are levers rather than a knob, so Jack was able to open it easily. I was absolutely terrified! I ran all over our complex looking for him by the mail box, by the pool. Finally I found him playing in the pile of sand we'd seen earlier. That was the scariest day of my life!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Remember, Kate actually experienced being in a home that was on fire, so she probably wanted Jack to know how to escape. Of course if they gated him into his room, that might not give him an escape but maybe he would know to go to a window.

I remember when The Little Couple (Bill and Dr Jen) adopted Will, they did a lot of child proofing but Bill pointed out that having the latches to doors leading to their upstairs deck might keep their kids in but would also be impossible for Jennifer to ever reach and he felt better having alarms and teaching the kids rather than creating a situation where they could not escape if they needed to do that.

But we really don't know what had been taught to Jack previously. The issue seemed to be that Toby was home, they were trying to host a celebration, Toby was fixated on his smoker grill, Kate on the eelebration, then the ceiling literally fell in.

Toby failed to secure the first line of defense, the gate, which gave access to the second line of defense, where Kate failed to use the lock.

And Jack just thought that because his parents were acting happy at the park, that was the place to go.

In the flash forward to adult Jack awhile back, when he was using the grill, it DID sound like his girlfriend assumed that the grill itself would be a bad memory. I don't know if we will find out why that is the case. The grill itself had nothing to do with his adventure and his fall, that we have seen so far.

In the previews it seems that Toby does return to L.A. and that they still broke up. So we will see.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The previews seem to suggest we'll be seeing time pass for them over a few years. Not sure if it will advance everybody's time lines, or just give flash forwards for them.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
When they showed the flash forward saying that the Big Green Egg (loved Beth's joke, "Did it come with a Big Green Ham?") is a reminder of the day Jack's parents' marriage blew up, I was so afraid little Jack was going to get burned. Going to the park by himself was bad enough!

I watch this show on Hulu, so no previews for me. Guess I'll just have to wait and see next week.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I also feared that little Jack would get burned and Ididn't want to see that.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, April 10, 2022 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Me neither!!!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, April 10, 2022 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Frankly I was expecting something much more dramatic and horrific than what actually happened and I thought Toby would end up looking awful. Instead, Toby and Kate both messed up and Rebecca was a hero. So nice for Rebecca and a sadly missed opportunity for her family to give her some much needed encouragement and thanks for being such a great person and grandmother.