TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 31, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: Archive through March 31, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I certainly agree that Toby didn’t tell Kate because he felt that she would react negatively to him working on his health and fitness and losing weight. Was Toby wrong about that and what does that say about Kate?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
But I don't think they ever showed or suggested that Toby would be right about that. Kate supported Toby losing weight, she just said she couldn't do it with him right then. And that's totally understandable with a new baby, it's hard enough without one, even ignoring other issues she might have had with her own body journey.

As for going to the gym, she probably would have understood if he'd explained to her. She was hurt when she found out but said she got it. If the gym part were me, I'd ask him to do it during his lunch hour, so he didn't spend extra time away from the baby, instead of after work and spending more time away from home. I think that's totally reasonable... but maybe Kate wouldn't have even done that, she might have just said it was fine, he didn't give her the chance to say what she'd prefer.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
New show tonight... will we have this much to say about Randall?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL Kitt. I’m sure we’ll enjoy discussing it. :-)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Okay... how many bedrooms does that old cabin have?!?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed this episode. So, Randall becomes a US Senator.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Bit weepy, this episode.

Looks like the next episode is the one with the smoker, or whatever that thing is called. Although little Jack seemed to have walked off down the road, I wonder if the deal with it was that Toby wouldn't take his eyes off the smoker (when he should have been checking on Jack) rather than Jack getting burned, which was what I assumed. Didn't Jack have a small scar in the future, not a burn mark?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 3:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Didn't get to see last nights show yet, but will!

Kitt, just wanted to respond to your last post about the Toby Kate storyline. I suspect that we're not alone, just more passionate about what we see as great big "red flags". I don't know anyone who is okay with their spouse being controlling, a liar, and/or a secret keeper.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
While I agree that I’m not okay with any of those things, I find your focus on Toby interesting. For example, I like Randall a lot, yet he has shown similar “red flags”. The difference is Beth and his family have worked through these things with him.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I'm not thrilled with Randall either. He also had times where he expected Beth to go with his wild dreams. The big difference I see is that both Beth and Randall work things out as a team. With Kate and Toby, it seems like he makes the decisions on his own and expects her to go with the flow, which she has done from the beginning even when she was hurt through the process.

Also, as a reminder: Beth's mother took dancing away from her, not Randall. It was Beth who decided not to work on her dreams until later in life. That was not Randall's decision. It would be unfair to blame Randall for Beth's choices in life (not saying anyone did). Randall has always been supportive of her. In fact, I believe that in one of their arguments he actually said that he would have been supportive of her dance dreams if he only knew. Once he knew, he was all in with her dance studio.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
A quote from Randall from this week that caught my ear: "I haven't even decided if I'm interested in it [the opportunity] yet. Beth just got settled into the dance academy. I can't put her through another campaign. I just don't want to make any major life decisions with so much uncertainty in the family."

To me, that's the difference between Randall and Toby.

Not that I knew the quote was coming, but it exemplifies the difference between the dynamics within the couples.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You seem to suggest Kate hasn’t worked with Toby or supported her family, Jimmer. I’m not sure why you feel that way.

She supported his weight loss. She said he should try working in SF if he wanted to. When long distance wasn’t working she went there to explore whether a move would be good for them.

And all the time, except from presumably relying to some extent on Toby’s income, she’s had to take almost full responsibility for the children and running the family.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just an anecdote that I read, Justin Hartley (Kevin) directed this episode. He did a good job.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It was a great episode. So many tear jerker moments.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
There was a lot of restraint in Randall’s performance at the end. This road trip with Rebecca reminded me of the road trip with his father.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm just popping in to say I loved this episode, yes, lots of teary moments for me. I found myself wondering why I can't remember the sweet and tender times with my own children at that age. Not that I had triples but they were 2 years apart so sometimes I felt like I had twins. But then this thought popped into my mind, DH worked 10 hour days and I worked part-time. So maybe the blur might be due to fatigue, motherhood and being a wife/homemaker all at the same time. I'm giving myself a break here for not being able to remember the quiet, tender moments. I do know they happened but I can recall specifics and that does bother me a bit.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I have always disliked the Deja storyline. Tonight I disliked it even more.

I'm glad Rebecca explained why she didnt pick Randall.

When they showed the boxes at the end, sad that Kate's appeared empty. I guess Kate's will start to fill now with the blind school accomplishments

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You seem to suggest Kate hasn’t worked with Toby or supported her family, Jimmer. I’m not sure why you feel that way.

Oh I don’t feel that way. I like a lot of things about Kate. There have been some strong words used to describe Toby and I was just trying to offer another perspective. I forget who told him in the scene from the future that Rebecca would want him there but it is nice to see that, despite whatever failings he may have, Toby still seems to have a valued place in the Pearson sphere in the future.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, he's a big part of their family during important times (not to mention Jack and Hailey(?)'s dad), so it makes sense he should be there.

Pamy, I thought Kate's box seemed a bit empty too. But Randall has probably had public and school achievements all his life, Kevin has publicity from all his tv/movie work... must be difficult to fill a box that size for a "normal" person like Kate.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven’t seen the latest episode yet but what you said about Kate’s box seeming a bit empty got me thinking that Kate hasn’t had the exceptional kind of life that we’ve seen with Randall and Kevin.

They didn’t highlight much about her as a child or teen and then her dad dying sent her into a further downward spiral. We only really start to see her showing an interest in life when she starts dating Toby.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think she's always been about other people, first her dad, and then particularly Kevin. We've seen her looking out for him a bit as a teen, and when the show started she was basically his mother/PA doing everything for him while he worked on The Manny.

So it seems like she got her fulfillment out of that, and when it ended, and she'd not made a life that revolved around herself not others, that she got a bit lost.

Then she found Toby, loved the family role and grew again. And now with Toby's distance she's learning to become more emotionally self-reliant and realise she can support her family (new and old) and ALSO have things for herself.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2022 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes her character has shown some admirable growth.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 31, 2022 - 1:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was a good episode. I always like road trip stories, though this was a bit improbable. But a sweet time for them.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, March 31, 2022 - 3:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Being from Pittsburgh I can say, Eat n Park and the smiley cookies are a real thing.

The restaurants are still around.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 31, 2022 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I disagree that Kate has always been about other people. I think she has been largely selfish and self centered, especially after Jack, who really enabled her, died.

I do think she is finally maturing.

I still dislike Deja. Randall seems to completely forget Tess and Annie. That is unless he asks them something about Deja.