TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
QUICK QUESTIONS

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
ARCHIVESHeckagirl631725 30 11-28-17  8:54 pm
Archive through February 06, 2018Heckagirl63125 02-06-18  4:49 pm
Archive through April 23, 2018Rosie25 04-23-18  8:25 pm
Archive through May 26, 2018Texannie25 05-26-18  12:13 pm
Archive through August 28, 2019Grooch25 08-28-19  12:47 pm
Archive through May 26, 2020Roxip25 05-26-20  1:57 pm
Archive through September 07, 2020Teachmichigan25 09-07-20  9:09 am
Archive through May 03, 2021Y2krazy25 05-03-21  4:22 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 03, 2021 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Y2, I think it is the idea that if you are cooking it at home with no health regulations, then you could have a cough and be coughing into the food you are preparing.

We are going to our condo village's first shared food event tomorrow, an indoor Cinco de Mayo celebration, bring your own drinks and an appetizer to share. I am a bit leery about the shared food. But I guess we have all been vaccinated.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 03, 2021 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
But Juju, I haven't seen any reports that coughing on food will spread the virus. Did I miss that?

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Monday, May 03, 2021 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
But we can't have big orders of take-out and then serve it at bank either. We can order individual dinners and then eat together in lunch room, but not serve out of same food containers. I might not be explaining clear enough. But I just don't really see the difference.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 04, 2021 - 12:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have been individually wrapping any treats I take anywhere. Just today I received some individual cupcakes containers as I have been wanting to make some cupcakes and try the Russian decorating tips I got as a gift and have yet to use.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 04, 2021 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, no, have not seen any reports, was just theorizing why that might be. I HAVE, however, somehow gotten into social media threads of people telling how they run for the hills whenever the office holds potlucks, and how sick they have gotten from the food. Those threads have made me think about potlucks in general. I usually don't eat much anyway, just crackers and cheese, nuts, olives, raw vegetables, chips, and whatever Bigdog brings, unless it has jalapenos in it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 04, 2021 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I know about potlucks. I haven't ever gotten sick from them but you just never know how other people keep their kitchens clean.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
A couple of weeks ago I made focaccia bread for the first time. I gave myself a B+ as I thought the bottom of the bread could have been a bit a crisper. I even added fresh rosemary. It was a hit, huzzah!
Despite bread being absolutely delicious, my husband and I rarely eat it as we have been working on getting healthier and losing weight following a protein based program. As some family members are visiting this weekend I decided to make tasty focaccia bread again as I could send it home with them, I was going to divide the dough and make 1/3 with rosemary, 1/3 with dill and 1/3 plain. Gathered all my ingredients, got the yeast blooming, put it all together and it did not work. At all. It was a crumbly mess, no idea why, I followed the same recipe as the first time I made it, checked that I was doing it correctly. Grr, but ok, I had another packet of yeast. Same ding darn thing happened again. My trash basket now has 2 batches of crappy dough and I have no bread. Hubby goes to the store for more yeast. 3rd time will be the charm. Nope, not at all. As the dough was so dry I kept adding more olive oil this time. Although it did not come together correctly, hubby convinced me to give it a try so instead of tossing it, I put it aside to raise. It did not raise.
Also, while I was kneading the last batch of this godforsaken dough my fingers curled into a fist and I could not straighten them out. Some sort if weird cramping? Shocking and painful.
I generally like baking but so many disasters coupled with 3 times the dishes and sweeping has rather annoyed me.

I also made a strawberry rhubarb cobbler. I was almost finished, just putting the topping batter on the fruit mix win I hear an odd little ping sound. My first thought was a button, but my buttons were covered by my apron and I have lost a rather significant amount of weight and these buttons are not strained by any means. I look down at my batter and what do I spy but my pretty aquamarine earring. I do not spy the back of said earring. Not in my hair, clothes, apron pocket, the counter or floor. Look in the batter, nope. Look are the almost completed cobbler. Start looking thru that, think, minerals are good for you right? No, not earring back minerals. Sweep the floor again and check broom bristles in case it is caught in them. Nope. Ready to chuck the whole thing in the disposal and think to widen my search in the off chance the back fell off before the gem part of the earring. Found it on the floor on the other side of the room. At least I didn't have to toss my cobbler. It is a bit juicy but I am calling it a win just so I can have one today.

I'd really like to go to bed as it is nearly 1:00 am but still waiting for family to arrive. The plane was due around midnight and it is almost an hour to my house plus getting bags and a shuttle to the parking garage so may be awhile yet.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 4:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I always hurry to this folder whenever I see it is in use! I am a foodie and love learning new things! I have cooked and baked and distributed all through COVID, and NOBODY has refused anything or even looked skeptical! Now - yes - most people know that I spent years volunteering in a commercial kitchen with a variety of chefs, and can be assumed to keep a sanitary kitchen, but giving stuff away has not been a problem here.

Sugar - my only suggestion about the cause of your bread issue is SUPER high humidity?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I did think of that Tntitanfan, it was really hot, high 90's if not 100 degrees but the humidity wasn't too bad.

I may try the bread again later, I have 5 packets of yeast but will need to get more flour as I have already wasted 15 cups.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Q: Do hotdogs have a shelf life? I found some in my meat bin, which could be a year old, LOL, and I wondered if they were still good. Thoughts?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Sunday, June 20, 2021 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Sugar: Somehow you are killing your yeast. Either your blooming is too hot or too cold.

Dipo: Yes, all packaged meat products have a "use by" date. Throw those away.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 20, 2021 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Landileigh, I hate that I have to buy 8 when I just want one, LOL.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 1:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Freeze the remainder! I average one package a year!

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 6:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Why are there no threads for discussing cooking shows - or do I just not know where to look?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I don't think so Landileigh, the yeast was fine, I took the temperature of the water and it bloomed correctly. I'm tempted to try to make focaccia this afternoon, the weather is beautiful and perhaps it was just too hot last week.

The strawberry rhubarb cobbler was tasty.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan, they are in "other reality" ... https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/156/14367285.html&lm=1622850708

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 5:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Dipo!

Not very active threads!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Successfully made focaccia bread both plain and with rosemary last week! I'm glad it worked as I was able to give some to my niece who has many food allergies, and this bread has no eggs.

I am making another batch right now. I have a beautiful red tomato from my garden some lettuce ready to pick and we are having BLT's on fresh focaccia for dinner. Will need to freeze some of the bread or take it to my sister.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Huzzah! My bread was delicious.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Wednesday, June 30, 2021 - 2:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 30, 2021 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Well, just between us Tntitanfan, I have come to suspect that I made the same mistake all 3 times. I dont think I used enough water in the yeast.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, July 01, 2021 - 3:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Glad you got it figured out! Foccacia forever!!!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 01, 2021 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Foccacia Forever

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, November 29, 2021 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Any guesses as to what our Thanksgiving treat references?
Thanksgiving

Mysticlady

07-05-2007

Monday, November 29, 2021 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mysticlady a private message Print Post    
Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving! Charlie Brown & Snoopy served that to Peppermint Patty, Marcie & Franklin.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, November 29, 2021 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes, that is correct Mysticlady! A sister and nephew guessed right away, took a minute for others but it was a hit with all.

Mysticlady

07-05-2007

Monday, November 29, 2021 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mysticlady a private message Print Post    
I had just watched that special a week or so ago on PBS. I look forward to the Peanuts' Shows every year!

Glad it was hit for all!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2021 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh that’s so cute!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 30, 2021 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you, it was my husband's idea and we had fun putting it together. I suspect t he will want this to be an annual thing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: