TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 26, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: Archive through May 26, 2018 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, too funny Rosie.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm in the middle of making a few batches of banana bread. The first batch is almost done cooking and I just realized I forgot to add salt.

Is this going to affect the bread since it has baking soda and powder in it?

Thanks.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I don't know how much it will affect the flavor of the bread, but it the flavor was acceptable, it would make for a good low sodium dessert for those of us trying to lower our sodium intake. ehehe

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It should only affect the flavor.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
And if you start NOT adding salt every time you're told to add salt, you will soon find it tastes fine without it and you'll find many things "too salty".

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, ladies. What a relief. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I want to go and sit in Grooch's kitchen and smell the banana bread that is baking. I can guarantee that not adding the salt doesn't affect the aroma, and we eat with our noses first!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Aww, thanks, Roxip. :-)

I'm making them for my mother's memorial next week to give them to banana bread worthy people. She was always making it and passing it out (mostly the men. Women could make their own, she'd say. Lol!) I think it's a nice, tangible memory that I can do for her.

It was raining today so it was a good day to make it and help keep the house warm. I got 4 loaves done today. I'm going to cut them in half and freeze them.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Did you sample one to see how it tasted?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Lol! No, didn't even think about it. But my brother found out I made some, so he's getting one of the halves tomorrow. I'll see if he says anything.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
LOL I hope he notices the difference and that he likes it. I was thinking that I heard or read somewhere that salt counters sugar. A little salt mixed with sugar will cut the sweetness some. If that is true, Maybe one of the great cooks here can comment on that, it is possible that your banana bread will taste extra sweet. So, if all that is true and your bread tastes sweeter than usual, maybe the next time you could cut down on the sugar some, as well. Sugar is something else that many of us need to cut back on.

I hope someone can comment on all that because I am definitely not a cook. ehehe

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Omitting the salt will likely change the flavor of your banana bread.
I'm guessing that the loaves looked ok, similar to what you have baked before.

I would certainly taste ( if I didn't loathe bananas) the bread before giving it to anyone.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Grooch, I m curious as to why you are giving people half a loaf of a banana bread vs the whole loaf. Did you bake them in larger loaf pans?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Maybe she is giving away a whole lot of banana bread...half a loaf is better than none at all!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
The recipe says it makes with 2 1-lb loaves or 1 2-lb loaf.

I thought I would get the 2 loaves with the pans I use, but I only got one, so I have to double the recipe when I make it. I think the pans are 5x9.

The recipe comes from the Forum Feast cookbook. It's one of those self published one's that everyone contributes recipes. But it must have been very popular because its been reprinted numerous times.

My mother added walnuts to it, but I don't know if she added a cup or 1/2 a cup, so I settled on 3/4 cup and see how it goes. I also know she would decrease the amount of sugar these types of recipes use, but I don't know how much. It could be as much as cutting it in half. But for now, I'm using what the recipe calls for before I start playing with it. It takes a long time for bananas to go bad when you want rotten bananas. Lol!

A half loaf is plenty, because it's for the person who gets it, and you can only eat so much at a time. It's pretty dense, unlike the stuff you buy at the store.

I'm laughing because I never knew people were so interested in banana bread. Thank you. :-)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Even I like banana bread

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I have a feeling next time I make banana bread I'm going to have to mail some to fellow tvchers. Lol!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, April 27, 2018 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
****whispers verrrrrry softly**** can't stand the stuff...I'll send mine to whomever asks first
****tiptoes out****

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 6:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
The ricer worked great for egg salad. Cleaning the ricer was similar to cleaning a grater but it sure smashed those eggs in record time.

psst Teachmichigan

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, May 18, 2018 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
****quietly slides her slices of banana bread to Rosie****

***sneaks back out***

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, May 18, 2018 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW Q: Which is better Ribs, Beef or Pork? Trying to decide what to get for Memorial Day.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Ribs are festive.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am from Texas, but I think pork ribs are best. They can take on all sorts of fun rubs or marinades (spicy and sweet).