TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 07, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: Archive through September 07, 2020 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 3:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I wonder if the problem might be the order in which you are dumping! As a general rule you alternate portions of the dry and wet ingredients, atarting and ending with dry -

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL Roxip, so glad I am not the only one.

Oh, I didn't know there was an order. I just followed the recipe... anyway, it is just as easy for me to mix things up in a bowl, LOL.

Just made a blueberry-lemon loaf and it took all of 5 minutes to mix the ingredients.... turned out fabulous.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The alternating wet/dry is just a general rule for any baking of cakes, cupcakes, etc.

Blueberry lemon load sounds delicious. Blueberries are still a few weeks out here - Strawberries and peaches just coming in!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan, I am not sure when the actual season for blueberries is here in CA, but I was shocked at how dirty they were, LOL. I put them in a colander and washed them down as was shocked at all the crap that was in the bottom of the colander when I fished them out.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 4:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
You folks in CA probably don't have "seasonal" food in the way the rest of us do! Yes, we can get fruits and veggies of almost any kind year round with the modern transport available, but we still like our produce local and fresh out of the field/orchard when we can get it here. For another instance, homegrown tomatoes should be planted early enough to have them on 4th of July hamburgers.

Farmers' thrive in the summer. Many of them are from truck beds in church or school parking lots in the summer with wares picked that morning for sale. The high rise where I live has had a summer produce market under a tent in our parking lot for years. The guy who owns it brings Amish-grown produce in from Ethridge, a community about an hour south of us three to five times a week.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Has anyone ever baked and/or eaten cookies with edible flowers?
My nephew is supposed to get married in August, ,and they have asked me to make some edible flower cookies.
I cannot find any flowers at this time. From what I have researched not that many have what I would consider a good flavor. I forget which flower is supposed to have a citrus taste which could be fine but many others seem to have grassy, peppery or medicinal flavor. Ick!

I don't really want to make pretty albeit inedible cookies.

When I was first asked to make cookies last fall, I was assuming she wanted the sugar cookies I usually make and I was going to make bridal dress and tuxedo cookies.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
TNTitanfan, I would love that! I know we have several farmers markets over at the Kaiser facilities but it would be wonderful to have one in my parking lot.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sugar - the only "flower" products I have had are nasturtium blossoms and baby leaves and poppy seeds. If the flowers are said to be "peppery," try combining them with chocolate! Think Mexican hot chocolate flavor. I have had poppy seeds in all kinds of dishes, including cookies. I can't say what I have had has a distinct tast; more of texture thing for me.

Dipo - And residents of the building get a 10% discount for our "inconvenience" is sharing our back parking lot! The buy who owns it ALSO gives a 16' tall gorgeous Christmas tree for our lobby AND two gigantic wreaths beside each side of our front entrance door!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
A house in a neighborhood I drive by on my way to work adertised "Amish Produce" for sale a couple of years ago. I didn't buy any, but I always wondered what makes it "Amish". It was a very modern house.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Friday, May 29, 2020 - 4:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I don't know for sure either! However I suspect that they don't use commercial fertilizers; after almost every family owns at least one horse and farmers usually have more for plowing, etc. I will ask Hal when I see him!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Received some edible flowers today. Will make cookies and report back in a few days.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
***volunteers to do taste testing ... they can be sent via e-mail, right?? ****

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 3:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
What sorts of flowers did you get, Sugar? I always like to learn more about foods/cooking.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am a bit perplexed by the flowers my soon to be niece sent as I don't think some of the flavors suit cookies. Perhaps she just chose pretty and didn't pay much or any attention to the supposed flavors. Or maybe she did.

Borage Blossom: Cucumber flavor.
Good for green and fruit salads

Micro Blend Premium Flowers: No flavor mentioned Noted as good for cupcakes, desserts, cocktails, soups & salads.

Cilantro Blossom: Intense coriander flavor (lemon/lime)
Of course many people despise cilantro as it tastes soapy to them.

I am about to wash and attempt drying them so I can make some yet today.

I am given to understand that e-mail cookies have no calories.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
E-mail cookies have zero calories and require no extra exercise. You are correct. Do you prefer a 1 to 5 rating scale or 1 to 10?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Regarding the edible flower cookies, I made a practice batch that my tasters said were fine, the Micro Blend flowers being the favorite. I made some for the wedding. They all looked cute. I forgot to taste one myself! I couldn't eat any from the practice batch as I was having surgery then I was so busy I forgot to try one at the wedding. I did have one of my delicious sugar cookies, I made bride dress cookies. Thankfully my niece helped me decorate or the cookies would have been salty from the many tears I would have shed decorating 120 cookies all by myself.
The bride was happy with them so all was good.

I found a cute Halloween pumpkin peanut butter cup recipe on Pinterest. Does anyone know why so many recipes with a peanut butter center call for powdered sugar to be added to the peanut butter? A binder to make it less runny? I made a domed brownie with a peanut butter center cake last year that also called for powdered sugar and cream cheese. A wee bit sweeter than I thought necessary. Do I really need the powdered sugar? I am tempted to just use a bit of cream cheese.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Wedding cookies

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Wedding cookies

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The cookies were made with love by a home baker so not very fancy and a blurry picture.
The flower cookie pictures are from the practice batch. I did sprinkle a bit of sugar on them for the wedding because I thought they needed it. I'm told the lime zest was a nice addition.

I am so irritated with myself that I forgot to have one. My husband and I have been working on getting healthy and have lost quite a bit of weight so won't make any more. Nor do I want to pay for more edible flowers.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Those flower cookies are beautiful! And even more special because they were made with love.

You outdid yourself, Sugar. :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you Grooch.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 2:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am a pretty fair cook, but not much of a baker, but you inspire me!!

I HAVE been baking more these last six months. No one in my building seems at all reluctant to eat anything that comes out of my kitchen!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Halloween Peanut Butter Cups
I made Halloween Peanut Butter Cups!

Altocat

09-06-2020

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Altocat a private message Print Post    
Those look AMAZING! I have those molds too but haven't made anything that looks that good!!!

Did you end up using the powdered sugar for the fillings?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Found a recipe that uses coconut flour with a bit of maple syrup and vanilla instead of powdered sugar to bind the peanut butter. May have to give this a try over the holidays this year.

https://nourishedbynutrition.com/healthy-chocolate-peanut-butter-cups-copycat-reeses/