TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
~iPhone/iPod/MP3/Itunes/Etc Help!~

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: ~iPhone/iPod/MP3/Itunes/Etc Help!~ users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 07, 2012Merrysea25 08-07-12  3:03 pm
Archive through January 21, 2013Colordeagua25 01-21-13  6:28 pm
Archive through September 26, 2015Teachmichigan25 09-26-15  5:47 pm
Archive through July 26, 2018Colordeagua25 07-26-18  7:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Lightning cables for iPhones are getting real cheap these days if you don't insist on Apple brand. Look on eBay. Or, even if you do insist on Apple, you should find them on eBay or even at thrift stores. People have SO many cables these days, and end up with extra cables that they end up donating the orphan cables from devices they no longer possess.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 1:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
So it's not the cable. Hadn't been able to find wall charger for phone until 3:00 this morning (middle of the night?). Got up and started looking for it. Found it! Plugged phone with cord into wall charger. It's charging. Problem is not the cord. Make an appointment with Genius Bar. Lucky that I'm only four miles from Apple Store. Not lucky with road construction around here. Gets to be ridiculous. Puts me in a foul mood -- along with not enough sleep.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Colord - do you have more than one USB port on your Mac? They go bad, maybe try a different one?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It’s Apple’s new protection thing so people can’t hack in using the connector if the phone hasn’t been accessed otherwise for a while (that’s probably why it sometimes works - you looked at your phone recently before plugging it in). Just use your passcode to unlock the phone and it will work. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh, didn't know about that!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It took me a while before I caught onto what it was doing. They publicized it but not in a very direct way.

It would be helpful if it returned some sort of message but even that could compromise it. As you know, Apple takes security very seriously.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Only one USB port on Mac.

Jimmer? When I plug phone into Mac, I now get a message on phone to unlock it so it can connect to Mac. That started only app. couple months ago.

After phone was fully charged, I plugged it into Mac. No DING DING DING. That's good. I don't know why the continuous DING sometimes. When it does, I can't unlock the phone. Doesn't allow anything to be done with it.

Won't be going to Apple Store tomorrow. Next time I'm that way I will stop in and ask.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Colord - my local Mac friend says an intermittent problem could be that you have some dust/debris build up in one of the ports. Try cleaning them?

Also, it can happen if your battery is under 50% and you are trying to sync to iTunes.

There are about a half dozen other things too, but he said those were the most likely.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, July 27, 2018 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yesterday when I was talking with AppleCare my phone battery was down to app. 50% cuz couldn't connect with Mac so iTunes wouldn't recognize phone.

Phone is plugged into Mac now / much of today. Everything is working. No DING DING DING. Don't ever want to hear that again.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 2:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Maybe it was a one-off but the strangest thing happened with my iPhone yesterday. I got a voicemail notification and it turned out to be one of those card services scam calls. Why is that strange? It’s strange because while the phone was on it never rang, it wasn’t on silent, I wasn’t on the phone, I didn’t have the “do not disturb” feature on, and no call showed up in the recent call list. Very weird. Like I said could be a one-off occurrence but if it happens again I’ll contact my provider.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
It could be that your phone was out of cell network range, or off, when the call occurred. There are also services that let one bypass an actual call and send it straight to voicemail.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
good catch Zeyna', that has actually happened to me.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 3:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Not sure about my phone being out of range or off as I was home where we have strong signal and because of an ongoing family situation my phone hasn’t been off in days. The thought that there are services, which I frankly would consider a hacking of my phone, that allow somebody to go directly to my voicemail is disturbing. I love technology on the whole but there are times.......

Mysticlady

07-05-2007

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mysticlady a private message Print Post    
I just purchased an IPhone XR (first smartphone) and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on fun/free games to play.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Quite a few of the "free" games have what are called in-app purchases. So you get the game for free and for some of them you can play and have fun for free, but a part of playing it successfully is paying money for these extras. Other free games are supported with ads. Just something to watch for.

One game that I like is called Leo's Fortune. It's this little guy who rolls along (it has a cute story behind it). It has no ads or in-app purchases but it costs more initially (I think it's about $5).

If you like quiz games, there is a game called Quiz-up where you compete against other players answering questions. They have a huge number of categories. It's free but there are annoying ads in the free version so after you try it, if you like it, it's worth paying to remove the ads.

Doodle-jump is another classic game. I think it costs about $1 but there are in-app purchases. But you don't need them to enjoy the game.

Maybe search on those in the app store as a starting point.

Mysticlady

07-05-2007

Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mysticlady a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the help, Jimmer! I will look into the ones that you suggested.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sometimes a game is free with ads or you can pay a few dollars to get the game without ads.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 28, 2019 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
FaceTime bug!

iPhone FaceTime bug lets you eavesdrop on other people
By Heather Kelly, CNN Business
Updated 9:59 PM ET, Mon January 28, 2019

San Francisco (CNN Business) - A newly discovered bug in Apple's FaceTime software lets Apple users listen in on the people they are calling, and even see through their front-facing camera, without them picking-up the call.

The bug, flagged by 9to5Mac on Monday, was quickly recreated by people across social media. CNN Business confirmed the bug multiple times in its own tests.

Apple said in a statement Monday night that it has identified a fix for the problem and will release it in a software update later this week.

To avoid falling victim to the bug, disable FaceTime on all your devices until Apple's software updates have been released.

On an iPhone or iPad, go to Settings -> FaceTime, and toggle off the green button at the top of the screen. To turn it off on a Mac, open the FaceTime app and go to FaceTime on top of the screen, then select "Turn FaceTime Off."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/tech/apple-face-time-bug/index.html

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, November 01, 2019 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
My first and current cell phone is a 8 yr old TracFone. I want to move up into a real smart phone. I want to stay on TracFone because I have a ton of minutes.

I was hoping someone phone smart would look at the Tracfones offered and tell me pros and cons of the best 2 or 3.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm not going to go through them one by one, but if you stick with the Samsung Galaxys or iPhones, versions 6 and above, I'm sure you'll be happy. How I'd choose between them is the which offers a nicer deal.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have a Samsung Galaxy ACTIVE 8. Yes, it's discontinued, but you can find them on Ebay for less than $300.... for ME this was the right choice. I had the active 6 for 3 years, and have dropped and literally thrown it across the room hundreds of times and it still works.

They have a metal case, rather than a plastic one, and for someone who always drops things, it's been a lifesaver.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I agree with Naja. We have iPhones and like them but have friends with Galaxys who seem happy with them. Either would be a good choice.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have a "smart phone" tracfone... no idea what kind of phone it is, LOL, but I like it. It has all the stuff smart phones have but didn't cost much.

Granny2b

07-07-2009

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granny2b a private message Print Post    
We use Total Wireless. It uses Verizon towers, so up here in the hills it is reliable. I have an iPhone that I bought through them for about $180 and my husband uses a Samsung that he got for less than a hundred. both work good, so it just depends on you. Costs are $25 a month for unlimited phone and text and $10 more a month for internet.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, you can just go to Tracfone, and log into your account and buy an iPhone from them. I LOVE my iPhone so much more than I liked my android. It is just so much more intuitive to use. I use Tracfone as well. I just checked the Tracfone website, and they have several iPhone models available, and their prices seem reasonable. I bought an iPhone SE from Tracfone. That is an older model, and I don't see it for sale there now, but there were 6's and 7's that I am sure would be just fine.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Christy, my post was concerning the phones available at the tracfone site since that is what you asked about. They have a nice selection iPhones and Samsung galaxys.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My Tracfone smart phone is a Motorola..

Christy358

07-10-2007

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Thank you all for the input. I was worried about picking a lemon, but seems that as long as I stick with a known brand, I will be fine.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I need something to distract my mind at work. I would like something that I can download podcasts and listen to them later while I work. I know nothing about these kind of things. I can't get WiFi at work (in case that matters in the choices.)

Any suggestions?

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I believe my son downloads podcasts to his phone using Spotify and listens to them when he has a road trip each month. There's also SoundCloud (I think that's the name.) He's downloaded a lot and we've listened to them when on vacation.

I've downloaded podcasts to my Apple Library and listen to them at work.

Hope this helps. :-)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I need iPhone XR help.

I recently installed an update on my iPhone.

Now all my incoming phone calls go directly to my voice mail.

I've google "How To's" and so far I am getting nowhere.

I'll add that I just recently received an iWatch Series 7. I don't know if that has anything to do with not receiving incoming call.

Anybody have a suggestion to fix this wrong?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
iWatch Series 7. Nice!

I think this is something that could vary depending on your phone/data provider. Do they have a tech support line you could call?

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer. I received it for my birthday as a group family gift and they are even paying the additional WiFi Service/Cost added to our WiFi plan. They are paying for one year...to my next birthday in early January 2023.

And lastly, I figured out how to get my iPhone to ring once again and no longer go to voice mail. Don't ask me how I did it because I truly don't remember all the little areas that I switched on both my iPhone and iWatch.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL sometimes experimenting and trying different things is the best way. Great you got it working.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: