TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 07, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: ~iPhone/iPod/MP3/Itunes/Etc Help!~: Archive through August 07, 2012 users admin

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
So this is annoying.... yesterday I bought an album off itunes (Beach Boys 20 greatest hits just fyi LOL). Seemed to have downloaded no problem but this morning I am listening to it and EVERY song stops about 50% in and goes to the next track. I have looked at all my settings but can't see anything that could be causing this. While the song is playing it will show a song length (for example) of 3:13 and you can see the progress so it doesn't seem that only half the song downloaded or at least itunes seems to realize the full song is 3:13 but stops about 1:40 anyway. Any suggestions before I email apple?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 12:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
So I finally got an Iphone. The reception is much worse than my blackberry, but can anyone tell me why it won't use the cell connection to access the Internet (or e-mail or anything else)? It won't pick up our wifi unless I'm within 15 feet but with my data plan I shouldn't need wifi. Any ideas?

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 6:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Lol. Because it's an iPhone? :-)

I think they are not the best reception esp for calls. People often sound like they are talking thru a bowl of Jello.

This is a music thread tho... May want to start a smartphone thread as the two are not the same.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Can't tell you Teachmichigan. We've had iPhones for the better part of four years and they work great for us. As far as I know my iPhone looks for an wi-fi connection first and if none available defaults to the phone connection. Maybe I have a good wireless router but I can even go across the street to talk to my neighbor and still be connected via wi-fi. My wife has a Blackberry for work and it isn't worth a darn here at home. Bad reception and it breaks up all the time.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Not an expert but check this:

Click on the settings icon and then on 'Carrier'. It should list whichever company it is you have service through and it should be set to 'Automatic'.

That's the only thing I can think of, hopefully it's that simple. If I was a ten yr old I am sure I would know more. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's now an iPhone thread as well. iPhone, iPod and iTunes are similar enough that they work fine in the same thread. They all start with an "i" for a reason. :-)

I'm not sure why you aren't getting better Wi-Fi reception. Even if you have a good data plan, it's better to use Wi-Fi at home because it is a faster connection and uses less battery.

For the cell connection, go into Settings then General and then Network and make sure that 3G and Cellular Data are both on.

Another simple fix is just re-booting your phone (i.e. just turn it off completely and back on again). Just hold down the power button until you see the bar asking you if you want to turn it off and then turn it off. Then turn it back on.

If that doesn't work you can try a reset. Hold down the power button and the home button (ignore the bar if it appears) until it resets.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? They can be very helpful. Or call your cellphone provider. They should be able to help you with the cell phone part.

I've had very good success with iPhones. The support is excellent compared to many other phones.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Teach - to override your phone's attempt to connect to wi-fi and to use cellular instead while in wi-fi range, go into settings and turn off wi-fi. Your phone will then use cellular for all Internet business.

Honestly, the iPhone has a robust wifi connection, so it may be your home router.

If you can visit an Apple Store and are finding a few issues that don't seem right, let a genius test your phone. If it has any defects and is under warranty, they will hand you a new phone.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've done all of the above. My son's new Iphone (purchased at the same time as mine) works fine at home. It still doesn't have the signal my Blackberry does, but it connects. Mine is only working for call. No data whatsoever unless I'm literally sitting right next to our wifi router/modem.

I'm heading to the AT&T store this afternoon. If they can't figure it out, fix it or give me a booster, I'll be returning it. No sense paying more for less. I do hope they'll fix it, though, because there is actually an APP for Iphone that allows me to add to any of my google calendars. With BB I can see them all, but I can't add to any except my main calendar.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Teach, make sure you back up your iphone before you go in, in case they decide to replace it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The fact that your son's phone works fine demonstrates that the issue is with your particular phone. They should just replace the phone if it isn't working. If AT&T won't help you, Apple will. That is what is so good about Apple products.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Or buy Android. Which is now the biggest selling market.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It may be the biggest seller but it's not well supported. Which may matter more to some people than others. Personally I enjoy tinkering with this stuff but it's not for everyone.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The AT&T store rep was awful today. At one point she refused to call about my plan (said I had to do it - and they've done it at least once before when Alltel first switched over), then she blamed Sam's Club for everything and when she said, "I can't help you if you don't want my help," I walked out.

I went back to Sam's and the same young man was there. He was LOVELY once again. There was NO data at all on my plan, so he called and got a supervisor who fixed that problem. Then, when their own wifi wouldn't connect, he got me a new phone and called to get the phone switched. It took another 45 minutes (after literally over 90 minutes last night), but I'm set now.

I will be writing a letter to Sam's and one to AT&T. The Sam's CSR also gave me the name of the regional rep they deal with who is based at the corporate store I went to. SHE will also be hearing from me! I would have gone to Apple, but there isn't a store within 70 miles of us.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think you should have a separate "iPhone" or smartphones thread. There is a MAJOR difference between MP3 players, iPods, music players, and so on. While iTunes may be a common denominator between the Apple "i" devices, it's not a requirement for music devices. Just sayin'...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All of the conversation in this thread at this point involves "i" devices which are all very similar. There is already a separate thread for Android devices. I appreciate your opinion and if you want to create another thread to discuss mp3 music players you are welcome to do that.

We're pretty off-topic discussing this here at this point so if you have any further concerns they should be addressed to the Moderator email account. Thanks!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's great that the Sam's rep did such a good job getting things setup properly. I haven't had the best experience dealing directly with phone carriers up here either so it's great to have an alternative.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
ICloud question - I chose to back up using ICloud rather than my computer. Somewhere, I lost the only picture I'd taken of my nephew at his birthday party. Other than that, both my son's and my Iphones are up, running and things are working smoothly. We set up a separate Icloud for his backup, but we share the Apps/Store accounts. Between Audible, ITunes and the Amazon Cloud app, I have SO much music and audiobook options, I'm in heaven! :-)

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Teach- if you are asking how to find that one lost photo, I Googled to find info as I don't use iCloud for backup. I'm not sure this is your situation exactly but will post it just in case.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4087381?start=0&tstart=0

(As I read that article again, I'm thinking one lost pic is lucky and you might be better off not doing anything too complicated to try to find it. Risky?)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It was the only picture on there, so I'm not terribly worried. Thanks for the link. :-)

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Oh that's right - you had just gotten the phone. lol I was imagining losing a year of photos or something horrific, just trying to get the one back. :-)

Glad you are up & running!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, August 06, 2012 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I want to buy an MP3 player, so that I can listen to music at work. Here's one I'm looking at:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/1GB-Small-MP3-Player-Red-M3003_p20511.html

I know nothing about these things. Would this be a good one? Will I have to buy anything extra... like a memory card, a cord, etc. Will I have to buy music off of the internet? Any help will be appreciated.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Hecka, Bigdog just bought his first one too last winter, and I was so embarrassed that we knew nothing about the MP3 technology, which is now all but obsolete (but still very good technology).

Now, this is really the blind leading the blind, but off the top of my head, 1Gb is probably pretty small, maybe too small. I think ours is 4 Gb, and likely most people would consider that too small.

We did not have to buy any music, as Bigdog was able to put his CD's in the computer and save the music he wanted as files, and then he could input them to his MP3.

And that is as far as this blind person can go tonight. somebody more techy will have to intervene.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Mostly echoing what Juju said, the one that you are looking at there is pretty small and inexpensive. I doubt that it would stand up to a lot of use. One gig is also quite small for storage. You would probably want to consider 8 gig. The other thing you would likely want that this one doesn't have is to have the ability to create playlists (lists of songs you want to hear) and/or the ability to select songs that you want to hear.

You can make MP3's from existing CD's or you can buy them directly from Amazon or iTunes.

Some people don't like Apple products because they consider them over-priced and restrictive (I think the price and restrictions are balanced by other positives) but IMO Apple products are easier to get started with (all the more if you can visit an Apple Store). They work fine with Windows.

As a comparison to the one you are looking at you might want to consider an iPod Nano. Yes it is much more expensive.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html

There are considerably less expensive alternatives to the iPod nano out there as well that perhaps someone else could recommend.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If you get an Ipod of any sort, all Amazon music can be easily transferred (plus Amazon keeps it in their Cloud). We've got two other MP3 and MP4 players that are not Ipods, but they rarely get used as they are a royal pain in the patootie to sync.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, you will not have to buy a cord; it comes as a USB device that you can plug directly into your computer. As has been mentioned, you can download CD's onto your computer and copy them over to the MP3 player. As for the size, it depends on how much you listen to music and how much you feel you need to load onto it at any given time. You can always delete songs to add more, while keeping the songs on your computer so you can put them back any time you want.

It looks like that one has some good reviews, and it's hard to beat the price!