TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: ~iPhone/iPod/MP3/Itunes/Etc Help!~: Archive through September 26, 2015 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm debating about signing up for iTunes Match (annual subscription). I have what I think is a lot of music. Most of it does come from physical CDs I've purchased through the years. Some I bought from iTunes and then burned the music onto disks. But I want to get rid of a good number of purchased disks. Just keep real favorites. Can't quite bring myself to do it? Does anyone just have music stored on a computer, iPod, mp3 player, or in a cloud and not have it on a physical disk? Are you comfortable with that? Any problems? Likes or dislikes?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
if there was only 1 or 2 songs on a CD that I liked, I imported it into iTunes, and then sold the CD at Rasputin's. Then I backed up all of my iTunes to my SkyDrive. I have 4 different clouds for different things. i use them as backups for my home computer, not just to completely store anything.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We haven't bought a CD for a long time now. We have all our music on computer now (plus various other devices). It sure takes up less space and it's easy to access. And it's also easy for us to play it over our sound system if we want to listen to it at home.

The key is making sure that it is backed-up on a regular basis.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
No new CDs in our house. Have been strictly digital for years. I don't burn to CD, but I do back up regularly to an external drive.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We use external drives for back-up as well. The number of songs they can hold at a very reasonable price is staggering.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - I agree. And I admit I'm old enough to remember when they were expensive. lol

I'm sure if I backed up my huge music library to iCloud, I would exceed whatever amount they offer for free. The external solution still works like a charm.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Bonza, that's why mine are split all over. I have gotten a gig here, a gig there, so I have them split all over the place. I also have a 1 TB My Book.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
OK. I back up my computer to an external drive. So safe to use iTunes Match / upload to Amazon's cloud. Then pitch some of my CDs. Just buy music, not physical CD unless particular reason I want it.

I remember hearing someone on the radio years ago say he imported all his music to iPod after spending some time arranging it as he wanted. He then pitched all his CDs. And then . . . he dropped the iPod. Didn't work. Couldn't get it to work. ALL his music was gone!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well that's too bad but the main point is that he had no back-up. Got to have the back-up. And you have to make sure that you are actually backing up the music (that you are backing up the correct folder).

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
well, that actually couldn't possibly be true because if it is on the ipod, it is also in the itunes. so whatever is on the ipod is also on the computer. you can't sync unless it is in both places. I don't use an ipod or external listening device as we have a surround system set up to our desktop Tower. it is AMAZING sound.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, July 05, 2013 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I too think it's impossible to lose all your music on an iPad or iPod and no be able to recover it. What is especially questionable is that he spend some time arranging it the way he wanted. You can't do that directly on an iPad or iPod. We have two iPads and two iPods with our music on it but the source and main storage place is really iTunes on our PCs. Now if for some unexplained reason he went to all the trouble to load all his CDs on his computer, arranged them as he wanted, loaded them to his iPod, and then deleted iTunes on his computer he could indeed have lost it all but that's not a very smart thing to do.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 05, 2013 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's really not impossible though I agree it's unlikely. Load music into iTunes. Sync it to iPod. Then the PC hard drive crashes. It's a little tricky to get music back off an iPod to a PC and before he gets around to doing it he drops his iPod.

I agree that would be a lot of bad luck and easily averted by just backing up the PC.

It's a great way to store music.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
OK. I have subscribed to iTunes Match. Everything that needed uploading is. With my AT&T DSL connection, it took almost 24 hours. That's OK. It's done. So my music is in the iCloud. With Match, it is and isn't a back-up. I back-up to an external drive. Maybe to be safe, want to have one more back-up of my music (etc). A thumb drive? Is a thumb drive just a small external drive? Or should I back-up on-line? Recommend? Or maybe I don't need to back-up any more than one external and Match?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Hope this is right thread. I need help with the BBM app which I am using on an iphone. Going to the USA in a month and trying to avoid roaming/data charges so I was told to download a texting app which will work with wifi and since I am travelling with 2 teen girls who are addicted to BBM I downloaded that one. No problem with the app, problem is with these old, fading eyes of mine. I cannot read the text... even when wearing my reading glasses (which I DO NOT want to do multiple times a day on holiday). So question is.... is there a way to increase the font size within the app? I know how to do it for the rest of my iphone but it has no affect within BBM. THANKS!!!

Cathie

08-16-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 3:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have experience with repairing an iPad. Mine dropped right on the bottom center, denting the power plug area by a fraction of an inch, but it is enough to prohibit plugging in the power cord. Can they replace the whole metal backing? I tried to gently straighten the dent with needle nose pliers but it fid not budge and I don't want to force it. I have an appt at the local Apple store on Monday, hoping they can repair it inexpensively!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's too bad. I'm not sure what they will do. They may offer you a refurbished one at a discounted price or they may try to fix it. Let us know what happens.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Well, my husband used a little pressure with a flat head screwdriver and fixed the problem. Thank goodness! I realize I spend way too much time on the iPad, because 12 hours without it was very frustrating. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my priorities while it is charging, lol. Now to cancel my appointment at the Apple store, even with an appointment the wait is long there. Thanks for the response, Jimmer.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's great that he was able to fix it. We do love our iPads!

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
came here to let you know about a problem with ipad mini. dh received the ipad mini as a gift from work last Christmas. a few months after receiving it, the charging cord quit working. the wire part was not exposed but almost exposed. i remember when he first got it;i thought that could eventually be a problem so was very careful while charging/using it.

when it quit charging, i called apple. still under warranty so just went to mall and got it replaced. i was told, however, i would have to pay for next one. the replacement cord was a bit different...this one had a short/thin plastic tube attached. the end of plastic tube was very sharp...so wondered if that would be any better. after a couple of weeks, realized this cord was better.

still, i'm so careful while charging....making sure no movement/bend. however, while i was in new zealand last june i had no choice but to use it while being charged...and the cord did have to bend a bit. still ok and worked....but did notice a "bend mark" on the cord.

well, this morning, stopped charging again. was ready to buy another cord (at our expense) but called apple anyway. apparently since i have 128 days left on warranty i can get another cord free (not what i was told when i went to store last time).

so, point of my post....if you get an ipad mini expect something to go wrong with the charging cord (or whatever it's called).

so back to sherman oaks mall soon to get a new one.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They are very good about replacing things under warranty. We have a few Apple devices and haven't had any cord trouble but I can see how it could happen.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I was thinking today . . . CDs may be on their way out? Wonder what Apple's announcement will be tomorrow re digital music. Music = digital (-CDs) and vinyl.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Probably a streaming service like Spotify. Except Apple's won't work in Canada.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
NEW QUESTION: Has anyone gone to the updated IOS 9 on Iphone 6? I have only heard reviews from one friend whose phone froze up so badly she had to go the Apple store. She couldn't even do a recovery from a back-up on her computer.

I always wait on new system updates, but I've heard relatively little buzz about this one. Has anyone successfully updated?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've updated three phones and an iPad so far and they're all working fine. :-)

(iPhone 4s, 5s, 6+ and iPad mini 2)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
How long ago did you update? I don't use anything fancy on my phone - the typical twitter, instagram, calendar, messaging, etc. But if I were to lose access, I'd be in serious trouble with schedules.