TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 21, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: ~iPhone/iPod/MP3/Itunes/Etc Help!~: Archive through January 21, 2013 users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I wouldn't buy an i"anything" unless you want to spend the $$ for an Apple product.

I would totally buy the cheapest one you can find (congrats on the job, btw!). You can load and unload music pretty easily (use Amazon Cloud so you can easily transfer files to/from your local system). You can listen to Amazon Cloud from your computer too!

And iPod Shuffles are teeny tiny and really REALLY cheap! :-)

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Goodness, the S&H costs more than the little MP3 player. How can they justify charging that much for shipping such a small item?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The estimated cheapest shipping is $2.07, but yes, the faster ones are as much as the player. I'm still considering it. I hear 1G is pretty close to 100 songs. That's plenty! I just need something cheap to listen to while I'm at work. It's only part-time, too.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Hecka, go the cheap route. That way you can see how much you use it and if you like it. 100 songs is plenty enough for a part-time job. And especially if $$ is tight. (Still, though, congrats on the job!!)

If you can use the Internet during the day at work, which you might not be able to do, you could just use Amazon Cloud. You can upload all your music to the Cloud and play it from the 'net. But your company may not allow you to do that.

Start out small and cheap, and move up if you think you want or need to. Don't start out with the most expensive toys in the toy box. Even the Shuffle is only $49, but I'd go even cheaper than that if money is an issue. (The Nano is over $150.)

Eventually, you may end up with a smart phone. If you do, you can use it as a music player. You can either download music to your phone, or you can use it to play music off the cloud somewhere. So save your money until you know for sure what you want. (I rarely use my iPod any more since my phone is my primary music player. I bring my iPod when I don't want to bring my more expensive phone with me when I go to the beach early in the mornings.)

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Has anyone tried syncing their iPhone/iPod with iTunes 11 yet? I'm having such a difficult time navigating the new interface...and I'm usually not one confused by upgrades, etc but I'm hating it so far!

I've finally found out how to update my apps - but but can't find how to actually sync them through itunes (I know I can do it from the phone itself but it's (usually) so much faster and simpler to sync the updates).

Any help/guidance would be appreciate - thanks!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that the new iTunes version is very confusing. I have it setup to start syncing when it is plugged in so a button with the device name appears near the top right corner.

Does your device sound like it is connecting when you plug it in (is there a beep and does it light up)?

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
I've figured out my error in trying to sync - I had accidentally ejected my device from iTunes. Silly.
I found a video on iTunes about 'What's new' and saw in it what I should look for and realized what I had done and reset the cord for it to be recognized. Just thought I'd update in here for anyone else had similar problems.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer - just found my error. It did recognize it originally, but in my pushing of buttons to see what/where things were I accidentally unenabled it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Great you figured it out! Thanks for letting us know.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
I found a handy article titled "5 Tips to Make iTunes 11 Look Normal Again". There are a few visual displays that are missing when you first launch 11 (why, Apple?), that are easily brought back in the "View" menu.

This is a Mac article - hopefully the PC instruction is the same or similar:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/29/5-tips-make-itunes-look-normal/

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's very helpful, Bonzacat!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
That was very helpful. I was hating the new iTunes interface but hadn't had much time to sort through it to get it to look like it did before. This saved me some time and maybe some frustration. Thanks!!!

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, December 07, 2012 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
The article above helps so much - thank you! Just having the sidebar again helps a lot!

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Friday, December 07, 2012 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
So glad everyone found some good stuff in that article -- such a relief to have our old friend, the sidebar, back! I love a sleek device and a sleek app but, this was ridiculous.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Another iTunes 11 issue - has anyone else noticed that it's keeping itself in the foreground of all windows? When I update apps or sync, etc I usually go to other sites to kill time or to work, but iTunes keeps 'popping' up as the active window. I'm not a fan of this - can it be stopped?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I haven't checked this out personally, but under preferences there used to be an "always on top" option. Is that checked by any chance?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
And what happened to Power Search in iTunes store in iTunes 11? I wanted to check out popular songs for an artist. Only choices / list that came up for the artist were holiday songs. NOT what I wanted.

Wavewatcher

09-09-2006

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wavewatcher a private message Print Post    
I've had my Sony eReader for about 4 months and enjoy it very much. Recently I downloaded Catherine the Great but was
disappointed to find it came out with some chapter mixed up.

Has this happened to anyone else? I tried the customer service
which supposedly is genuinely Sony but got freaked out when they
asked to go on to my hd and then they actually did!! They were
using a software called Rescue. They didn't do anything to help
me with this mix up of the chapters.

Prior to this I have purchased Under the Dome, 419, lots of Nora Ephron,
Brain on Fire, all of the Hunger Games series...no problems. Read them
all, too. Reading The Imposter Bride right now....Catherine next.....

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It may have nothing to do with your reader. It may just be a problem with that particular book.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Some ebooks have real problems with formatting.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Question: Is there a way to organize the icons on my iphone according to how often I have used them? I know how to manually move them around but hoping to find an easier way.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I created folders, so that I could put things like photography together, my reading apps together, my work stuff together. That way all the ones I use the most are on the first screen and I very rarely have to go to any other screen.

To create folders, just drag two icons on top of each other - it will automatically name the folder for you, but you can rename it as it opens in a dialogue box.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach, I have already done that but I am not loving the folders. On a windows desktop you can ask for icons to be arranged by a number of different criteria. That's what I was hoping I could do with the iphone as well.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ahhh...sorry. I'm too new to the Iphone to do much more than the basic stuff (and too apathetic about the thing to spend much time on it! LOL).

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm not real techie, but have had an iPhone for a few years. I think folders is the only way to group apps. You can then arrange the apps and folders as you want them on iPhone pages and arrange order of the apps within the folders.