TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Last of Us

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Last of Us users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 30, 2023Seamonkey25 01-30-23  2:12 am
Archive through February 07, 2023Jimmer25 02-07-23  10:22 am
Archive through February 24, 2023Seamonkey25 02-24-23  3:28 pm
Archive through March 11, 2023Seamonkey25 03-11-23  7:17 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh and this week, the soon to be dead, were not so likeable.

Podcast is excellent.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well that was an interesting and thought provoking ending. I liked how they developed their relationship over the course of the season and made it meaningful.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ITA Jimmer!!! I thought this finale was outstanding.

I really wish they would have said this show was inspired by the game so they wouldnt have to do the game storyline because I accidently got spoiled for game#2 and I dont love the way it goes

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Pamy same. While attempting to better understand this show...I delved in to the video game and unfortunately spoiled some outcomes of this season and next. I can only hope they make decisions to separate themselves from the video as to outcome of plots etc. as they did The Walking Dead, from the comic. But from the podcasts I got the feeling they are trying to stay true to the video game.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to remain spoiler free (I haven't played the game) but I keep hearing disconcerting rumblings like what has been mentioned here.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I have many conflicting feelings about the finale. Mainly, I am shocked at how little I cared about those who died. Outside of Tess and then Bill and Frank, who I still can shed a tear for, I haven't felt a loss at anyone else dying since then. Is it really just me?

What really irked me in this last show was the quick decision to simply remove Ellie's brain and not care that they were killing her. I was expecting to see a team of doctors and scientists but it turns out to be only one? Did he really know for sure that her brain alone would help or was he simply experimenting? I'm not sure I would let my child be killed for that either. It was the first time in the season where I just wasn't buying the storyline. And then I hear it's just a setup for the next enemy that Joel will be fighting in season two. I think I'm good in ending my watch of the show here.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that from a scientific viewpoint, this was a truly wacky idea. She is their only living survivor. I would think they would be treating her as the most important person alive in the world and doing everything in their power to protect her. There are a whole series of tests and procedures they could try before taking the ghastly final step of sacrificing her life by removing her brain in some sort of Frankenstein like environment. Truly a stupid idea.

Of course, all of that said, it's not impossible that could happen, given the extremes under which they have been living. Still crazy though. It would be more plausible if they had showed them living there for months with all sorts of tests and procedures and then this being suggested as a last desperate resort.

Still enjoying the show though. They wanted to reach this moral dilemma and it is an interesting one. They just moved the story along too quickly and you could easily see its video game roots at the end.

LOL though the video game was "better". First he sets the surgeon on fire with a flamethrower and then he shoots him.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Definitely was my reaction. Take some of the cerebrospinal fluid with stem cells. Inject that, use that.

Agree that it sure moved fast, but good to have the flashbacks along the way.

Joel (the actor..) What a remarkable difference at the tender times of this finale.. I couldn't see his heart before and at times he was so attractive, not just physically but heart and soul. Flashes.

Flamethrower. Nice touch 😏

I was hoping I could drop out of this along the way, or at this point before next season, but I think I have to return. I could look for spoilers but right now, I will wait.

Spear

08-05-2001

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
Ellie was in Marlene's custody in Boston. It's plausible that they took samples then and had already done many tests and experiments in the months leading up to the finale.

Anyway, the show didn't depict the Fireflies as unambiguous "good guys" so I didn't think it was too crazy that they'd made such an extreme decision.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
And dont forget...

What did the green grape say to the purple grape????

Breathe.....

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
According to the podcast, she didn't raise Ellie, in fact put her in an opposing group, but knew she would be relatively safe. They said that was why she could be so all or nothing about Ellie, whereas she just couldn't say no to Ellie's mother.

The actress who played Ellie's mother in the finale is Ellie in the game, they said.

The podcast was again really good..

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, the actress that played Ellies mother was so excited to get the chance to be in the series!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished all 9 eps (2 yesterday and the other 7 today. Excellent show...the characters were done so well. Episode 3 was so touching and so sad, and had great casting.

This show had me riveted for hours and now I wish I had spread it out a bit more....but the immersive binge really enhanced the impact of it.

I gotta say, a couple of unexpected casting roles surprised and delighted me. Tessa (Anna Something from Fringe) and Ron Whatshisname in ep 3.

My biggest surprise was when they stopped at that cabin with the older Native American couple. The wife had my full attention the second I saw/heard her...she looked very vaguely familiar but then I realized that her voice is what actually piqued my interest....that was "Marilyn" on Northern Exposure that aired 33 YEARS ago. I surprised myself at remembering her mostly by her voice after 30 years of not seeing her in anything. Also that same episode had another surprise,when they reached the community where Joel's brother lived. It surprised me to see that he was married to "Tara" from True Blood! I have hardly seen her anywhere since TB.

Great story, actors, and plot. It felt perfect the way it progressed, but the way it ended makes me worry they'll mess it up if/when it returns for another season.

Spear

08-05-2001

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 2:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
According to the podcast, she didn't raise Ellie, in fact put her in an opposing group, but knew she would be relatively safe. [...]

I didn't mean that Marlene had custody of Ellie (like a child) since birth. We did see Ellie in a FEDRA military school in the flashback episode. I only meant that Marlene had Ellie in custody (like a prisoner) before handing her over to Joel in Boston.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I kept thinking that woman I the birth scene looked like Ellie, so it made sense that she was ger mother! The knife Ellie carries around made 2 poignant appearances.Joel certainly wasn't going to lose another young girl in his care, abd what a killing machine he can be when he has to!
I hope we don't have to wait too long to see season 2.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 15, 2023 - 2:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Anna Torv. Didn't recognize her, but I loved Fringe.

And Marilyn Whirlwind. Always loved that character on Northern Exposure.

SanFran, listen to the podcasts if you can..

Since, oh, that makes sense.

The podcasters stressed that she wad able to accept that they would take Ellie's brain because she didn't raise her and bond as a mother figure.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 16, 2023 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
SanFran, sorry.. Just read your stance on podcasts. These I get on demand on Spectrum because I pay for HBO and thus have HBO Max, so they play on my TV, which is odd to use a 60" screen just for listening, but I listen and play Yahtzee or eat while listening. Anyway, had I known your feelings on that format, I would not have urged you to listen. But, they do add to the experience.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, March 17, 2023 - 1:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
https://kotaku.com/last-of-us-hbo-show-bloopers-pedro-pascal-laura-bailey-1850233256

Bloopers and funny stuff

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 20, 2023 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I too thought they would try to do some tests on her. And perhaps their intention was not to kill her, but to keep her alive after this surgery, even if she was in vegatative state. Either way, yes I would not have allowed them to proceed. Sorry, not for a guess at the greater good without any proof.

I'm also spoiler-free for season 2, but will be prepared to not like where the story goes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 20, 2023 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It sounds like there might be two more seasons.

I read a lot off that link and following links down rabbitholes, Since, but somehow missed all but a couple of pictures where they laughed or blooped, maybe?

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 20, 2023 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Sea I did the same...I think we went down different rabbit holes lol...I found many stories that were told by the cast and crew. Video content was not a lot.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, April 10, 2023 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching this yesterday with my 22-year-old son. He played both video games (the first one was approx. 10 years ago), so he was my spoiler man. I kept asking him questions about if they would be okay, and sometimes he would spoil me, other times he'd say, "Just wait and see."

I also recognized Marilyn from Northern Exposure. That was a great show!

DS recognized Ashley Johnson (who played Ellie's mom) as the actress who voiced Ellie in the games. She was also the child actress who played Chrissy on Growing Pains back in the late 80's/early 90s.

I didn't recognize Rutina Wesley (Tara from True Blood) but knew she looked familiar. Thanks for that one, SFJF!

Also the actor who played one of the cannibals who wanted to kill Ellie, James, was played by Troy Baker, who voiced Joel in the video game. Son caught that one (recognized his voice!).

Also Merle Dandridge is the name of the actress who played Marlene in BOTH the video game and the TV show. She's a Broadway star. Very cool.

I think Bella Ramsey has been amazing in this series. She's playing a very damaged little girl who's never lived in a "normal" world. She grew up without parents under very abnormal circumstances. Of course she would be "rough around the edges." I think she's done a great job.

And lastly, I absolutely loved the episode with Bill and Frank! Nick Offerman deserves an Emmy for his performance of a grumpy old isolationist who falls in love with his perfect match. It was so beautiful and touching, and Nick played it with such sensitivity. Loved it!

This show gave me a stomach ache every week, but it was a fun ride. Can't wait till Season 2!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, April 10, 2023 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
PS. I was in high school and had a huge, tragically unrequited crush on a boy two years ahead of me when that Linda Ronstadt song was popular. I remember singing along with it and thinking it perfectly described my life, "And I think I'm . . . gonna love you . . . for a long, long time." So dramatic and sad. 😊

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: