TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 30, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Last of Us: Archive through January 30, 2023 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 29, 2023 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I figured if the show is going to be as good as this last episode it deserves its own thread.

Many tears.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 10, 2023 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
This Sunday 15th, new zombie apocalypse show. HBO original, The Last of Us. From the trailer it looks good.

"Based on the mega-hit PlayStation game, about a man and a teenage girl travelling through the US during a zombie apocalypse, this HBO show starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey is a remarkable achievement, writes Stephen Kelly"

I am not familiar with the video game. It doesn't seem to be your run of the mill zombie series. They've got some other monster-like characters that seem to promise to make it a little different?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2023 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Last of Us.. I have thought to check it out but have never been into zombies.. still I might try it.. Five days to decide.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 10, 2023 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
It has really good reviews but Lord knows I don't necessarily like everything that everybody else does lol. I'm a sucker For monster-like, Mythological, supernatural, fantastical content.

My first horror movie I watched as a small child was The Mummy. I BEGGED my mom to let me see it. She said it would give me nightmares. It did. But after that I was hooked on the genre.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, January 10, 2023 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Pedro Pascal-sign me up!! also Little Lady Maramount yes!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Ok, well I watched the 1st episode of the Last Of Us with great anticipation...and was just not into it. Am I the only one? Is it because I am not the familiar with the video game?

Every review I read raves about this series. I feel like I've the only one that feels this way?

I just never really connected with any of the characters...except for one that was killed early on lol

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I heard the great reviews as well. I'm not very far into it (I think I've watched about 20 minutes). It's good but obviously I'm reserving judgement until I see more.

I did like the suggested explanation for the disease. Quite clever.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Let me know what you think at the end. I DID like the beginning...but after the time switch ..not so much. I'm interested to see if you have same thoughts as I did.

I will continue to watch for several episodes. I'm not going to write it off as yet.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You can get antifungals now. Not sure how effective they are on every fungus, but when they showed the clip of John Hannah saying they can't treat it, it was way back, I think in the 70s. So I wonder if antifungals are new, or they are limited, or they're just skating over the treatability of fungal infections.

The spreadabilty of spores with fungals would be insane though, they'd be infected very quickly.

Sincebb, I was the same. I think the fan effect from the game and apparently how close it was to that influenced the reviews. It's definitely a solid show but the "normal" character died, and the main character is (understandably) a bit closed off, so if you wanted to connect with someone at the moment there's no one. I think they're going for bleak, and they succeeded. Even the girlfriend (from Fringe) didn't have much personality. Maybe that's realistic under the circumstances but it doesn't make it appeal to me too much.

Don't know if you watched Halo, but that was similar in terms of the personality of the hero character.

But naturally I will keep watching because that's what I do. I hope it gets something to attach to.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Lol Kitt I'm like you...I watch til the bitter end. I did find this review from someone who did play the game yet had the same thoughts on the first episode. As reviewer they have been able to watch the entire season.

https://www.insider.com/the-last-of-us-review-2023-1

Spear

08-05-2001

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
The spreadabilty of spores with fungals would be insane though, they'd be infected very quickly.

I didn't play the game but I've heard that one thing they did change was that there is no airborne transmission in the TV show. In the game, people have to wear masks in places that haven't been cleared. In the show, they don't have to do that (presumably so we can see the characters' faces), as we saw when they encountered that corpse that had been consumed.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Wow that's quite a negative review! And doesn't bode well for me not sleeping through the upcoming episodes. With these types of shows I think sometimes they just make them a collection of dramatic incident followed by dramatic incident, rather than concentrate on the characters, or the emotional core, as the review said.

It will be interesting to see if the other reviews change with time.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Since, I felt the same as you. I love Pedro so wanted to love this but I think I am just over zombie shows. I really liked the one girl at the beginning.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Interviewer said they liked episode 3...so anticipating that! Guess I am back to waiting for Walking Dead and All of Us Are Dead....lol

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched yet, but have it recorded. I'm not betting anything on sticking with it, but you never know.

All these awards and nominations for Everything Everywhere All at Once .. and I recorded it and stated watching and watched for quite awhile but.. I don't know, maybe I got distracted or dozed off? But I ended up just stopping and deleting it. Just couldn't get into it, didn't really like anyone.

But maybe I'll like The Last of Us?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 19, 2023 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Last of Us.. People who knew they were in danger kept leaving doors open! Even when being chased! And taking crazy chances. I did finish the episode, though.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 21, 2023 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If you plan to keep watching The Last of Us, HBO has a podcast up (at least on HBO on Spectrum, where it is on demand.. I imagine it is part of HBO Max as well) with the creators. Some things make more sense, I guess Listening now.. These guys are really excited about the show and the game it came from..

Apparently there will be a podcast after each episode.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, January 21, 2023 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Ah, OK I'll listen to that...see if it makes a difference. I'm just thinking that most of the people that play the video game or read the comic...are consequently more invested in the series.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 22, 2023 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think you have it right, Since. But see what you think. Heck, I obviously was partially tuned out and wasn't sure that his daughter had died.. I'm sure it was obvious to most people. I figured it out when there was no one that remotely looked like his daughter, just older.

It is odd .. in my case, I'm LISTENING to a podcast on a big screen tv.. normally I watch podcasts, or listen on my computer monitor.. or a tablet. I would have liked to be able to see their faces, as they were so enthusiastic.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The second Last of Us was much better than the second half of the first. They got some personality and a clear story. I am wondering, though, it most of that personality came from Anna Torv, rather than the main guy, so the next episode might be flat again.

I like the girl. A good balance of teenager-y but not that awful trope where they can't keep quiet in an emergency or do stupid things.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I agree, second episode of TLOU was better than the second part of first episode. I also agree that I liked the character (Tess) they killed off. Same thing happened first episode (Joels daughter). I hope this isn't a trend lol.

Bella Ramsey (Ellie) I recognized from the series The Worst Witch. It took a minute to digest her in this polar opposite role.

I listened to the podcast. Initially I had to stop half way through first one. It was more about them congratulating themselves on the great job they did on making the video game in to a series. I eventually went back and listened to the rest. Can't say I got much from it. Again, I think it might be more interesting to those that play or make video games.

It certainly was no Talking Dead. I also agree I MIGHT have found it more interesting if it were not just audio?

I'll try listening to the second podcast. Maybe it will be better, like the series? But if it's less about what is going on in the episode and more about the people who made it...I won't listen to it again. The series, I will most likely keep watching.

I feel like because the video game is about Joel transporting Ellie to the "west"...that it is basically about 2 people. Everyone else is expendable. So we know those two characters are always going to survive and everyone else will not.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I did expect that character to have a short life expectancy as she wasn't in the promos. Maybe each week they will find an interesting sidekick/help for that stage, to liven up the episodes ;).

Talking Dead started a year after TWD, so we already knew and liked the characters. I think I'd find it hard to watch, and especially to just listen to, a podcast for a show with characters I wasn't really into yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, there was no watching option for the podcast and indeed the firest one was all of them celebrating, but I did learn that the daughter died and that Ellie is infected and that would be dealt with).

And I agree that the second episode was better.. now is it my cup of tea? mmmm not sure, but I haven't removed it from recording.

I cannot compare Walking or Talking Dead.. .

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I found the 3rd episode downright frightening! This is so different from other zombie stories that I'm not even thinking of them. So far I am sticking with it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 30, 2023 - 1:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I moved posts here.

I haven't watched Ep 3 yet, but apparently this show is the biggest for HBO in 11 years. Has been renewed for a second season.