TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
New on Video/DVD

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
ARCHIVESLycanthrope800 33 11-05-10  1:45 am
Archive through February 23, 2011Lycanthrope25 02-23-11  12:04 am
Archive through April 10, 2011Ketchuplover25 04-10-11  6:47 am
Archive through June 03, 2011Sunshyne4u25 06-03-11  9:28 pm
Archive through December 20, 2011Ketchuplover25 12-20-11  6:10 pm
Archive through November 14, 2013Scooterrific25 11-14-13  10:52 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's how I am about of lot of the action/adventure fighting scenes. I don't need to see that whole long drawn out battle, I just need to know who won it to advance the story. I do that slower FF so I at least get the gist of the fight.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I FF through chase scenes. I like the fight scenes, though.

Agree completely with Spunky about Killing Them Softly...it was a major disappointment.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I just watched Oblivion with Tom Cruise and I must say it was an interesting sci-fi story and 2 hours went by very quickly, at times I was confused as to who the real Jack was, but it didn't take away my fun watching... I could do without the real Jack at the end of the movie coming back to his wife and seeing their daughter of three years, I thought of him dying up there to destroy the enemy was already a good ending... do we still need sweet endings nowadays??

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
After 3 or 4 times I watched the above movie I finally got what I missed the first time... I like the sound effects too...

But after Gravity, and I saw this movie has a thread, I also watched The Butler, there isn't a thread, but if you want to watch this movie I think it's worth the 2 hours, although the theme is not new and I was thinking, here we go again, another 'freedom' movie, but the passage from 1957 to the Obama election was simple and swift, the movie didn't drag in endlessly on the suffering but put emphasis on the final victory and now it's a better world... so we like to believe.

Now from the Library I took another dvd and this time is the Oscar winner, not another slave movie, this one promises to be really good... let's watch.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
And beside the above movies, I also don't see a thread for The Dallas Buyers' Club (these are all Oscar movies but no thread? mmmmm) anyway, the actor did deserve the Oscar, but the supporting actor I am not sure, I've seen better roles for supporting actors but I guess they know better than me). I had no idea what was going on with the pharmaceutical mess for the disease, it took this movie to explain that all to me... go figure.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the Butler as well -- it was an interesting march through history -- very well done and well acted. Was surprised it didn't get Oscar nods.

I think Jared Leto won for best supporting actor because it was such a transformation from who he is as a person. I was happy for him. He's come a long way since My So Called Life. *Sigh* Jordan Catalano!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
But where's the 'even better roles' for the supporting actors, what did Jared Leto do after the Oscar? and the girl from 12 Years a slave.. I saw better supporting performances than hers, but it's okay, it was a powerful movie. Didn't learn much new but only one thing, 'kidnapping' a free black man to make him a slave, I thought the abundance of slaves didn't make them resort to that... but oh wow! What a story.
I had just finished watching a Brazilian telenovela filmed in 2006 about slaves and Purtuguese owners and was shocked by the violence and treatment of slaves, that's where I saw for the first time the 'pole' and the lashes... awful thing to see, so in this movie I saw that again and wondered why it took so long to free the slaves... the Church should have worked harder to lobby for their freedom..

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
So, who would you have nominated for supporting roles?
I would have liked to see the lady from Nebraska win. I thought she was great. June Squib. She was my pick.

Not sure what Jared Leto has been doing since Dallas Buyers Club has to do with him being a worthy winner. He's not a full time actor, has even taken years at a time off to do other things, he has a succesful band, etc. He has a 20 year acting resume so I don't think he would feel the need to jump into the spotlight just because he won an oscar.

Stormie

03-01-2007

Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Stormie a private message Print Post    
I wasn't sure where to post this, but just in case some don't know, some libraries have movies on DVD and VHS to borrow, some with a small fee, some with a waiting list. But I found it less expensive than renting or buying, plus I like supporting libraries as much as possible. So if you missed a movie or want to see one again, libraries might be a good source to check out.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I had the movie "Her" on my VCR and took time to watch and finally saw it last night and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a bit different from the many recent movies, and it's frightening thinking that maybe one day we could experience something similar... oh dear! I couldn't decide if it was a sad or a nice thing for society.
Scarlett Johansson's voice brought to life that constant presence in his ear..

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
A Most Wanted Man = 9/10

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Just saw Kill the Messenger and John Wick, 2 thrillers but so different. I did learn something with Kill the Messenger, although nowadays everyone knows about the CIA involvement in drug dealing in the 80's, I remember hearing something about this involvement in the late 90's but never gave it much thought since everyone was more interested in the sex scandal of Clinton/Monica Lewinsky and so that report was mostly ignored. But wow!! Kudos to the director of this movie for their courage to tell the story.

John Wick, on the other hand was just violence but I do like Keanu Reeves and that little dog killing broke my heart.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Another movie I don't know if anyone talked about it on this board, American Sniper. All I can say that it made me 'violent', all I could scream was 'shoot the b... ' 'nuke the whole blasted place', and of course that was Clint Eastwood making me like that. But for some scenes I really couldn't take it, or the idiocy or it was 'directing', and I understand now why the movie didn't win any Oscar in spite of the many nominations. It was sad to see how he was killed, and I wonder if it was his death that made the movie popular.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Age of Adeline was a nice romance on a hot uneventful day indoors. A little far fetched,but definitely enjoyable enough.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Citizenfour is a really powerful documentary, very well done

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Woman in Gold, always wondered about that painting and how it was highlighted by Julie Andrews New Year's Concert in Vienna as a most cherished artwork. Now that I know the whole story I find it quite amazing that it was returned to Maria Altmann. I thought it would never leave Austria, no matter what!!! Well, I'm glad that 'just a bit' of justice was done!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: