TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 20, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: Archive through December 20, 2011 users admin

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Into the Wild isn't about why someone committed suicide, nor does he "starve himself to death."

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I read the book a few years ago and though sad at the end, I liked it. It was an interesting story. I didn't realize they made it into a movie til now.

I don't think I would rent the movie because I think they would have to "invent" an awful lot of stuff to make it interesting for a movie-goer and that would ruin it for me.

Such a waste that he died because of a few simple mistakes.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
It was not a waste of my time....I thought it done beautifully.....I loved this show, be it sad at the end....I liked it....alot!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
As long as you know that going in. I thought "Blue Valentine" was going to be a sweet love story ala "Notebook",boy was I ever wrong.What a downer that was. "Into The Wild" sounds interesting but Ill have to be in the mood for it.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Chewi, if I happen to come across the movie, I'll watch it and most likely enjoy it. I'm just not going to go out of my way to rent it.

It's sorta like Gone with the Wind for me. I saw the movie first and I loved it. I read the book much later after that.

If I had read the book first, I probably would have been very very disappointed in it. I'd be thinking in my head, where's Scarlet's first husband? Where's her kid? Etc, etc...

But not to such an extreme with Into the Wild, since there's not as much going on.

Oh, heck... now I think I am going to have to keep and eye out for this movie and watch it. lol!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Red Riding Hood. Definitely worth my free RedBox rental.

Insidious is out too. I recommend watching with the lights out...if you dare. muhahahahahaha

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Netflix people, prices are going up! They're charging separate fees for streaming and for dvds, which raises the price of the plans of people who use both by about $5 a month. Emails are being sent to members. Grrrrr.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
That may make me change my Netflix usage, then. Amazon does streaming MUCH better than Netflix, and it's "free" w/a Prime account. We've been toying w/the prime account idea, and it would be cheaper per month than Netflix if N goes up that much. Wish N had a DVD only option like they do the streaming only option.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They do now, Teach. $8 for one dvd at a time, no streaming; $12 for two dvds at a time, no streaming. The $8 streaming plan is an optional add-on, or you can have it by itself. It sucks for those of us who use both services but if you just use one or the other it's probably cheaper than it used to be.

The internet message boards are full of complaints, so I wonder if Netflix will at least give a better explanation of why they raised prices so much. My plan's up 60%.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kitt. I just got my e-mail w/this info today. I did some research this afternoon, and the Amazon free streaming video selection is pathetic. I have a feeling we'll get both DVD and Streaming during the summer, but during the school year we'll go w/streaming only. If we want to "rent" a video, Amazon is fantastic - usually only $2-3 and it streams without problem.

I'm writing to Netflix to complain, too. This just DOUBLED my cost!

Kc103

07-13-2004

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kc103 a private message Print Post    
I got that wonderful email today too. :-( I've used Netflix since about 1998 when I got my dvr player. I'm thinking about cancelling all together for now.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They probably just weren't making enough money. It seems like an awfully big increase to expect people to swallow though.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The thing that is so frustrating to me right now is that there is NO way on that website to send them a "strongly worded letter" regarding their new pricing policies (thanks Jack Dawson! LOL).

Customer service the past two weeks has been awful. I tried to call 3 different times because Netflix was not working on my blu-ray player (but it was on my computer). The first time, I was on hold for over 20 minutes before getting a live person, and then the connection was cut before we finished fixing the problem (not sure how/why as I gave up at that point). The next two times I called because all of my DVD queu had disappeared and for the same blu-ray issue. Both times I got the message "we are experiencing higher than average call volume. Please try your call again later." and THEY HUNG UP! There wasn't even the option to be put on hold.

I'm giving them until the end of August to sort this thing out - largely because the DVD service doesn't appear to be affected yet - but if streaming and customer service haven't improved, we'll probably cancel altogether.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Netflix was a great idea and it has been a great service in the U.S. (not as good in Canada but they are new here and trying). I hope they aren't going out of business but none of this is a good sign.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
According to the email I got, my account will be going up by $1.47, which is less than the cost of one movie rental. We use Netflix heavily, and since at one point a few years ago they lowered prices and our cost actually went down a couple of bucks, this isn't going to affect my use.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If mine went up by that much I wouldn't be that unhappy, but mine goes up from $10 to $16! Worse than the price rise though was the email, they phrased it like they were doing me a favour! If they'd have said that costs for them were increasing and in order to increase their streaming catalogue they have had to raise costs I'd be ok with that, but no, they have to spin it as if we're stupid and can't work out that $8+$8>$10.

I think some who don't think much of the streaming selection will go dvd only and choose other options for streaming. Then as time goes on and streaming is more readily available for new movies they'll drop their netflix dvds and use whatever other service they're now used to. Such a bad move for Netflix I think.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Faster 8.5/10 Adjustment Bureau 7.5/10

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
Mine is going up by $2, but in December it went up $6. However, since I go through about 4 DVDs a week (I have the 4 out at a time plan), and stream at least a few hours a week, it's still a good deal for me. I might, however, drop the streaming option in the future since I can get a lot streamed for free on other services.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 5:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Sucker Punch 7/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Source Code 8.7/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Attack the Block 9.5/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Crazy Stupid Love 7/10

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i guess is the recommendation/ rating area too. Yes Attack the Block was surprisingly welldone. I'd give it a 8.5/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Kung Fu Panda 2 8.88/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Midnight in Paris 9.25/10