TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 14, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: New on Video/DVD: Archive through November 14, 2013 users admin

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
American version of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was released on DVD/BluRay today. Just watched it and was wholeheartedly surprised at how much I like it. I was such a big fan of the original Swedish trilogy that I really didn't want to like the American version....but my goodness was I entertained; great acting, great story...

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Debt 8/10

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Young Adult 9.75/10

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Not too new since I caught it on a TV movie channel.... 'Breakaway'. Not a fantastic movie but much better than I had been anticipating (think I was fearing a Slapshot style slapstick comedy) and worth the watch. The romantic lead (Camilla Belle) could use some acting lessons as could Russell Peters but everyone else pulled their weight.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Artist 9.99/10

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Reposting to the correct thread:

If you're looking for something for the Halloween season, I am suggesting

The Cabin in the Woods
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/

and Rotten Tomatoes gave it 90%

This movie starts out as one kind of movie and turns into about 3 other kinds of movies. It's a scary movie that's really fun with a crazy twist. And I must stress "fun" :-).

-----

And I would also like to suggest for the Halloween season a movie called
"The Innkeepers".

This one is pretty much ok for older kids, yet good enough for adults. I loved it. It's a ghost story, not a gore story.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Battleship takes movies to a new level

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I bought Battleship but still have yet to watch it. Ketchuplover, are you saying it's a good movie?

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Now that the Tattoo Girl is an American version they won't show the Swedish version of the first movie, drat!!! I liked the Swedish version. Movie Central keep showing about 6 month old movies and many of them I already watched them on the plane, like the Artist airing tonight.
On a 17 hr trip I watched about 5 movies!!!

But there is this movie that is driving me insane. It's Melancholia, a Danish director and Kirsten Dunst (won Best Actress at Cannes) and Charlotte Gainsbourg as the sisters. If you can get past Part 1, the lavish wedding, and just tape the movie from Part 2 when the dance of death starts, Melancholia a rogue planet dancing around earth and the fatal collision. It touched me so profoundly, and I'm not of a depressive nature, the movie just showed me how insignificant we are in this big universe, Kirsten's saying "No one will miss us", indeed who is going to miss us. We could be wiped out and no one will notice. The universe will carry on in its eternal course, little Earth just something in the way.
I know roaming planets exist but thankfully science is telling us they don't really pose any threat to Earth. But just the possibility is mind boggling, why do we exist at all if we could be wiped out this easily.
It's best not to think about it but I keep watching Part 2 with morbid fascination and realize how small we are, the same way I step on an ant while walking... Poof!!!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Battleship does take movies to a new level but you need a shovel to get there

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Campaign 8/10

Ronk

03-03-2009

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ronk a private message Print Post    
Hey Spunky, I think the Swedish versions of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is on Amazon Prime (all three films)

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If anybody has a chance to see this, I sure do recommend it.
"Rosemary's Baby (The Criterion Collection)" just came out on dvd/bd recently, and included in the extras is a 46 minute video of brand new interviews with Polanski, Mia Farrow, and producer Robert Evans. They talk about all the trials and tribulations of making the movie. Be sure to catch this video if you can. It's really interesting. (Especially if you are a fan of the movie itself)

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Killer Joe 8.25/10

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I agree with Ketchup on Killer Joe-but its not for everyone.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I saw Battleship on Movie Central yesterday and I agree it is a great action and sci-fi movie, such a scary thought to imagine something like that happening just because we sent a signal out there... It's amazing however, how many 'bad alien' movies end up really bad for the aliens now matter how much more advanced than us they are. That's the only comforting thought about alien invasion.
Special effects were great and should have won a bunch of awards just for that.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'd call Battleship a good popcorn movie. Not very cerebral or realistic but fun to watch if you like action and special effects.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Don't know how new these are, but just saw Beautiful Creatures and A Good Day to Die Hard on Blu-Ray. Liked them both, to some degree. You probably have to be in the right mood to see Beautiful Creatures, but for the new Die Hard flick, just be prepared for a lot of gunplay and yelling. I'd give both about 6.5/10.0.

Foolscap

09-04-2004

Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Foolscap a private message Print Post    
The movie "Mud" came out on DVD/Blue-Ray this week. One of my favorite films in a long time.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I watched "Sinister", starring Ethan Hawke, today on BD. It scared the bejeebers out of me and I watched it during the day. This is really a good scary movie.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
"After Earth" with the Smith family came out this week. I really enjoyed the movie. Some good subtext added to the story, and it was chock full of nature and far future action and adventure. The end could have been better done, IMO, but overall an enjoyable flick.

Zoe Kravitz was in this, too...Lenny and Lisa Bonet's daughter. She's out-of-this-world gorgeous(as you might expect). Can't wait to see her as a lead.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I can't believe "The Purge" doesn't have it's own thread. It came out recently, and it was more than advertised, IMO. The whole angle of "the new Founding Fathers", and the Purge night being a political thing to rid America of poor and homeless people (set only 9 years from now) was interesting. Yes, there is violence, but this movie is not about the violence, but the reasons for it and basic human nature. In fact, the friend I watched it with and I both agreed that there would have been one more violent scene at the end if we'd been in the protagonist's situation. I highly recommend this movie. It stars Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I just saw Kill them softly on Movie central channel and I had to cringe... I don't think a movie can get any worse than this one. I was embarrassed to see Brad Pitt wasting his time with this one..

I noticed that so many recent movies I watch on the movie channels don't stay on my PVR as I used to do with some favorites, they get zapped right away...

Others I only have to fast forward just to get to the end. If you consider that with all the fast forwarding I do I still can get the gist of the movie only to find out that it wasn't worth it watching it. There must be something wrong with me if I can no longer watch tv without the fast forward... or something wrong with the movies I watch.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I confess I've used the fast forward button during a movie or show on occasion myself. Some scenes are so drawn out, standard and cliched (girl slowly walking through a dark creepy house for example) that I can't be bothered watching them in real time.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Just popped in to see Jimmer's confession :-)