TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Laptops/Netbook Purchase

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Laptops/Netbook Purchase users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 24, 2013Dipo25 05-24-13  10:10 am
Archive through June 11, 2014Naja25 06-11-14  4:06 pm
Archive through July 08, 2014Dipo25 07-08-14  7:34 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo I answered you question in my folder.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
A Kindle and a Fire (Amazon's Fire) are not the same thing. Both are from Amazon. Kindle is an e-reader. Fire is a tablet on which you can also read e-books. Going to go on a sunny cruise -- tablet screens = GLARE. Kindle screens are non-glare.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Amazon automatically named my Fire "Kar's Kindle2", so it's no wonder if we are confused. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yep, there are many flavors of "kindle" and Amazon calls them all that. But the Fire certainly doesn't have the non-glare screen I think the paperwhite probably does. For us, we use it for so much more than reading, so the Fire, with HD video, suits our needs.

And I must say Amazon was amazing when our kindle died just a few days prior to a vacation. They shipped me a new one out even though mine was past warranty. It arrived in 2 days and was free! I've been very pleased with mine.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Dipo, what is it exactly that you want to do with a tablet, kindle, or kindle fire? do you just want to read books? get a kindle paperwhite. do you want to read books and possibly connect to the internet every now and then, maybe play a few games and watch some Amazon videos? get a Kindle Fire. If you want something that isn't Amazon based, but want all of the Android abilities (you can use Microsoft 365 and use it for word/excel), you can get a great tablet that isn't an iPad. if you want to be Apple based, all the great apps, and be able to do everything that we talked about above... get an iPad. Hope that helps.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Dipo - I don't see this mentioned yet, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I do not have wi-fi at school (don't even get me started! GRRR), so all of my Kindles have had 3G. That way, I can access what I need with cell phone coverage. They are initially more expensive, but you do NOT need any special plan. There is no monthly cell phone charge or anything. It has always been worth it to me to have that option.

My DH did not get 3G on his since he only uses his Kindle Fire at home where we have the wi-fi. If he's going to be traveling, he downloads the books and apps he wants to read/use and then just turns off his wi-fi so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's interesting that you don't have Wi-Fi at school. Both my DD's schools have Wi-Fi access for all of their teachers and students and students are actively encouraged to bring Wi-Fi devices to school (such as smartphones, iPods, tablets, etc.). They call it BYOD (bring your own device). They are very big on technology and using technology.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Interesting Teach -- so how much data do you have on your cellphone plan? And how much data do you think the kindle is using compared to your phone?

am trying to think of options for my wifi-less computer-less parents. Am wondering if a tablet with 3G would give them good and reasonably priced access to email, google, etc. They likely won't use it much.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The Kindle is NOT part of my cell phone plan. I use the 3G whenever I need it, and I am not charged. The Kindle Paperwhite still offers this (it's $70 more than with wi-fi only). However, while I have a web browser on my K3, it looks like wi-fi has to be available to use the web browser on the paperwhite. Anyone out there have a newer paperwhite with 3G? I used my K3's 3G to access my e-mail in Canada for free (since I would have been charged for checking it on my phone), so I would think it would work on the newer model. Anyone know for sure?

Now that they've gone 4G, with the Fire it looks like there is a data plan. On my cell phone, we share 10 G and never even come close. Downloading books doesn't take much data at all. Checking e-mail isn't much either - it's only youtubes/streaming videos, online games, or music that can eat up a lot of data.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks again Naja.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I don't really want a tablet/kindle/etc to read books. I will proabably need a new laptop, was thinking a tablet might do then decided to go on a cruise and thought about being able to read without taking a ton of books.

So it then I wondered if Kindle Fire would do all the things I wanted.

Be able to check email, do online banking, stream BB live feeds, and read books.

Thanks for all the help I am certainly starting to understand this better. I didn't realize the Kindle and Kindle Fire were different types of devices, I am going to research each of them and then look at the audiovox (I think that was what it was called) tablet and compare. Oh, nevermind on the audiovox, LOL, just checked the comments and they are not good.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't know 'bout anyone else, but I don't do on-line banking any place but home. Not taking any chances . . . .

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Agree, even with a tablet I wouldn't do it unless I was home and on my own Wi-Fi.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I had a power failure, computer was on and I was playing games but the battery was getting low. Finally got a message that said it was at 12% and it turned off.

Power back and now it won't turn on!! I hate not having connectivity so I am on my really old computer and off to purchase something tonight.

Computer men are coming tomorrow to see if they can make it turn on, I need some stuff on there!!

But I don't have protection on this computer so can't do much until I get that loaded.

Still trying to see if I can watch the BB Live feeds with it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Check to be sure that the adaptor is fully plugged in, mine is kind of picky. Sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in (from the computer).

Also, if you have an on/off button, just try holding it down for a few seconds.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did check that and now have it plugged into another outlet which was suggested.

Now I am back with my new hp pavilion computer, LOL. So I have a Q, normally at the bottom of my window is an arrow where I can make the print 75%, 100%, etc. I don't see that here so is there a command for it?

Oh and I apparently have windows 8.1

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh and Crap I forgot what a pain in the butt it was to have all your favorites gone!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Does control + and control - work?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 14, 2014 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
oh, yeah, it does, LOL. I knew there was something you guys had mentioned but I couldn't remember. Thanks Karuuna.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: