TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 24, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Laptops/Netbook Purchase: Archive through May 24, 2013 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
does anyone have a Blackberry Playbook? And if so what do you think of it?

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I've heard good stuff but honestly, I think I'd prefer an Android tablet. I just like the more open system with Android OSes. Why are you thinking Playbook rather than another device?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I've been looking at different tablets trying to get a feel for what would be best. I'm not really familiar with them nor do I know a lot of people who have them. The Playbook has more business applications which would be handy. I had a look at one and the camera/video capabilities were phenomanal as well imo. Also they slashed the price that I can pick it up with airmiles making it free. That's a big plus. I was hoping to get some feedback from the Clubhouse family if anyone was a hands on user. I did look at the Android tablets last week. What ever I get I'll have to keep away from my dh. Normally he's asking me to set the PVR he is so challenged with technology, but a couple of weeks ago he got an iPhone and I can barely peel it out of his grasp, he's constantly texting and farting around with it.

Mummy35332

09-09-2005

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 3:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mummy35332 a private message Print Post    
I finally purchased a lap top. I'm going from the XP Pro desktop (slow now) to windows 7. When I try to post, if I hesitate, pause..the curser moves back into the post. It is a pain...is it something I am doing? The mouse pad is so very close. I have a very badly worded post in the bb thread because all I checked was the spelling and not the grammer.

Any ideas?
Also in the middle of a post the screen size will change without me wanting it to.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It shouldn't do that. Maybe check your mouse and keyboard settings to see if some option you don't want is selected.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Mummy, I can shed light on your last issue. My laptop does the same (text size changing). It's not a problem with the laptop, it's you (and me!). I will bet you have the built-in mouse pad? There is a way you can move your fingers over it that will adjust text size. Supposed to be a helpfull trick but I am always doing it in error. With my laptop you need to have two fingers on the pad at the same time. One you hold still and the other finger you drag left or right to stretch or shrink the text. Sometimes you have a stray finger hovering too close and the laptop misreads your intentions.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Mummy, if you're sitting at a table or desk, you can use a regular mouse with your laptop - so much easier!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i have never used the touch pad with any laptop i have due to my hand issues and always use a mouse plugged into the USB port.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(For portability I love my tablet.)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I found the mouse pad to be way too sensitive and a pain. I make sure I have the setting on to disable the mouse pad when a mouse is plugged in and I use a wireless mouse. I also installed some kind of freeware that helped make the mousepad less sensitive for when I didn't have a mouse.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
The case on my laptop broke and it is still useable, but annoying. I have been toying with the idea of buying a tablet and think perhaps it may be the time to do it. I know nothing! I do have an iPhone....is there an advantage to getting an iPad? If not, what do you recommend? I would love to buy something soon, but haven't even scratched the surface about looking into it. LOL....yeah, I want someone to tell me what to do so I don't have to research!!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Pluses to getting an iPad. A lot of the apps that you use on your iPhone will also work on the iPad so there won't be as much of a need to buy/find other apps. As well, any music you have on your iPhone will sync pretty seamlessly to the iPad (though you could get it to work on an Android tablet as well). Also if you are near an Apple store you can get good support and Apple is comparatively good about keeping the O/S current.

The downside is that iPads are pricey compared to Android devices. Also they are less customizable so you can't tweak as much on an iPad.

As well, generally speaking, tablet devices still don't have the same capabilities as laptops. They aren't exactly a replacement.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yessie, I LOVE our Samsung Android Tablet. Love love love it! DH paid extra for a case and keyboard, but I've never used either since I use the touchscreen keyboard. I can see myself using the case if I was travelling.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Haven't made the plunge yet myself, but also thinking about it, especially for travel.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
My DS got a MacBook Air. Best of both worlds. Small, but still a full laptop. You can get one from 2011 for about $600 used. Much better deal than new.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I already know that my next laptop will not be a laptop but a tablet. I'm in no hurry since I use the desktop at home and the Kindle Fire away from home, and the tablet I get may not yet exist (it won't be apple, due to price and the fact that I'm tightly connected to Amazon's cloud.. but I think after a fairly long line of laptops, there will be no more for me.

But, as Jimmer says, not QUITE a replacement, yet, especially as your only device.

A friend recently got a Samsung laptop that is nice but it has Windows 8 and between that and the touchpad, she's had a horrible time of it and I have to admit, the few times I've tried to help, it is very frustrating.

I don't sit at a desk, ever.. I sit in a recliner (that is never reclined because the danger with a cat sneaking under it is simply not worth it to me).. desktop is in front of me about five inches further than my toes if they are propped onto the stand it is on and if I use a laptop it is on my lap, but I have a crate (wooden) next to the chair arm and have my mouse there. A mouse for the laptop could also be there too. Or you can use a lap desk.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Duck tape that laptop, LOL.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Our tablet: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (white)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

With Case and Keyboard... :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm on the other end...I wouldn't give up my netbook, ever, for a tablet. I have an Iphone, so I have the fun apps, but most of my work is for school. That requires Microsoft Office, Web sites for maintaining classes (like Blackboard and Moodle), and tons and tons of picture manipulation for Spanish class activities/tests. I could NEVER do all that as easily on a tablet. Since I do most of that at home, not at school, my 11" Lenovo netbook is ideal. It's lightweight, small but with a sturdy keyboard and a big enough screen to see everything. My gradebook won't even load on my phone! (I would hope it loads on the Ipad, but you never know.)

My folks both have Ipads, and while they're fun to play on, neither of them use it for their work stuff.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I need a keyboard. Don't mind the iPad for reading, playing, browsing, but not for typing.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. As much as I enjoy my iPhone and would enjoy an iPad I can't see using it as my only computer. It would be fine if I just wanted to browse the Internet and look at email but I use my computer for too many other things as well which tablets just aren't as good at. There is some overlap but they are different tools.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my Kindle Fire HD, which is smaller than an iPad and you can get keyboards for pads and tablets. I have yet to use it since I do well with the touch keyboard as long as I use landscape mode. I do have small fingers and of course I am not running a business on it. But it is considerably bigger that a smart phone.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't know about others, but I can't use a touch pad keyboard. It annoys me that the numbers are on a different screen, and I don't ever seem to be able to get the capitals to work correctly. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This is the best discussion ever! I have been trying to figure out if I need a tablet. Since I use my laptop for work and a lot of other things I can see that I do not.

I might get one to watch BB live stream in the bedroom, do they work well for that?