TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 11, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Laptops/Netbook Purchase: Archive through June 11, 2014 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Q: If I got a tablet would I be able to access my word files? I have a bunch of recipes that I would like to see when I am in the kitchen away from my laptop but I didn't know if a tablet would work that way.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yep. You don't have to worry about that, Dipo. There are apps for everything. Once you know what kind of tablet you are getting, then you can come back for exact instructions if you can't figure it out.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I have to get an app, not just load office?

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Depends. If you get a windows 8 tablet, then you can just use regular microsoft office.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
thanks, naja!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
actually, you can't use REGULAR office, you have to use the new Office 365 online subscription service for tablets. if you currently use 365, it is free for your tablet. if you have a smart phone or kindle, you can just download an app to read a .doc file. probably a heck of a lot cheaper than going the whole tablet route.

if you have a laptop, why don't you just bring that into the kitchen?

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Landi, the new tablets for this fall having windows 8.1 have full fledged microsoft office.

I guess I spoke a month too soon.

I have a new windows 8 laptop with full windows office, so I thought it was already on the tablets.

Dipo, be sure to wait a month before your purchase if you are going with windows for your tablet :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, September 06, 2013 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Landi, I could do that but it involves disconnecting the power and mouse and then reconnecting it all. It is almost easier to walk back and forth and read the recipe or print it.

I was just thinking ahead, that if I decided to get a tablet would it work for that, LOL.

I forgot, I have another laptop that is slower than dirt, but if I could figure out a place to put it in the kitchen I could just use if for recipes, LOL. Hmmmm. something to think about.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: Time for me to start looking into a new laptop purchase so I want to do some research but I am not really clear on what I need. I do word and excel stuff, watch an occasional show and some youtubes, of course I stream BB, play a few games like freecell or stuff on pch.com and of course email and twitter.

So what do I need? 4 or 8 gb of memory? Does it matter if it is an Intel 4th generation or Pentium? 500 GB Harddrive vs 1TB?

I just have no idea how much of any of this stuff I need to do what I want and the costs are very different.

Thanks for your help and explanations, I wish there was a website where you could plug in all the stuff you do and then it would tell you what you need.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I use my computer for the same things you do, and I love, love, love my Lenovo netbook/Ideapad. It is 421 GB, has an 11" screen, and we have a DSL line. I have a ton of photos on my harddrive (backed up on a cloud), but my music I store largely online or on our home cloud network. Streaming is never an issue, but I suspect that has more to do with our server than the kind of computer I have.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hi Dipo, just so half of everything available can be ruled out, here's a few questions.

Do you want a windows computer?
Do you want a touch screen?
How big of a screen do you want?

That will help narrow things down for anybody wanting to help you choose.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I also forgot to ask what is your general price range?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Do you want a windows computer? I guess so, I don't want a MAC

Do you want a touch screen? Not necessary

How big of a screen do you want? Hmmm, my screen now is 13x7.5

I don't even know what a fair price would be anymore, not more than $500, will that get me a decent one?

Thanks so much for the hel.pp

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
500 will get you great one :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
One more thing, is there a specific brand name (or 2) that you already trust and feel comfortable with?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have absolutely LOVED my Dell Latitude E4300 13.3" screen with Windows 7 that is now about 5 years old. I love it so much, I had three of them for a while, just in case it went down, but it is not going down, so I just sold the third one to a girlfriend, and now SHE loves it, hahahahaha!!! This is about a five year old machine, originally cost around $2000 - $3000, and corporations bought lots of them for their road warriors. It is a very sturdy machine, has a DVD writer, backlit keyboard, sometimes a webcam, sometimes a fingerprint reader, and is realllllly fast with 4 GB core two duo Intel processor. Only thing it doesn't have is good speakers, so if I am using it as a laptop, I use an earpiece or speaker. BUT it is a laptop that can click into a docking station and you hook up speakers and a monitor and all the peripherals to the docking station and use it just like a desktop. I love this little baby, and they are now selling on ebay for around $200.

But you would probably feel safer with a newer model, so listen to Naja. She knows a lot of stuff, as does Bob2112 if he would pop in.

Oh, and I hate Windows 8 and 8.1, am hoping they come out with something better before Window 7 becomes obsolete.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Juju, I do want a new one, I have two old ones, one oldddddd and this one.

I currently have an HP, and my old laptop was an HP. I worked with Dell computers at my old office and I had a Toshiba a long time ago. I am not sure I have a favorite brand, but my HP's have been good to me, LOL.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We've had 3 Dell laptops (well - 2 laptops and a netbook) and every single one has had issues with the battery. I wasn't a big fan of the keyboard either.

My Lenovo is fabulous! No battery problems at all, the screen is 1" bigger, and the keyboard is much sturdier (no gaps between keys). I'd buy Lenovo again, but not a Dell laptop.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I've only bought Dells and never had a problem. Interesting how we all have different experiences with technology.

I have heard that Lenovos are excellent though.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I found you a nice New i3 HP that was cut in price because it still has windows 7 on it.
$449

4 gigs ram, 500 gig HD, 15.6 inch screen

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8920146&CatId=4935

I love windows 8 on my Dell Inspiron laptop, but I see lots of people don't.

I'm just going to try to find some deals over the next few days and I'll post them as I run across them.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here's a Dell Ispiron with similar specs as the HP above, but it has windows 8. $447

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX1BV1824

And I keep assuming you need an optical drive for some reason. (I know I still do. I have so much stored on data dvds) Am I right in assuming you still need one? Or don't you need one?

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ok, I'll post this one more today with an optical drive.

Here's another Dell Insprion i3, 15.6", 6 gig ram, and this one does have a touch screen and all the extras. Free shipping from walmart.com $450

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Moon-Silver-15.6-Inspiron-i15RMT-3904sLV-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i3-4010U-Processor-6GB-Memory-Touchscreen-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1/34467625

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How useful is the touch screen on laptops? I've heard that some manufacturers are thinking of discontinuing it. Also is Microsoft about to introduce an O/S upgrade (not a new O/S but pretty significant)?

(I haven't been following along very closely so I may not have this right)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am not sure what an optical drive is, so I don't really know if I need one, LOL. Those are really good deals.

I don't really need the touch screen, I am happy using my mouse, LOL.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Optical drive is where you put in your dvds or cds.

eta: that first HP with win7 I posted doesn't seem to have bluetooth. So if you need bluetooth, skip that one.