TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Top Chef 20 - world All Stars

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: Top Chef 20 - world All Stars users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 23, 2023Seamonkey25 03-23-23  1:39 am
Archive through June 02, 2023Sincebb125 06-02-23  6:25 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 02, 2023 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Definitely a contestant named Tom.

I've read Padma's book (a book, if she has more than one) and Gail's and I like them both very much. Maybe Padma wants to spend more time with her daughter? ( but reading above, she has plenty on her plate with other projects) Or has something else in the works. And she is amazing at keeping her weight down despite all that eating during a season. I had also heard her say that she works hard to compensate. She will be so missed if this show keeps going.

I like this show. Baking shows are ok but that is like apples compared to cupcakes.

They all had to laugh when one of the guest this week took a bite of Buddha's dish and had an immediante goan of pleasure.. must have been good.

Maris, this season was certainly one where they were all supportive of each other in a very sincere way, it seemed. Nice.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 03, 2023 - 1:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/padma-lakshmi-leaving-top-chef-read-her-emotional-statement

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 03, 2023 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I like most judges on top chef, unlike other shows. I think the push to have more than one show a year was one of Padmas consideration.
I generally find this pleasant show with good judging, but this year there were too many iffy contests near the end like look like one thing, taste like another and that ilk.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, June 04, 2023 - 4:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
You know Sadies, when they did that comp about how the food had to look like one thing and taste like another, I kind of got the impression that Tom didn't "get it." I don't think it was his thing.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, June 09, 2023 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Buddha absolutely killed it in the finale; however, I wonder if Sarah hadn't screwed up her liver if she would have won. Both Buddha and Gabri served four flawless dishes. When you are in the finale, a pinch of too much salt can ruin your chances much less undercooked/raw liver.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, June 09, 2023 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I agree, they are operating under very reduced margin of error in the finale. There is no way, after undercooking the liver...that all the guest chefs said was inedible...that Sarah could come back from that. Both Buddha and Gabri would have had to flub up every other dish in order for that to happen.

I'm so surprised Gabri made it to the finale. He teetered in the bottom two so many times. And how many times did he burn his beans? Lol In the end though he did a good job.

I think Buddha really deserved to win. I am happy for him.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 09, 2023 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The liver may have lost it for Sarah. I am happy that Buddha won.

And I was shocked that no one noticed that Gabri had to use canned beans after he burnt his. He sure needs to have a dedicated sous chef to keep track of what he is cooking because he really does have fires way too often.

Padma seemed teary at a couple of points; I attribute that to her knowing she was quitting the show.

Personally hate liver and I've long known that I don't want to eat organs that filter crap like pesticides and keep them in the part you eat (liver and kidney for example) And then there is the taste. So then having it raw would really be a turnoff. But the vast majority of all of their dishes looked great. Uh, well I also dislike peas.. But I don't have the palate they were cooking for..

I LOVED it when Buddha called his wife and was giving her props for supporting him and she said something like he couldn't live without her which made him laugh.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 10, 2023 - 2:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Didn't Sara have her helper cook the liver? Not sure how you could not see the liver is undercooked. When I was a kid we ate liver a lot so when I started out we had lawn furniture and ate a lot of stew or liver. I never had it raw.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, June 10, 2023 - 4:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I haven't eaten peas in almost 60 years. The last time I ate them I was 5 years old and threw them up on the table. My mother never made me eat them ever again. There's no way I would have eaten a pea cake. That would be like eating a lima bean or beet cake. That was just nasty.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, June 10, 2023 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Not a peas person either. Yuck.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 10, 2023 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Chinese pea pods are fine but never have liked peas or beans and we did have to eat them (canned, even) when we were young.

I remember when my Dad wouldn't be able to give blood and was diagnosed as anemic. Doctor said eat liver and Dad said nope. So they said rare steak. Dad was not fond of rare meat.. actually midwest cooking in the 50s tended to overcook all meat, but we started having rare steak on Friday night and Mom and my brother and I found out we loved it! Dad never did but it was better than having to eat liver.

Sadies, not sure who cooked the liver, but she was in charge, so it is on her, I guess. Now if Gabri was cooking it, it might have been on fire.

Still puzzled that he wasn't busted for using canned beans. Uaually that is a kiss of death.

Being a Buddha fan, I'm happy.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2023 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Remember Sara's helper asked her if he could cut the liver earlier and she said no she wanted to wait till the end to cut the liver so that was her mistake. She even said if she had cut it earlier she could have fixed it. I think Buddha was the clear winner. He didnt make a single mistake the whole season.

I think Gabri was overmatched. That was like the third time in different competitions he screwed up cooking beans.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Buddha's wife wrote a very heartfelt post about all he has struggled through and sacrificed in his life to get to where is is now. It was very touching

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, and for Gabri, cooking beans should be a bedrock staple. But he seemed to lose track of what he had and where, in a high stress situation, but if he wants to be a top chef and run a kitchen, that is often high stress.. and if others hadn't reminded him, those fires would have been worse.

i just thought the phone call and comment from Buddha's wife was so sweet and real.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I noticed MULTIPLE professional kitchen timers in the background, when Gabri was burning his beans. Each timer can usually be set for 4 to 8 separate reminders. I kept asking myself WHY he would not use one for his beans. Even if he was cooking his beans at too high of a temperature, he could set timer to check at intervals. Also, why wouldn't he use a pressure cooker in the first place, knowing he has burned the beans multiple times already? Especially because you have to soak dry beans first. You have to add that time to the cooking time. Would have been better than canned beans! He was too disorganized.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But hadn't he already ruined the dry beans he soaked and had to switch to canned beans?

And yes.. use those timers!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Gabri burnt several different kinds of beans repeatedly. lol If you soak the beans, it takes about 20 minutes in a pressure cooker to cook. But if you don't soak them....you can put the dried beans in pressure cooker with additional water for about 35/40 minutes. Lentil cook im about 8 minutes. If the editing was correct...all the other chefs were still cooking at the point he burned his beans. So it seems like he would have had the time to do dry beans in the pressure cooker rather than serve canned. But my point was, given his history with beans and him not being focused...why he didn't go straight to the pressure cooker as a precaution

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Sincebb1, this tells me you should go head to head in last chance kitchen with Gabri with the task being cook beans!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, June 12, 2023 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Maris lol

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: