TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Renovations

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Home and Garden: Renovations users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 29, 2012Kappy25 01-29-12  12:34 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Urgrace

08-19-2000

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Urgrace a private message Print Post    
Kappy, here's my two cents worth. An interior designer can assess your problem areas and help you choose what needs to be demolished and replaced. They are helpful if you wish to redesign the floor plan as well. Going straight to a contractor is not always the best, because they need the design first, and they just make what they are told to make. You should have a figure in mind as to how much you want to spend and stick to your budget when making the purchase decisions.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 2:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
My house, Ye Olde Money Pit, has decided to fall apart feet first! The widow we purchased from had foolishly laid indoor-outdoor carpet on the entire lower floor over tiles. Now our water heater has broken, seeping water all over. In removing this ugly carpet we see rug installers had used glue & nails damaging tiles underneath, so we'll need all new flooring... She never heard of area rugs?!? This will be a $10k fix just for damages.....

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 4:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Oh NO Riviere! That is simply horrible!!

I am so sorry.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Homeowners should cover something like that Riviere. A pipe going to my neighbor's upstairs bathtub broke and water went through the floors and pulled down her living room ceiling. Her furniture and carpeting downstairs was soaked, too. Her insurance covered everything

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This thread hasn't had any traffic lately but I'll try my luck at a question...

The house we're moving to has very good quality hardwood floors. Frankly the floors are higher quality than we are, they are tung oil coated and need to be re-oiled every 2-3 yrs, something we don't particularly want to do.

Right now the floor needs to be refinished so we were wondering about options that wouldn't be as hard to maintain. Looking online I think I might not be using the right words to search, I keep finding things about urethane coating for floors, but that seems to be all.

Does anyone know if urethane is normal (it sounds plasticky) or if there are other options? I know I should be able to find something with the flooring websites but they seem to assume you know things that I obviously don't!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Kitt, go look at bona.com and see if you can find what you are trying to figure out. I know that you have to put some type of finish on the floors, I can't remember what I have seen them use on HGTV.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They seem to have stuff for doing them yourselves, we still want to get someone else to do it, but were just trying to work out what the options are.

I did find an article on the different types of urethane coating though, and I think that's what was confusing me. I thought there was one type of urethane but there are many, and some of them are more like what we're hoping for in term of less gloss, more hardwearing etc.

Thanks for your reply :-).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 04, 2014 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yes I thought they might have some info to explain what others need to do, LOL, I don't want to do it myself either but I check their site for info.

Oh, you know HGTV.com might have some other information that would help.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Anybody here ever repainted painted kitchen cabinets? I am thinking about selling my house in a couple of years so was going to start doing small jobs (of course I don't consider this a small job because I have lots of cabinets) in preparation. Also I would like your opinion. I currently have natural colored beadboard walls and ceiling. If you were going to look at a house to purchase would you prefer to see something like that already painted or would you wish the previous homeowner hadn't painted them so you could make that decision yourself?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
This would be one view of my kitchen...80s Kitchen for sure (By the way, the fish tank is now clean - it was pretty bad.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
i vote not to paint

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
That's kind of how I'm leaning. But those green cabinets - they are definitely on their way out! I'm thinking about replacing the pantry doors with some more contemporary frosted glass ones.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The green looks like it goes with the wood so I would leave it alone. If you really think something should be done maybe look at new pulls, although I like the white ones, it might change the look of the cabinets.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh, the pulls are going too - they are falling apart anyway. I am also going to have to replace the countertops - they are white tile and they are breaking and falling apart.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
All the shows I see about preparing your house for sale say keep things neutral and pretty sparse, so we f I were selling it, I would probably paint them white or dove grey or something and probably make the bead board white. The whole dea is to appeal to the largest possible group of buyers and I suspect the neutrals do that better than green. But if you do white, I'd wait until you're just about to sell. Too many opportunities for fingerprints, messes, etc.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Since the counters and pulls are going then you should definitely do the cabinets. The best jobs I have seen is when they spray them rather than brush paint them so you might want to look into that.

A agree with Tishala a light color would be best.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have an acquaintance who is a real estate agent and her advice is almost identical to your's, Tishala. Paint the walls either white or light grey - paint the ceiling white, paint the cabinets either white or light grey. Countertops should be white and the pulls are probably going to be those brushed silver (chrome) ones. I'm going to test a couple of techniques. I actually have a paint sprayer but haven't used it in years, and I also found a website where the author gets phenomenal results using a combination of a brush and a small sponge roller.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have experience with Bamboo flooring?

I bought a condo that has bamboo flooring in the kitchen. The rest of the condo is carpeted, which I want to replace before I move in. Rather than replace with more carpet, I was thinking of just extending more bamboo flooring to the rest of the living area leaving only the bedroom with carpeting. However, some people have suggested to me that Bamboo flooring is not that great.

I want something durable, cost effective and low maintenance (i.e. if I spill something, there's not an issue) Any suggestions on bamboo or any other type of hardwoods to look at?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird, I don't have any experience with bamboo but always heard it was really good.

I did a little research and it seems it is good except in Florida. Here is the link, http://www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/1459844-thinking-about-putting-bamboo-floors-anyone.html

I just searched "bamboo floors are bad", and a lot of links came up.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Friday, October 17, 2014 - 2:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
One thing to bear in mind is perhaps Cold Winters. Here in Seattle, the neighbor renters are moving out (dang!) because the realtor ripped out the carpets to replace with cheaper fake wood floors. Just too cold with the little cadet heaters. High electrical costs but still too cold.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, October 17, 2014 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Biscottii, I'm in Portland, so I am with you about the weather. I've had hardwoods for years and love them. A lot of it has to do with dust. Hardwoods are easier for me to keep dust free. Usually, I have area rugs to add to the warmth. Frankly, where I rent now, I have a small central gas heater and very bad windows. When it's really cold out, the inside is horrible cold. At this point, anything will be a step up for me.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, November 14, 2014 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
A belated thank you to Urgrace and Texasannie for your replies up above!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: