TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 29, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Home and Garden: Renovations: Archive through January 29, 2012 users admin

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, January 28, 2011 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
My ex put a hardwood floor in the family room, and from the front door you can see how dusty the floor is!

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, January 28, 2011 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the advice! I am starting to think hardwood is not going to be a good idea.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, January 28, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Our dog has scratched up our Oak (?) hardwood floors a bit, but not really too badly. Now that she's quite old, she doesn't run and doesn't scratch up the floors, but we have to keep these ugly runners and rugs everywhere to give her traction. The hardwood is less slippery than the wood laminate.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, January 28, 2011 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
go with slate!!

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Monday, January 31, 2011 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
That's so funny you should say that Texannie cause I looked at slate this weekend and I think that is what I want.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Finally got a new concrete driveway this week!!!
The old original was the ugliest eyesore on our street. A giant tree had caused buckling and a network of cracks. The house itself is decent but a driveway like that made it unappealing & uncared for. Tsk tsk, it had been the least of the builder's worries too! When we tore it out we saw builder didn't lay down a sublayer of anything. No gravel or mesh or rebar, it was a concrete pad directly on the dirt since 1973...
Add the giant tree roots and they probably knew it would be a headache for the 4th owner, but they just didn't care!
Neighbors strolling past remarked on the big change, so they do notice. Then, just 5 hours old, some fool left the gate ajar and my dog ran onto the damp cement, wanted to leave her prints of approval on it maybe? I could have screamed! At least it's not too visible from 10' away...

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Aw, those dog prints will be a fun memory in years to come.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Congratulations on the new driveway, Riviere. (Were you the fool who left the gate open?)

I want to move in to Mack's bathroom.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
So long as the puppy tracks aren't too deep they shouldn't be a problem. People pay a lot of money to get designs stamped in their drives & walks - your dog just personalized your new drive for free!

Mack's bathroom is beautiful and it looks almost as big if not bigger than my bedroom. I love the dark wood and would love to remodel my bath (it's circa late 1950s but not cool late '50s), kitchen, and build a treehouse but am stuck still doing not-fun things like getting a new roof installed a couple Saturdays ago to replace the cheap-o one the people I bought my place from had put on. At least it's a nice-looking roof.

Right now I'm looking for a local place that installs cork flooring just to figure out pricing. Can't do it right now, of course (thanks leaky roof!), but want to have an idea on the cost.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 4:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We're several months into living with our new bathroom and love it. Surprisingly there's very little we'd change from what we did, guess we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted. We should have as we agonized for years about remodeling before we made the leap.

Right now we're recovering from having an AC system replaced this past weekend. I was mowing the lawn last Wednesday morning and just happened to be outside near the upstairs unit when it "blew up"....actually made this horrible sound and I knew something bad had happened. God bless them but two installer techs worked from 9 AM until 6:30 PM installing a whole new system Saturday. It was 93 degrees by about 2 PM and the base unit is in our attic and it must have been 120-130 degrees up there. They said they're used to it and they did have a fan system to help break the heat a bit but wow! Oh well....house is 11 years old and our cooling systems work probably seven to eight months a year here so a builder's grade unit lasting that long is probably pretty good. Hopefully the main downstairs unit will hold on for a year or too though. Cost more than a nickel to replace the smaller upstairs system.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
OMG I hate spending money on that kind of thing, Mack. For some reason spending on the cosmetic issues doesn't bother me, but replacing infrastructure makes me wild. We replaced our hvac a few years ago at a cost of $8500. I could have had a house full of new furniture and carpeting for less than that.

Congratulations for getting it fixed so expeditiously, though - it's gotten hot fast this summer. We went from 60 high to 95 degrees high in the space of a week here.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, June 03, 2011 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
And just yesterday, not even a week after replacing the upstairs unit, the downstairs unit has started acting up. Great, just great! It's still working but I'll have to have it checked early next week. Oh joy......

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, June 03, 2011 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
We had to replace both our units 2 years ago and the good news is our electric bill has gone down alot.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 4:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I hope you're right Maplsyrp and, in fact, I'd be disappointed to the point of shock if our electric bill didn't go down. The units in the house were the original builder's install from 2000 so they're, or were since we just replaced one, 11 years old. That was before the Feds set up minimum cooling efficiency standards and I've been told those units are probably 8-10 SEER while the Fed minimum is now 13 SEER. The new upstairs unit is 17 SEER and if the downstairs unit is going out I'll replace it with the same model, though higher capacity.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
They "fixed" the downstairs unit but truth is that it's still an 11 year old system and is probably on it's last legs. Problem today was that the drain in the system became plugged and condensation was overflowing into the secondary drain which lets the water come out on our patio. Sounds strange but it's a low tech warning system. If you see water on the patio then there's a problem in the base unit upstairs. They unplugged the base unit drain and blew out the line with compressed air but the underlying problem is that the unit is just old and a bit rusty. The rust built up in the pan and plugged the drain. Nothing to do about the rust but to eventually replace the whole unit. We'll just have to see how long we can limp along and it is cooling effectively so no immediate pressure at least today.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
We did the same thing Mack for as long as we could because it is awfully hard to part with the money if you don't have to.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 5:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
It's a bit of a gamble for sure. We've already had a pretty warm spring, really very summer like temperatures in the 90's with no rain at all. That puts a lot of stress on the old unit and there's always that chance that at the hottest time of the year the unit will totally fail. The thought of going even 3 or 4 days with no AC downstairs, which is basically where we live, isn't very attractive but, like Goddessatlaw said, parting with that much money for infrastructure really bugs us. The relatively good news was that because we had one unit installed by them they'll install another at a slight discount. Really brings the cost of replacing the much larger downstairs unit (5 ton) down to just slightly more than the upstairs unit (3 1/2 ton).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I want to re-do my closet, the prior owner did a diy closet design that I hate and it not really that good a material.

I will have it professionally done, but was wondering if there might be a website or something that I could use to play with the design. Anyone know of one?

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
closetmaid.com

I had a bid of $2,400 & $2,600 to redo Mbr walk-in closet. Instead got white coated wire shelves from Home Depot & 2 four drawer dressers + shoe closet with mirror doors from IKEA. Entire job less than $800.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
interesting. I did a quote through one site and it was 989. So I will check out that site and see what they say, LOL. Thanks.

Northstar

09-29-2008

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 12:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Northstar a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure I'd call it a renovation, but this week I had my crawlspace insulated w/a soy based spray foam, then a layer of batting. I look forward to having lower heating bills and hopefully a warmer floor this winter. Energy was one reason I had it done, but I also want to change my flooring and I'm hoping this will allow for more options. Has anyone heard favorable reviews on cork flooring? I'm leaning toward that but need more info.

Urgrace

08-19-2000

Monday, December 12, 2011 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Urgrace a private message Print Post    
Northstar, the only negative things I've ever heard about cork flooring are when the price was not in the budget, the installation
was bad, or the owner had pets with long nails that dug up the surface. ;-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I have a question if anyone can answer it. I'm trying to decide if my house is worth remodeling portions of or if it seriously needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Has anyone ever been in this situation?

I figure I can start with a home inspector to tell me how bad things are overall but then where do I go? Would you hire an architect to give you different scenarios or go straight to a contractor and see if they work with designers?

Ideally, I'm looking for a comparison similar to what they use to do on the hgtv show "Hidden Potential".

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
we just went through this. our house has had a few updates but in our neighborhood it really is considered a tear down. we were given a really good offer from a builder to buy our house for the lot value. we started looking at where we would move and really couldn't find a place that we liked as well as our house in a price range we wanted to pay. we have decided to remodel our house. for our neighborhood we can put the money into it and will definitely get it out. if for some reason the market changes when/if we decide we really do want to move somewhere else and we can't sell it for a profit...who really cares, we have a great remodeled house!
i would have an appraiser or real estate agent appraise your house for resale 'as is' then compare that number with what you would have to pay to move somewhere else. also ask the realtor how much you would need to spend in updates and how much you could recoop.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Texannie!

Can I ask if you're going to hire an architect designer to help with the remodel or just do some sketches of your own and go straight to a contractor?