TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 23, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Inception: Archive through July 23, 2010 users admin

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Monday, July 12, 2010 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
Going to a preview tonight. I'll be back tomorrow with an opinion.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 12, 2010 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I hope it's as good as it looks!

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
It was a really good movie. In a few spots, it was confusing, but cleared up in the end. Usually, I don't like movies that rely too heavily on CGI. With this movie, it worked.
Some of my favorite actors are in this movie. It is a little long, though.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Are you sure you didn't just dream that you saw it?

Cba79

07-04-2010

Friday, July 16, 2010 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cba79 a private message Print Post    
Saw this last night at the 12.01 showing. Amazing, to say the least. The effects were perfect and the plot was... Yeah... I need to see it again. If you like to be challenged a bit by a flick, then definitely catch a showing. Just make sure you are willing to sit for the two and a half hours.

Point of fact: The theater was full, but I was not once aware of a single cell phone being used, nor did I notice anyone getting up for snacks or the bathroom. The entire audience was mesmerized. When the credits started to roll there was a momentary silence as everyone digested what they just saw. We got to listen to theories and discussion all the way back out to the parking garage. Quite fun.

Oh, and the critics were right. This will be at the top of a lot of year's best charts come December.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, July 16, 2010 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Not too shabby(the movie not the previous posts) :-)

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Friday, July 16, 2010 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to see this movie. Planning to see it in IMAX on Sunday. Love Leonardo and any movie he's in.

Westtexan

07-16-2004

Friday, July 16, 2010 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Westtexan a private message Print Post    
Saw this today. I wanted to love it but perhaps it was too long for me. I needed to pause it and take a stretch break (spoiled from watching movies at home). And it was really, really, really complicated, so much so that I quit trying to figure it out and started to lose interest, and I usually like complicated. I had very recently seen Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio and was getting a sense of Dejavu (sp). After more people go and see the movie, I'd like to get people's take on it in a spoiler thread.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Friday, July 16, 2010 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Saw it this afternoon.

W O W !!
Brilliant
Complex
Intelligent
Suspenseful
Exciting
Dramatic
Intriguing
Thought-provoking
Visually robust
Clever
Intense

The casting was spot on.
Performances across the board were great.
Leo, Ellen Paige, Marion Cotillard (sp?) – all strong, solid performances
Wonderful to see Tom Berenger, even if he looks like Larry Hagman’s twin now
Wonderful to see Peter Postelwaite (sp?), even if he only had like 2 lines
Wonderful to see Ken Watanabe in something other than a samurai movie
Always wonderful to see Cilian Murphy (sp?) – hope this opens even more roles for him
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quickly becoming an actor to watch – love, love, love him!!

Inception is a must see on the big screen. It’s visually gorgeous, but by no means simply a special effects film. The story and characters are front and center. It’s absolutely a film to see more than once due to incredible detail, both visually and in terms of the story. I might go see it in IMAX.

Agree with a few of you who thought it got a little confusing at points, but things seemed to make sense in the end. Or, at least most of it made sense. There are still a few things I'm questioning and would love to compare notes with some of you who have seen it. Perhaps we can start an Inception discussion thread? Anyone else into that?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
How about using spoiler tags(here) to discuss spoilers? Not a requirement though.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
OK... this post contains SPOILERS -- divert your eyes now if you don't want SPOILERS...

OK... so, I think I understood Inception, however, I was left with a few lingering questions that then make me question what I think I understood, so I'm curious to get someone elses take on these two points.

1) If Cobb (DiCaprio) and Saito (Ken Watanabe) both entered the dream at the same time, why is it that when Cobb finds Saito in the lower depths of the dream, Saito is very old but Cobb is still young. Is that because Saito spent a longer period of time on the third level whereas Cobb was still on level 2? Confused about this.

2) In the end scene, there was a sense that the spinning totem would fall over, signifying that they were in the real world vs. a dream. However, Cobb's kids didn't look any older. They were still the same age as from all of his memories. One got the sense in the beginning of the film that DiCaprio had been on the run for a while, yet his kids ages were a confusing factor. Anyone have any theories about this?

Definitely interested to hear opinions from others who have seen it.

Thanks!!

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Are you sure you didn't just dream that you saw it?

That's too funny Ketchup!! ((-:

Cba79

07-04-2010

Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cba79 a private message Print Post    
Jezz... Here are my thoughts to your questions (in spoiler text, just in case).

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
1) You got it right about the aging. Different levels move faster/slower. Cobb was in level 3, which progresses, time-wise, slower than level 2 where Saito was. That's why Cobb and Saito are young and old respectively.

2) I got the impression that the spinning top did not stop because it was the dream world. But, you likely noted, the top wobbled before the cut to credits. I think they are messing with us so half think it's the real world and the other half think it's the dream world.

Just my two pennies.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
SPOILERS

I was also concerned that not only did the children look the same age, they were in the same place in the same pose as they were in his memory. But I prefer to believe the top was about to fall, because that would be the happier ending ;).

Also we saw Saito pick up his gun as if he was going to kill himself to remove himself from the dreamworld. And we know Cobb knew it was a dream world, so really they should have both exited and enabled the happily ever after scenario we saw. Worst case scenario Saito just killed himself, but surely then his minions would have either killed Cobb for causing it (even if they didn't know how) or locked him up somewhere, giving him an opportunity to kill himself. It doesn't seem likely to me, given the bottom layer scene, that those two would not have woken up from that level. So again, I'm going for the happy ending.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
By the way, the movie threads are for discussion, including spoilers, about the movie; the recommendations thread is for us to put a general "great movie, go see" comment to help those who want to know whether to see it or not.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Makes sense to me Cba. Thanks!

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Good observations Kitt.

And thanks for clarifying about spoilers / discussion in this thread.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, July 19, 2010 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Awesome movie and I have my own thoughts on the ending:

The whole movie was wrapped around the idea of planting the seed of an idea, they repeat that often. I thought the ending was the result of another seed being planted, this time by Leo in his own mind. Earlier in the movie his wife tells him that there are many different realities and he could/should choose to stay with her in one of them. I believe that Leo's character realized that he couldn't be in a reality with his wife because the seed had been planted that she was dead and he knew that that reality would always end up collapsing on him. So he choose to stay in a reality where he was with his kids instead. Like others have mentioned... his kids hadn't moved or aged and his father/FIL was in America even though he clearly lived and worked in Paris earlier in the film.

I look forward to seeing the movie again, this time knowing the ending and looking for other clues along the way.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Monday, July 19, 2010 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Rissa -- interesting take on things. Like you I'm anxious to see it again to see if things look different the second time around.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Anyone find it curious that were apparently more than one of those dream machines?

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, and that even those that presumably had been developed independently looked almost identical to the main one.

Neko

08-03-2001

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Neko a private message Print Post    
Loved this movie.

The ENTIRE theatre groaned at the ending, when it cut away "before the top dropped." (I think he was in a dream)

I have a crush on Eames and Arthur which is why I hope that Cobb's not in a dream, because then I know for sure they exist and aren't just projections from Cobb's subconscious.

It was a really thought provoking movie and I'll definitely be getting it when it's out on DVD.

ETA - On IMDB it has actress/actor listed for Phillipa and James at 3 yrs and 20 months respectively, then at 5 years and 3 years.
The older Phillipa was actually played by the younger Phillipa's sister.

So I think they are actually supposed to show that they did age by 2 years, meaning that it wasn't a dream (or if it was, Cobb aged them himself)

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh thanks for pointing that out Neko (the kids had aged)! As usual I always want to believe things have a happy ending, and when it appeared that the children hadn't aged, that was quite a big doubt. I'm swaying more strongly to the "not a dream" ending now.

The guy who played Eames was the guy who was the other-Picard in Nemesis. Physically he's a lot different but when he spoke and you noticed the lips it's obvious it was him. I read recently he's lost 30lb for a new role. I kind of liked him as he was in this.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Well, I just saw it again. Missed the IMAX showing so just went back to the same theatre where I saw it the first time.

I hate to say this, but... the first time I saw it I thought the ending was real, that the top would fall at any moment. This time... I came away feeling like Rissa's take on things was more likely... ie, that Cobb created another dream reality where he could exist with his children as he remembered them. The main point that led me to think the ending was a dream is that the children's voices at the end were younger than they were on the telephone when Cobb was talking with them at the beginning of the movie. As much as I want for the ending to be real (I found myself sympathetic to Cobb's struggle to get home to his kids), I couldn't help feeling on this viewing that the ending was not real, but was a dream Cobb created. I do like that they purposely left the ending ambiguous as it leaves the viewer with a lot to contemplate.

I enjoyed Inception just as much the second time as I did the first time. It was just as intense, just as suspenseful. I really enjoyed the sequence where Ellen Page rides the "kicker" up through the dream levels.

A few elements seemed more clear the second time around, specifically the dream levels and who created each level. On the first viewing I thought Ariadne created all the levels, but on seeing it again I realized that Ariadne designed the structure of each level, but other characters filled in the design -- Arthur for level 2, Eames for level 3, and Cobb for level 4 / limbo. At least I think that's how it worked, LOL ((-:

I'm definitely going to add this film to my DVD collection when the disc comes out.

Great film!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 23, 2010 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Spoilers to follow.....

Just came home from seeing this and my head is still spinning. Loved, loved, loved it. Love just about anything Leo does. Wanted to cry for him at the end when he finally gets to see his children. I swear that top jiggled and was about to fall! It was!! :-)

The special effects were astounding, but not distracting. All of the weightless stuff was so well done. Would love to know how they did that.

My one question was why they didn't wake up when the van was tumbling down that hill. Wouldn't they have had the falling sensation and been woken up?! That's the only "hole" I saw. Maybe someone can explain that to me.