TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Inception

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Inception users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 23, 2010Brenda196625 07-23-10  2:26 pm
Archive through August 01, 2010Pippin0425 08-01-10  6:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Awesome! Thanks Pippin!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Pamy, it's a great movie and I didn't feel let down at all by the ending. My youngest dd is almost 14. She didn't get the movie/was confused. (and she is a really smart kid) She liked the effects though. It could be that part of it was that she wasn't trying to understand it because she really didn't want to go see it. (We were in San Francisco shopping and I really wanted to see it and didn't want to sit in the awful evening rush hour traffic. She said she wasn't opposed to seeing it.)

I really liked the movie, but, I wish it hadn't been so violent. I saw it in Imax, so, maybe it was louder and more violent to me than if I'd seen it in a regular theater. I think the story could have been the same and still as great w/o so much violence.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. My 16 yr. old dd saw it twice and liked it just as much the second time, yes, she already knew what would happen...and that took away some of the joy, but she got more out of it - a better understanding and noticing things she hadn't seen before, so, all in all, she liked it just as much the 2nd time. I will watch the credits next time I see it and listen to hear if the top topples. I did hear it wobble, which always leads to toppling, I think.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Thanks again for all of your input! my son said he has just told himself that it was all true and feels more satisfied! lol I will tell him about the credit thing. Good find!

Neko

08-03-2001

Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Neko a private message Print Post    
Found this on Yahoo Answers, thought it pretty much summed up everything quite nicely.. Not mine!

quote:

In dreams the Totem always spin constantly and smooth, never wobbles. At the ending, it WOBBLES -> it's REALITY. If you listen carefully after the black out [not after the credits], there's a sound of the Totem wobbling n dropped.

Cobb didn't wear a wedding ring while in reality, but he wore a wedding ring in the dreams [because in dreams he's still together with Mal]. He didn't wear it at the end.

The kids looked a bit older in the ending, & in the credits there are 2 pair of kids: Phillipa (3 yo & 5 yo), James (20 months & 3 yo). They're wearing similar outfits to the ones he remembers [in his dreams], but their shoes are different.
Remember, almost all the major of the flick has been taking place in dreams, dream time is much much slower than actual time (even slower as they go deeper into the dream). No reference about exactly how long Cobb has been away from his kids, so we can't rely to the "age of the kids" as an indication that he is in the real or dream world.

He's not dreaming all along. After his mission to get Saito's secret, Cobb sitting in his hotel room alone, spinning the Top [Mal's Totem] and watching it intently, gun in hand. He's ready to blow his brains out if the top keeps spinning, in order to “wake himself up”.

While Cobb & Mal in the Limbo, time is like infinity, they built their world based from their memories. Mal thinks that it's reality. She locked away a secret, deep inside herself, something she once knew to be true... but chose to forget. Mal got the idea "that they're still dreaming and need to die to escape" while they're trying to get back to reality. Cobb was saying; "You're waiting for a train. A train that will take you far away. You can't be sure where it will take you. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together." It's his way to calm Mal while they're trying to get out from the Limbo to reality. Unfortunatelly the idea sticks in Mal's mind even after they're back in the real world.

Cobb: "What's the most resilient parasite? An Idea."
Cobb: "Never recreate from your memory. Always imagine new places."

To return to reality, need to get back layer by layer, one must stay awake in each level [the dreamer stays]. They need an "alarm" [the music] to synchronize time of the 'kicks'. After reaching 1st layer, they just need to wait till the time is up to wake up: before the plane landed. How they can stay in 1st layer without being attacked, I am assuming it's because Fischer thought he's actually back in reality & he's not feeling threatened, also he got relieved after getting the secret of his father's feeling towards him, maybe this has "switched off" the defense system in his mind.

Levels of dreams: 1st was the rainy day abduction in car [Yusuf's dream], 2nd in the hotel Room 528 [Arthur's dream], 3rd the snowing base in the mountain [Eames' dream], the 4th was Mal's world where Mal hid Fischer [Cobb's dream], then Cobb went further to the Limbo, to rescue Saito. When people share the same dream, when they die they'll go to the same Limbo.
At 1st level Cobb died drowning [and he also got stabbed in the 4th level too - not sure which one actually causing his death], so he also went into Limbo but that doesn't matter since he wanted to go deeper to rescue Saito anyway. That explains why he didn't instantly tell the facts when he met Saito, coz he also need time to regain his conciousness about what's real and not real.

How Cobb and Saito were able to come back? Simple, with the pistol.
Die in normal dreams -> awake from dream.
Die in dreams [under strong sedatives] -> stuck in a Limbo.
But in a Limbo, they have to die to get out, just like Cobb & Mal escaped their Limbo.
The problem is, in a Limbo people usually not aware that they're dreaming, it's feels real. They need to be reminded first that they are dreaming.

Saito: "You remind me of someone... a man I met in a half-remembered dream. He was possessed of some radical notions."
Cobb: I came here to tell you... something.
[pause]
Cobb: Something that... you once knew to be true.
Saito: [remembering] Impossible...
Saito: Dare you take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone.
etc...

Limbo is actually unconstructed dream space – a place of raw (and random) subconscious impulse.
Limbo might not tied with levels, people might get lost into it from any levels. There's no standard about what level [or how deep] a Limbo is. Either died on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level, goes to the same Limbo.
Well no details about "going into the above levels" from Limbo, but when Cobb & Mal escaped the Limbo, they only suicide once.

Was Saito truly powerful enough to make one phone call and end Cobb’s problems or was that just Cobb in limbo projecting his subconscious wish to go home? You can argue logistics all you want, but if it’s said that Saito is a powerful and wealthy man (he bought a whole airline on a whim), then there’s reason enough to infer that he could bend the legal system for Cobb. Rich powerful people bend laws all the time.

Cobb: For this to work, we'd have to buy off the pilots...
Arthur: And we'd have to buy off the flight attendants...
Saito: I bought the airline.
[Everybody turns and stares at him. Saito just shrugs]
Saito: It seemed neater.

Is there something up with that immigration agent or is he just an immigration agent? After two viewings, the conclusion should be that the immigration guy is just a guy. If he’s staring at Cobb, it’s because his job is to look people over and scrutinize them. Would you want immigration letting people through without face-to-face scrutiny?

In the airport, members of the team acknowledge one another, but they don't talk to each other coz it'd look suspicious for Fischer if everyone in the first class cabin just happened to know each other. :P Fischer also looked at Cobb, coz he recognized his face, he was talking to him when the flight begun.

I heard some said that people are staring at Cobb at the airport, because they're his "projections". They are not. Why? The "people" who are looking at him are his team mates and imigration person. Besides, projections would only "attack" a Dreamer when a Dreamer tries to invade a "Mark's mind". It's a defense system trying to locate who is trying to invade/intervere in the Mark's mind. If Cobb is the Dreamer, he wouln't have hisown Projections attacking himself.

Dreams feel real to us when we’re dreaming and part of the reason for that is our mind’s ability to construct a faux real-world setting for us to interact with in dreams. Often, that dream is something like a city or any populated area which has other people walking around it. in Inception, those people that the unknowing mark populates the dream world with are known as “projections.”
Projections are not part of the mark’s mind – they are manifestations of the mark’s vision of reality. If a mark has been trained to defend themselves against extractors, they have a part of their subconscious which is always on guard against mind-crime in the form of militarized security which attack mind invaders.

Example:
1. When Cobb brought Ariadne enters his dream. Ariadne changed the surroundings, creating paradox. The projections started to "attack" her because she's messing in Cobb's dream.
2. In the second layer, Arthur's dream at the hotel. When Cobb approach to Fisher and start telling him that he's actually in a dream, once Fischer started to become aware, the projections started to look around, looking for the dreamer who invaded him as the Mark. Arthur and Ariadne were sitting in other part of the hotel when the people around them started to look at them [in this case Arthur].

Cobb: There's one thing you should know about me. I specialize in a very specific type of security, subconscious security.
Fischer: You're talking about Dreams?

Arthur: Quick, give me a kiss!
[She kisses him and then looks around]
Ariadne: They're still looking at us.
Arthur: Yeah, it's worth a shot.

About why Cobb's Dad was in the States, this explained when Cobb called his kids, said he'll send gifts through the grandfather. When Cobb visits his Dad in the school, he drops off presents & asks him to give them to the kids when he goes back, this implied that his Dad flies to the States once in a while. No exact reason why the grandmother not showing up as soon as Cobb arrived, probably because she was so bitter & once believed that Cobb would never return.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, August 09, 2010 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for posting that Neko. Much of it made my head spin, but the final paragraph about why the grandfather was there was very helpful. I had a friend use that as an argument for it being a dream. I'm firmly in the non-dream camp, and this helps!

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Ariadne gave Theseus the ball of yarn to find his way back out of the Labyrinth. Read the short story that was the basis of the movie Total Recall. He thought his memories of Mars were not real, but that he paid for them for a cheaper vacation. Instead the blocking of the real memories was wearing off.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
December 7th

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 3:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Apparently the USA & UK get different dvd extras.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 4:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The extras on my dvd total 11 minutes 54 seconds. yikes!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Not even 12 minutes of extras?! Disappointing.
Wo, what's different about the UK extras?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Well for starters they're approximately 68 minutes long. The first feature is a documentary on dreaming. Second feature shows how they came to be involved with Saito. Feature three is 10 tracks from the soundtrack. Feature four is a conceptual art gallery. #5 is promotional posters. #6 is 3 trailers #7 is 13 tv spots

The US version feels like either somebody made Nolan mad or he just didn't care. The only slightly positive thing is that I bought it with a Walmart giftcard. So I feel worse for those who didn't.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think you get those longer extras if you buy the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy. Which I didn't do either - which is annoying as it's only $1 more at Amazon than the single disc dvd copy I did buy.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Oy vay

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
And the dvd will start playing by itself if you don't pause/stop it.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
I haven't been so disappointed in a movie since Avatar.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Sorry to hear that :-(

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
No worries, Ketchuplover. It's been implied that I am just too stupid to get it and should stick to Pauly Shore movies.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
LOL Hermie. I hear some people like Sandra Bullock's films. Maybe you can try those before you reach rock bottom with Mr Shore.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hey! I love Sandra's movies. ;)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
LOL Tishala.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Tom Hardy is signed to star in more Inceptions.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I watched it yesterday. I found the concept fascinating. It was longer than it needed to be, but I liked it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
An ad for Adjustment Bureau said it's better than Inception! I'm skeptical.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
KP, they'll program you to like it, even if you don't.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I finally watched Inception. Visually stunning, solid acting and characters and a fascinating, thought provoking original story. I love movies that make the audience think. This was great.

I also enjoyed reading all your comments and analysis. Imagine that. A movie with a story people can talk about.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
I watched Inception again today for about the 10th time and I am confident I finally figured out the dream versus reality question at the end. I am 100% certain -- it was reality, not a dream.

During the part where Ariadne goes into Cobb's dream world and he explains to her about the last time he sees his kids and he wanted them to turn around so he could see their faces but he had to leave and couldn't wait for them to turn around, and so in his dream they are always facing away from him and he can't see their faces. Cobb's dreams aren't dreams but recreations from his actual memories, and in that particular memory he could not see their faces. Then, at the end of the film when Cobb checks his totem, the kids turn to look at him and he doesn't wait for the totem to fall because once the kids turn to look at him he knows it's reality because in his dream world he would never have been able to see their faces.

I'm surprised I never caught this before -- I think I was fixated on his totem and didn't make the connection about the kids turning towards him but this suddenly made perfect sense to me.

Not sure if anyone else noticed or mentioned this but I'm now absolutely certain of this conclusion.

Feel so much better now

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
but he had to leave and couldn't wait for them to turn around,

yes and this time at the end he has more time so they turn and then the Totem falls over. Doesnt it?

have seen end twice back when it was a new show

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
then the Totem falls over. Doesnt it?

It doesn't actually fall over, which is why we're left to debate whether it's a dream or reality. It looks like it's going to fall over, wobbling a bit, but we don't actually see it fall.

I'm waiting for it to play again so I can watch one more time to double check myself on this theory but I believe this conclusion is the correct one.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I like your conclusion Jezzed! I never fell into the "dream" camp. I think the totem was about to wobble and fall at the end, he was back in reality. I have only seen the film once and really liked it. Maybe I need to watch again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: