TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 11, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu: Archive through July 11, 2018 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you haven't watched the finale yet, be sure to bring some tissues. You'll be sobbing.

It has a pretty cool cliffhanger, too!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Episode 11 is this coming Wednesday. Just saw a preview I will need tissues. I needed them for episode 10.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ohhh, last season had 10 eps, so I was assuming this season did, too. This season has 12 eps.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So much for that seed of hope. Two episodes left to this season: June 27 and July 4th. Ironic.

Kellsma

08-27-2002

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellsma a private message Print Post    
I just read there are 13 episodes in Season 2 so we get 3 more!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Good news on 3 more episodes, as I could not handle being left dangling.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Wow....last nights episode was a hard one to watch. Mr.Waterford raping her, then her seeing her daughter after so long and having to say good bye again knowing what type of life she will have in this 'new world'. Really depressing.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The last episode was really difficult to watch. I'm on pins and needles wanting to know where she'll go from here.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So tonight's episode continued from her being left alone at the isolated house and standing in the snow. All I'm going to say is you better love Elizabeth Moss because she is pretty much it for most of the episode. I understand why they did it but I have to say that I really enjoy the episodes where we learn more about the others. This is such a talented cast!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Did you see the maps on the wall in the office of the vacant house? I think it showed the stages of how this crazy regime took over. It started in the southeast and northwest, and closed in.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, July 02, 2018 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Ok, just watched this weeks episode, Canada gets their episode on Sunday nights, looks like it plays earlier on Thursday for the U.S. judging by above posts.

I wish she had taken the shot! This episode was boring, like 'filler'. Ok so she had the baby alone and flashbacks to her delivering her first baby ect. The only interesting part was the Waterford's arguing.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, July 02, 2018 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Naja, I did't see that much of the maps. Now I want to look for pics of them.

Miz - new episodes are available on Hulu on Tuesdays here in the US. I'm trying to comment in a way that won't be a spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished binge watching season 2 of The Handmaids Tale. Overall, I think it was good, not enough of Alexis Bledel or Ann Dowd. IMO, season 1 was a bit better, however, am looking forward to season 3 with Bradley Whitford as a new Commander.

Some if the episodes seemed a bit dull and others were mesmerizing. Poor young, brainwashed, foolish Eden. I think I would like to see an episode focused on the Martha's.
Loved the Canadians kicking the Waterfords back to Gilead and hearing the radio broadcast about sanctions from other countries.

Serena is enough to make you scream. I enjoyed (?) the vicious fight between Serena and Fred. I have no sympathy for either of them.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We have binged the two seasons so far and caught up. Though some episodes aren't as good as others I have been mesmerised (good word, Sugar) by them all, and it's the first show hubby and I have watched in a long time here we were both rapt through every episode.

What are everyone's thoughts on Bradley Whitford's character? Is he secretly sympathetic? I know he is meant to have devised the colonies, but it's possible he has seen it in action and is horrified by what he created.

Also, where are the colonies? Are they meant to be in the plain states or something? I presume they're in mainland US. And what are they digging, how did it get there?

Btw, Sugar, there's one episode left, coming this Wednesday.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 5:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I have not seen enough of Bradley Whitford's character to have a feel for his thinking.
In my mind I keep envisioning the colonies as being on the East coast of the former United States.As to what they are digging up it is something to use for fuel ?
The one problem I have with this show is the darkness at times which makes it hard to see what is going on...
Serena had the sense to recognize that she needs June........at least for a while.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Really Kitt? I thought that was the last episode, now I am excited!
No, I am sad, I will be taking care of my Dad next week and he does not have Hulu or Netflix. I think he watches a lot of sports which does not interest me. I have no patience and don't want to wait until I get back home!

Regarding the Bradley Whitford character, he seems cruel vs contrite. I suspect he will be deliciously horrid. He seems somewhat atypical with his crazy cluttered house whilst the other Commanders decorated from Fanatical Fundamentalist Monthly. They probably had the Martha's cut out the pictures to show the wives as women are not allowed to read.

I suspect The Colonies are the former midwest that was decimated by the war and has become a nuclear wasteland. I had thought the West Coast was still the USA, but I think June and Nick made mention of someplace in California being Gilead. Seems that Alaska and Hawaii are still USA. Didn't someone mention that one of these last episodes had a map? I will need to go back and look. I would do it right now but it is my husbands birthday, so I suppose he gets to control the remote.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hope your dad does well next week Sugar. It will feel like a long wait!

I thought there was a chance with Bradley Whitford mostly because of his Martha. She was borderline rude with him, or at best overly familiar (for the Gilead). That made me think that he might not be quite how he seems.

Also I'd assume he doesn't want a baby, which is meant to be the only reason the Handmaids are there. His wife seems too ill to look after one, and he doesn't really seem that he would be keen to. Perhaps it's just expected that you take a handmaid anyway, or that you have one for the sex under cover of the procreation, but then he needs to stop her getting pregnant.

(Which reminds me, who would want to risk having a child with someone who has just returned from a contaminated zone??!)

That's a great answer about the colonies, Sugar. Makes total sense. I'd forgotten they'd been a literal war rather than just some sort of coup. A few dirty bombs would probably cause that sort of damage without it having to be a proper nuke.

Yes they did say California was at least part Gilead controlled; I had also assumed it was an east vs west thing.

This is the best screenshot I could get of the maps:
hand

I assume time progresses left to right, so then it started in the Utah, deep South and New England; spread to California, more of the north and south east, and NY and Pennsylvania; and then in the third cut off one it looks like it's everywhere.

Perhaps some of the areas that were late to change were bombed.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitt, he had a knee replacement which was going phenomenally well, however, now he seems to have a virus. I am a bit worried as an infection will attack an artificial joint.

I thought the exact same thing, Kitt! A very unorthodox interaction with his Martha. Although, wasn't she missing a eye? I am supposing under his household rule but could be mistaken, don't know if Martha's are exchanged/reassigned.
I also had the impression he was not interested in a child. Could not tell you why I thought so. As it is a horn y old man "religion" it could just be having a pretty young plaything to abuse. Perhaps this is the first time Gilead has brought the former handmaids/unwomen back from The Colonies, bestowing the handmaid status upon them once again. One could certainly surmise that the toxicity of The Colonies may render reproduction moot. Bradley Whitford's Commander could be the most sinister of them all.

Season 3 cannot come quickly enough for me.

I do enjoy discussing this.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Did anyone else think that baby Angela might have been suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy? Naomi has never seemed to be fond of or interested in the baby. I won't be surprised if she becomes mysteriously ill again.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, July 09, 2018 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
So just watched the most recent episode last night.

Mr Waterfield is back to his creepy self, asking her for 'more thanks'.

My heart ached for the mother watching her daughter die at the pool.

I don't know what to make of that man or commander of the home where his wife despised him. He seems angry and controlling but I too wonder if he has regrets?

Was this the season finale?

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, July 09, 2018 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Mizi...one more episode for a total of 13.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Episode 13-all I can say is WOW!

Cathie

08-16-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Wow, did not know there were 13, off to watch—thanks!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The finale was released today in the US, so run away if you don't want to be spoiled.....

I don't understand how that was the right decision! How's she going to be in any position to help Hannah now? And Nick too has blown his cover. Arggggg!

But I'm happy the certain someone was a good guy! Or was trying to redeem himself.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I was not predicting that outcome at all.