TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 17, 2017Naja25 06-17-17  3:28 pm
Archive through January 08, 2018Strategist25 01-08-18  2:06 pm
Archive through June 18, 2018Kappy25 06-18-18  10:47 am
Archive through July 11, 2018Roteach25 07-11-18  8:58 pm
Archive through May 13, 2019Naja25 05-13-19  11:02 am
Archive through July 03, 2019Marameko25 07-03-19  2:02 am
Archive through August 04, 2019Cathie25 08-04-19  6:49 pm
Archive through August 14, 2019Roteach25 08-14-19  3:07 pm
Archive through May 06, 2021Pamy25 05-06-21  9:28 pm
Archive through May 22, 2021Babyjaxmom25 05-22-21  11:40 am
Archive through June 18, 2021Pamy25 06-18-21  1:48 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

It was that pidgen Latin phrase from an earlier episode that meant don't let the b_s get you down!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Below his feet read the words, "Nolite te bastardes carborundorum," in bloodred. The fake Latin phrase is not new for Handmaid's Tale viewers; it appears in Margaret Atwood's book and earlier in the series, and was even the title for Season 1, Episode 4. In the context of the story, the idiom roughly translates to, "Don't let the *bas...* grind you down," but it's composed of made-up words.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a36739814/handmaids-tale-nolite-te-bastardes-carborundorum-meaning/

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
thank you both!

Punkin

08-13-2009

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkin a private message Print Post    
I took 4 years of Latin and remember the phrase as: "Nil carborundorum illigitamo". But, who's to argue over a dead language?

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Watched the final episode. I don't know if I will tune in again next season. Getting too hard for me to watch, feeling the same about Fear the Walking Dead; both are too depressing.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
At first I thought it looked like they were staging a fake escape attempt, but then I remembered he was being released. But it still looked like they were staging it to look a certain way. Just not sure what. I'm talking about how he got to the woods, not the stuff that happened to him once the women got to him.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
This is definitely my least favorite season, but that ending. WOW! I can't wait for next season. And I'm heartbroken about Nick. Wanted him to flee to Canada.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I had been waiting for the entire season to be available so I could binge watch and binge I did over the last 2 days.
Yes, this season was different, it had to be for the story to progress. I think showing less Gilead and more Canada was a good choice. How hard it is to have freedom again, to be able to have your own thoughts and struggle against the Gilead doctrine that had bombarded your life. Being overwhelmed by everything, choices, colors, people...Trying to figure out how to live your own life again, move beyond Gilead yet work towards letting the world know what happened and that it must stop.
Aunt Lydia is just as power hungry as the Commanders, and as cruel. Does she try to justify what she does, is she surviving as best she can or is she at her core an awful person? I do think her torture surprised her a bit, but just a bit. She would have been first in line to administer the beatings, maiming and ye olde cattle prod.

I was a tad surprised that the focus of justice and/or revenge was almost solely on Fred. Serena was equally culpable and even more cruel. Don't forget she was also instrumental in creating Gilead. I believe her book was a blueprint for how women are treated, perhaps not exactly how she intended but deals with the devil usually favor the devil. Were one inclined the beat someone to death, Serena should have been there along with Fred.
I'm not sure I get the point of sending Serena Fred's wedding band and finger, unless it is a warning and one she best heed.
I believe the person hanging on that brick wall was Fred, but I am a bit confused by Fred's clothes? Yes, he was wearing a white shirt but it looked like he was still wearing a white shirt and a tie underneath a bloodied white shirt. Perhaps he was also wearing some sort of t-shirt or undershirt and they straightened his tie? It just struck me as odd.

Regarding next season, I hope June does not go back to Gilead but she probably will and try to find Mayday. Poor Nicole, June didn't seem to spend much time with her and was willing to lose her again.
I am curious to see if they do anything delightfully wacky with Janine and Esther vs Aunt Lydia. Both Janine and Esther hold June in high regard and have learned from her or think they have but both are justifiably imbalanced. The pairing of Joseph and Lydia is also interesting. They will no doubt use and discard each other willingly. Lydia does not wield near as much power as she thinks she does and may be a wee bit blind to that.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I also look forward to Janine and Esther vs Lydia!

Kaili

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
Sugar, have you read The Testaments? They seems to be setting things to eventually transition toward that story. I think the finger was a bit of a warning ("I have the power") but also a little retribution on her behalf since Fred took her finger. Serena no longer has any protection via Fred. She still has June's recorded testimony against her plus Rita is there to testify against her.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Good point about the finger being possible retribution for Fred taking Serena's finger. How could a loving husband do that to his wife? It was horrifying.

Fred definitely deserved what he got, but I can't agree that Serena should have been punished that way too, Sugar. Serena's pregnant. Her unborn baby doesn't deserve that. But perhaps after the baby is born . . . That baby should most likely go into foster care/adoption, since Serena belongs in jail.

Kaili

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
I don't think anything like that will happen to her. Losing her baby I can see happening and that would be the worst kind of punishment for her.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I gave some thought to Serena getting Freds' finger after he allowed her finger to be chopped off as some sort of retribution but the handmaids have no sympathy for the wives who were as cruel, callous and culpable as the Commanders for the atrocities of Gilead. I think the handmaids will wait until after/if Serena has a baby, but her punishment at their hands will come and it will be mighty. They may kill her or more likely make sure she does not keep the baby or ever see him. They may let her know how taking a baby away feels for awhile but I can see them putting her on the wall at some point.

BTW, are all Canadian prisons as nice as these seem to be? I've seen smaller apartments in NYC with crappier views. Big bed, desk, seating area, big picture window, visitors dropping by any time of night or day. Probably have a very nice bathroom and maybe a small fridge and microwave.

No, I haven't read The Testaments yet. I was thinking of rereading The Handmaids Tale. I think I read it when it was originally published in 1985. I do remember reading it in one night and being utterly appalled. I also remember thinking that Offred was the ugliest name I'd ever come across until I quickly realized what the name meant.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have added Bradley Whitford to my list of celebrity crushes. I find him to be an interesting actor with some nice range. I like the way he plays Joseph.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think the justice for Serena will come in taking away her baby, as she'll remain behind bars (or as Sugar points out, in quite a nice hotel room).

I'd like the story to have the baby returned (or threatened to be) to Gilead, and see how much Serena fights it.

Also love Bradley Whitford. He was great in The West Wing too.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, June 22, 2021 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Agree with all you've all said today. Yes, 'prison' looks like the Marriott! :-)

And yes, I think Serena would not be happy to have her child returned to Gilead without her. I really think she doesn't want her own child in that system if she was really honest. And I hope we get the satisfaction of her child being raised by some nice family in Canada, hopefully former US citizens who escaped.

And yes Bradley Whitford is delish and I so hope he is part of the undoing of Gilead.

As for the finger, to me it was just an easy way to send his wedding ring back to her to tell her that he is not okay.
Do we know when we get season 5. I can't wait!

Kaili

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
I think political prisoners/detainees often get pretty posh treatment.

Season 5 won't be until at least next summer, Wish we'd get a few bonus episodes to make up for the shorter season this year.

I had no idea Bradley Whitford was the skeezy guy in Billy Madison and I still can't wrap my head around them being the same person. Did you know his wife is Mrs Makenzie on Handmaid's Tale?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I didnt know that but cant remember her character now

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Bradley Whitford is married to Amy Landecker, who is best known for Transparent. But she did also play Mrs. Mackenzie on this show back in 2019. He was formerly married to Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle).

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I wish season 5 was starting tomorrow. I want to keep binge watching and am interested to see what happens next.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Thursday, June 24, 2021 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
I came here to see if the season was over, guess it is.

So it ends with June behaving like the horrid animals she hates than ran Giliad. It is sad to see someone become what they hate. Thankfully we have no idea how we would behave but this was not a "happy ending" nor does it appear June will ever have a happy ending again.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, June 24, 2021 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Did anyone recognize Mckenna Grace who plays the part of Esther Keyes? She looked SO familiar to me that I decided to wait and see if I could remember where I've seen her before. I couldn't. I finally had to look her up and I was shocked.

She plays Sheldon Cooper's rival prodigy on "Young Sheldon"!

Her face is totally recognizable as "Paige" or "Mrs Keyes", but her acting talent transformed her into a totally different person on The Handmaid's Tale. This girl would probably do very well playing in an origin story of Cybill, the woman with "split personality" (previously played by Sally Fields) or a sequel to Orphan Black! :-)

Anyhow, here's a clip from Young Sheldon:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1272786/young-sheldon-who-plays-mckenna-grace-actress-in-series-imdb-paige-cbs

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 24, 2021 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh yes! I did think I knew who she was, but didn't bother to look her up.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, June 24, 2021 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Sanfranjoshfan, I also was rather impressed with young McKenna Grace. I knew she looked familiar but couldn't quite place her so turned to IMDB for information.
I really do hope Janine and Esther cause all sorts of mischief.

Kaili

08-30-2000

Friday, June 25, 2021 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
McKenna Grace is an incredible young actress. She's only 14, or maybe 15 now!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 25, 2021 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I looked her up, today is her 15th birthday!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 26, 2021 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wow! I thought she was older than that. Makes it especially creepy that she was married off to an old man and he shared her with his friends to try to get her pregnant (in the story). Just shows the horrible things Gilead does.

She is a really good actress.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 28, 2021 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just read that there will be a 5th and final series of The Handmaid's Tale and a spin off using The Testaments and featuring Aunt Lydia is in development. I had seen anything about there only being 1 more season of The Handmaid's Tale.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Friday, August 26, 2022 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
New season starting Sept. 14th, 2022.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 16, 2022 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought the first 2 eps of the new season were disappointing. I was really fighting the pull to be distracted. They spent quite a long time on June's crazy face.

Maris

03-27-2002

Friday, September 16, 2022 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I know Naja, they should rename the show the three faces of June. I think the season will all be about hardcore Serena and June's facial contortions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: