TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 17, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu: Archive through June 17, 2017 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wow. Just started this today. It really sucked me in. Here is the blurb from Imdb.com:

Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

Awesome cast includes Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men), Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) and Joseph Fiennes. Really, really good. It makes you wonder what happened to our country to make it turn out this way. New episodes are up every Weds.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Quite good, I want more than 1 episode per week.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I've seen three episodes so far. It is compelling and scary in so many ways.

Here's one of my posts from the Netflix thread about it.

The Handmaid's Tale is something else. It's like a post-Trump, hard alt-right, mega-Christian cult world! I find it really scary especially in this day and age. Very timely.

Dlkuhn4

07-13-2002

Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
I love it so far

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Exactly, Strategist! What I was thinking too.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
From previews it looks like a very bleak show. Is there any humor in it at all?

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
There is mild humor when at times the true thoughts of the handmaiden played by Elizabeth Moss are shared with the audience; otherwise the tone is serious. Especially when the scene involves the handmaiden and the couple she is "working for". This scenario which you will instantly understand if you are watching.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Mara. Right now my life is kind of bleak and I won't be watching it at this time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((((OG)))))

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I saw the movie last night from 1990. It was kind of blah. But I did laugh at the giant shoulder pads in all the wives blue dresses....LOL

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 3:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Naja, where did you see the movie? I would like to give it a try.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Wow! This show gets crazier and crazier. No surprise that the men have their own underground club.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 4:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Strategist, I found a copy on one of the torrent sites.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja. Not familiar, but I will seek it out here in Canada.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wow. What a cliffhanger! The thing I hate about these Netflix and Hulu series is that we get 8 or 10 episodes and then have to wait a WHOLE YEAR for the next installment! Ugh!!!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Was the episode with the underground men's club the season finale? I was under the impression that they were only a couple of episodes left to the series.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
No, there were 10 episodes. This week's was the last of the season. There were two episodes after the underground men's club.

I feel kind of bad for the commander's wife, even though she's a real b*****. She helped dream up this horrible theocracy, and now she's sidelined by it because she's a woman. Lot's of thinky stuff in this show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Okay thank you!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Okay after much Googling I've discovered that here in Canada on Bravo we're two episodes behind so the last one that I watched was episode 8 so there's 2 more to go.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering if we had to wait for the rest!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
One thing I don't understand is how do some of the women get to be wives? It makes no sense to me. I mean why didn't June and her husband get to stay together as a family and keep making babies?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I believe that the beautiful upper-class women who cannot bear children become wives. The ones who can make babies can only do so if the father is one of the upper-class men. The cooks and cleaners who can't have babies, become servants. Everyone who does not obey escapes or dies.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
..oh and up to episode 8 we learn that some of them become underground prostitutes/slaves.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I believe the wives were already wives of the commanders when Gilead took over. They are the "elite" class, and most of them are sterile. The "lower class" women who are determined to be fertile (have already given birth) were rounded up to be the handmaids to the upper class women (ala Jacob and Rachel and her handmaid). In a previous episode Serena Joy tells someone (June?) that she and her husband tried for years to conceive without success.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks Strategist and Babyjaxmom. I hadn't realize only high society were getting to have wives and raise children.