TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Comic Book (Spoilers) Discussion

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Walking Dead: Comic Book (Spoilers) Discussion users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 30, 2015Karuuna25 11-30-15  1:21 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, November 30, 2015 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I was thinking that too. I heard so much about Negen even when trying to avoid it, because I read other not as well moderated boards, so I know what he does and who he's meant to do it too. People are convinced that (and I'm assuming I can say this without spoiler tags because it's the comic thread) Glenn only came back from the almost dead under the dumpster so he can be killed in his comic book way with Negen.

That would break the show for me. I understand characters have to die for one reason or another and some are going to be people I don't want to die, but I don't need someone I care about (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares about these characters, even while understanding they're not real) to viciously have their head smashed in. What in that is entertainment? What in that is going to make me feel good about the show?

Back in Season 5 when they were all lined up at the trough in Terminus I started to heave when I saw what they were doing, had got up off my feet without realising it to kind of "flee" I suppose, and even with my usual technique of not watching and going "lalalalala" in my head I still couldn't take it and was practically hyperventilating when they got to Glenn, even when I knew (or thought I knew) they would be saved. This time I don't know if they will save him or not, if that scene happens, so my only choice will be to tune out in my brain and pretend I don't care.

And I don't want to have to "tune out" of the emotion of tv shows in order to be able to watch them. It'll just end up that I'm not bothered about the show any more.

So if they do anything more than allude to what Negan is doing, and if he gets anywhere near our guys, they'll just lose me. Sure I'll still watch, but it'll have lost something important for me.

They need to realise that what might be okay in a line drawing in a comic doesn't work on tv, and the emotions of their viewers are important things and they should care about them, treat them responsibly.

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Monday, November 30, 2015 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
The creator awhile back was talking about the comic vs the show, and said they don't always follow the comic.... If here is a,character they feel has a importance to show they will change it. The example was how michone was supposed to die, but they thought the actor who played her was such a powerful character that they had Andrea die instead.

In the comic with Negan, Andrea was still alive. So I'm hoping maybe they will kill off someone else instead of Glen.

I can still hope 🙌

Also it would really really suck big if it did happen to,Glen before He can actually connect with Maggie. I don't want that to be the last time those 2 see each other from afar.

But I did hear from a lot of rumor mill that by when he said a lot of people die, I heard it was .....

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Jessie, Ron and Sam - which I'm so okay with. They bring nothing at all to the show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 30, 2015 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lostfan, I hope you are right about that.

That's the thing about a TV show, you get invested in particular characters, and if they do kill off important ones, then you will lose viewers, if you don't replace them with equally compelling characters quickly.

I wouldn't be that upset if Glenn died, really, because they have shown so little of them in the last season or so. But yes, I would read here first and decide to skip that part.

They almost lost me at the horrific death of Herschel, and then again at the senseless death of Beth. That's when I started reading here before I watch, to provide a buffer for myself.

But if "lots of people die", and I have to keep tuning out my emotions, it would be easier to just not watch at all.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I couldn't help myself. I decided to go look up the fate of Negan in the comic books.

----

He's still freakin' alive! But he is MIA.

I really hope the TV show departs from the comics on this aspect, too.

Fan3

07-07-2005

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Fan3 a private message Print Post    
Wow on one chats in this forum.. I wanted to see spoilers.. lol. If anyone see this can you tell me how many comics there are? I have bought 4 for my son and wanted to know how many more I need to buy... ty

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Depends what sort of comic you're buying.

We're up to about issue 180, 180 something.

There are 40 volumes so far, and each volume has several issues in it (six or so).

And the Compendiums have about 50 issues in each, and there have only been three of them so far.

I keep looking for Compendium 1 at the library, but it's never available.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
During the lockdown I've discovered the joy of ebooks. And it finally occurred to me to look for the Walking Dead comicbooks online. They have them! So I am in the queue for the first compendium (which still, after all this time, had a wait list on it).

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wow, Im shocked there is still a wait list!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 15, 2020 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think part of that was the library were promoting comic books on their ebook page, so others saw it like I did.

It was available today and I've already finished it! It was Volume 1 (comic books 1-6), not the compendium. It's quite interesting reading something that's similar but at times quite different from a show I know so well. No mention of Daryl or Merle at all (at least so far). Some of the families at the camp are different. Carol's husband is already dead.

In the comicbooks, Shane and Lori slept together once when they were on the road out of Atlanta, not after that, not at the camp. But Shane was sure she'd come around eventually, and was jealous she'd gone straight back to Rick when he arrived, and that some people were thinking of Rick as the leader, not him. That's how they came to blows. So that part was similar to the show, but I think with the show I assumed Lori and Shane were secretly together most of the time before Rick came back, not just once.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 15, 2020 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I think I heard Daryl isnt in the comics and I know Andrea lasts a lot longer in the comics

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm up to volume 5, about 25 of the individual comic books.

They've surprised me. When we were watching the show, people on places like reddit were saying how much better the comicbooks were, claiming they knew the what was happening because they'd read the comic books... but the comicbooks are really different.

Obviously a lot of the tv show came from ideas from the books, but the people (who did what) are all mixed up, people live who died, swap personalities. For instance Carol in the comicbooks is young, 20s maybe, and she and Tyreese were instantly a thing when Tyreese turned up, and now she's making a play for Rick, even though Lori is still alive.

And the comicbooks are pretty sexist. Andrea sews their clothes, Michonne's only role so far is to try to seduce Tyreese. Carol can't exist without a man. At one point they form a committee to make the rules in the prison and there are no women in the committee. They even have a character, Rick, mention there are no women, but the others say it's ok because the women wanted it that way. Like someone who edited the comic pointed it out and wanted to make an excuse for it, so put in those extra frames.

And Rick comes across as a bit of a _ick, Tyreese seems like the hero character, but then he lets Michonne seduce him while Carol (his partner) is watching. None of the other characters really stand out.

It's a quick read and interesting by itself, but I am so surprised people went on about how amazing it was compared to the shows. Maybe they have wilder imaginations then I do and create their own worlds around the frames (which is actually very likely, I have zero imagination) but there's not much content, just a series of ideas that play out very quickly and then just move on to the next.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
that is interesting, I think I like the way they did the characters on tv better!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm up to Volume 12 now, Aaron has just met them.

They are definitely better now (the comicbooks), a lot more substance than in the early issues, but still the stories are very different to the tv show, even though the basic ideas are mostly quite similar.

One thing people say about the main show that I never agree with, is that if they came across another "good" group and told them what they'd done, the other group could easily see them as the bad guys. I don't think so, okay some kills have been dubious (the Saviours in the radio station particularly) but mostly they've only killed those who were a threat, because they have to.

In the comicbooks, Rick is a lot more quick to kill, like he kills Martinez to stop him going back to the Governor to tell him about them, but mostly everything is justifiable.

Then it gets to the part with the cannibals. In the tv show the group are really traumatised at that big camp they have, where they slaughter some people in front of them, then lock them into the A boxcar. After they escape, the few leaders follow them, then grab Bob, eat his leg, and leave him outside the church to torment them. They eventually end up in a standoff inside the church and Rick and others do slaughter them.

BUT it's kind of justified because of what they put them through, and then that they followed them and taunted them, and wouldn't go away.

In the comicbooks there's none of that bit about the compound and the boxcars. The group feel like they're being watched, and then the small group (six or so) of cannibals grab Dale when he's outside and eat his leg, then dump him back outside the church for them to find.

Rick, Abraham, Andrea and some others then go looking for them, as they think better to attack than defend, and after asking a little bit nicely whether they would leave them alone - to which they say no they won't, they're going to eat them one by one (like they ate the kids in their group!) - Rick and co kill them.

Justifiable I suppose as they were never going to give up hunting them, and if they did get away they would just hunt the next people who came along.

But they didn't just kill them. They hacked them to pieces, and made each of the others watch as they killed them one by one in turn like that.

That's Negan and Alpha stuff that is.

So yes, the comicbook group could definitely be the bad guys if they met another group.

And I also much prefer the tv character versions!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 28, 2020 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wow! I agree I like the tv versions better!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 08, 2020 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I finished the comicbooks! I was not a comicbook fan, and I am still not a comicbook fan, but I must admit it got really good, and hard to put down after a while.

There is no CRM in the comicbooks. Eugene is a bit of a hero, he knows how to do everything. Until an event, Dwight is a bit of a hero too, he runs the military. They don't really resolve Negan's arc, they let him be free but tell him he can't live with them, so he goes off on his own. They do show that he's alive later but not much time is spent on him. They make him a very sympathetic character, make out that he just got so wrapped up in saving everyone that he forgot to value individual life, and when he killed people in horrific ways to scare their groups, he was ... apparently ... just doing it to keep his people safe. You can almost buy it in the comicbooks, but that would never fly for me in the shows, it was all just too psychotic for him to go back from bashing Glenn.

The Whisperer part was similar to the show, but seemed to end quickly. Alpha died very early on, Negan killed her to try to please Rick, without instruction from Carol (who's long dead in the comicbooks) or anyone. Jesus killed Beta as the comicbooks don't have a Daryl. Oh and Jesus and Aaron are together :-).

If any one else is wondering whether to read them, you can go to the end of Comicbook 174 (end of Volume 29) before they get ahead of the tv show. There are only 193 comicbooks (32 volumes) so I carried through to the end, wondering how much I'd be spoiled for the rest of the tv show. The comics and tv shows have similar situations but played out with different people, or sometimes are just completely different, but I do now understand why readers claimed to know what's coming, just because you get a sense of it, even without the specifics.

When one of the library issues wasn't available I tried to find the books online, and found them all here, if anyone wanted to read them:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Walking-Dead/Issue-1?id=1715

In case anyone wants the chance of being spoiled, here's how the comicbooks ended... the main character is Carl, who of course died in the tv show, but the bits around it might end up happening:
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
At the end of the last season of TWD, Eugene and a crew met Stephanie, the woman Eugene had been talking to on the radio. That played out (with a few different characters) in the comicbooks. The people they met were from The Commonwealth, and they had a large community plus a few satellite communities around Ohio where the people inside lived very similarly to the before times.

BUT the leader ran everything on a class system. If you had a good job before you'd get a good job and fancy house and etc. now. The people who looked like stormtroopers (who met Eugene in the show) were responsbile for law and order for everywhere, so were completely overworked and underappreciated, normal folk felt belittled and that they had no say.

Then Rick and co appear, Dwight tries to incite the locals to overthrow the governor, Rick has to stop him. It's all going badly, then a herd appears and luckily our group's superb herding skills made them able to save the Commonwealth, no one listened to the governor anymore, and Rick made a speech that started them off with forming their own, fairer system of governance.

Then the Governor's bratty son - annoyed that his mother was overthrown and he wouldn't get to live in luxury - shoots Rick dead. In the morning Carl comes to wake him and has to kill Walker-Rick. Everyone works together in the aftermath.

Then 10??? years later, Carl and Sofia are married and have a daughter Andrea (in the comicbooks Andrea and Rick were together for most of it, hence the baby's name). Maggie is President of the Commonwealth, which now includes all the communities (Alexandria, Hilltop etc.). But her son Hershel is now a bratty, spoiled young man (like the son who killed Rick). Everyone is so well organised that people hardly ever see a walker, and Hershel has a little travelling roadshow with walkers as exhibits. One gets free and Carl kills it, so Hershel takes Carl to court for destruction of property.

Luckily Michonne is a judge, she outlaws keeping walkers as pets, so Carl isn't charged, but it leaves that nagging feeling that things are going to repeat themselves again.

It ends with Carl telling his daughter a bedtime story about the great Rick Grimes, and how he'd made the world they live in. Then he reminds her that that was her grandfather. Awwww.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, December 08, 2020 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wow Kitt, you went thru them quickly!

Thanks for typing out the ending. Wow! how different the comics ended up. Very interesting

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 08, 2020 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's certainly fast paced, and hard to stop reading as everything seems like you're mid conversation. I was saying to my husband, how am I going to go back to regular books, which are comparatively so slow moving!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, December 09, 2020 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: