|
| Author |
Message |
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Sunday, April 19, 2026 - 7:29 am
It's rainy and chilly today, and the winds are going to pick up to over 20 mph later on. Won't be able to get much done today. So, I just went out to my greenhouse this morning and I noticed old, strewn leaf mold all over my basil seedlings. My first thought was those damn squirrels got in again. But, the dirt wasn't disturbed. So what could have happened? I looked up, and on the shelf above the basil, I saw the gourd birdhouse I have stored there. So, the Carolina wren is back and she cleaned out the old nest that was in there. I guess we're stuck with each other for the next few months. It better warm up soon so I can plant my seedlings soon, before her babies are born and she will attack me to protect them. It's always something...
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Sunday, April 19, 2026 - 11:19 pm
Grooch, I am glad you are up to constantly always battling something.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Wednesday, June 17, 2026 - 8:31 am
The lyrics are me to a tee. Link Make sure the volume is on.
|
Dipo
Member
04-22-2002
| Wednesday, June 17, 2026 - 1:20 pm
Hahahahahaha that was toooo funny!
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Wednesday, June 17, 2026 - 10:01 pm
Bwahahaha, and oh dear!
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Thursday, June 18, 2026 - 6:11 am
Well, it really hits home for me since I work in garden retail. I choose to work here because I'm surrounded by plants, and people really are annoying in this town.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Friday, August 14, 2026 - 5:59 am
Putting this here just to save. I don't have a u tube account gardening on 1/8th of an acre
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Friday, August 14, 2026 - 9:29 pm
Whoa!!! That was fast and terrific! And down to Earth. You might need to get to know this woman, Grooch.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Tuesday, August 18, 2026 - 2:21 pm
Ugh! I just spotted a spotted lantern fly for the first time in my life and of course it had to be in my back yard. I tried to catch it to kill it but I couldn't. I had no idea they were so large. At first when it flew by my first thought was what kind of dumb baby hummingbird is that, but I knew it couldn't have been one. The worst part is that I just bought 6 large raspberry bushes yesterday that I need to plant. I wouldn't have bothered if I knew they were around. And I should have known and remembered. Last week a customer came in with a picture of a small bug she never saw before. When we googled it, it came up as a nymph spotted lantern fly. And she lived in the next town, so I should have remembered they were close by. The past few years everyone's been battling the southern pine beetle thats been killing all the pine trees around here. If you get those, you basically have to cut down all your pine trees. Everything is so frustrating.
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Tuesday, August 18, 2026 - 10:16 pm
OLD AGE IS NOT FOR SISSIES! You keep on it, Grooch! It will all be fine, kids. It will all be fine.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Wednesday, August 19, 2026 - 3:25 am
Thanks for the encouragement, Juju.
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Wednesday, August 19, 2026 - 10:05 pm
New mantra: IT WILL ALL BE JUST FINE. Keep on keeping on, kids. Oh, but also: NEVER ENGAGE A CRAZY PERSON. ... which will get you to IT WILL ALL BE JUST FINE.
|
Dipo
Member
04-22-2002
| Thursday, August 20, 2026 - 1:16 pm
LOL, we always said " Don't play with the crazy people"
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Thursday, August 20, 2026 - 1:35 pm
But, sometimes I like to poke them. 
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Thursday, August 20, 2026 - 10:47 pm
IT WILL ALL BE JUST FINE. But also: NEVER ENGAGE A CRAZY PERSON Oh, and also save ALL Juju travel sagas, because you never know when you might be called upon to email all of them to her in her old age for her obituary. Also, I AM FINE. But, I do like to plan ahead.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Friday, August 21, 2026 - 3:41 am
Juju, you are making me worried. 
|
Egbok
Member
07-12-2000
| Friday, August 21, 2026 - 2:31 pm
Juju, I understand where you are coming from. I've actually been keeping notes on favorite things I've done during my life to give my children some fodder for my future obit. Seriously. I'm hoping for at least 15 more years of decent health so I can see my baby granddaughter become a teen and see my grandson go to college.
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Friday, August 21, 2026 - 9:37 pm
Not to worry, Grooch, although I AM now older than many of our departed members were when they passed. I have enough money, I have enough food, I can still travel, I have a great husband. I live in a great neighborhood that is an over-55 condo association, but everybody has their own HOUSE. I exercise 7 days a week. I host a weekly outdoor get-together in the commonly-owned green space next to our house, had one tonight, where everybody brings their own chairs and drinks, and I haul spare (small) tables and chairs out to accommodate those who can't carry a chair OR don't have a walker they can sit on. People like to come, and we have fun. And we all look out for each other. But I don't have children or really close relatives, so I am probably going to have to write my own obituary, but as you all know, it is a lot. IT WILL ALL BE JUST FINE! and always remember: NEVER ENGAGE A CRAZY PERSON.

|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Friday, August 21, 2026 - 9:37 pm
Oopsie, I thought I was in my folder. Bwahahahaha!!
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Friday, August 21, 2026 - 9:58 pm
Oh, and thanks, Eggie. You know, as do all of you here that I wish you only the best.
|
Grooch
Member
06-16-2006
| Monday, August 31, 2026 - 8:19 am
RN I can't believe it. I went into my green house for the first time since like a month or 2 ago. I noticed something really odd on the shelf that gets the southern sun. When I went to take a closer look, I realized it used to be an empty 10" terra cotta plastic pot that was sitting against a bag of Plantone fertilizer. I didn't recognize it because the heat from the green house had basically melted it and some of the plastic bag of the fertilizer! There's not much left to it at all. I am so lucky it didn't catch on fire. Especially with the fertilizer touching it. I NEVER in my life seen something like this.
|
Juju2bigdog
Member
10-26-2000
| Monday, August 31, 2026 - 10:24 pm
<runs screaming from greenhouse> Aaaaaiiiieeeeeeee!!!!!!

|
Mack
Member
07-22-2002
| Monday, September 28, 2026 - 6:28 am
Our garden kind of got passed over this year. The main refurb and planting around here is mostly done in late April through May. We were in Europe and the Med during the most critical planting time so some things just didn’t get done. I was able to get the potted plants around the pool and patio done but the flower beds got virtually no attention as it was too hot for this old man to tackle in late May early June. Next year will be better timing as our major vacation is next January. Speaking of gardens I’m not sure where this belongs but one of the aspects of our garden is providing for birds and pollinators. On the bird side we have seed feeders, humming bird feeders, and a bird bath. For the pollinators we pick plants that attract and provide for them. Right now it is migration time for butterflies and humming birds so we’ve had a number of “visitors”. Had one humming bird that decided the feeder was their private feeder and they defended it tirelessly for the better part of two days. It appears the first wave of migrators has moved on as there are fewer this morning. I was surprised to read that some species of humming birds can fly up to 200 miles a day.
|
|
|
|