TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 27, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Home and Garden: Gardens R Us: Archive through April 27, 2011 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Could you perhaps hang it from a shepherd's crook thing?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Roxip, you probably could, but my backyard is just a balcony, so I don't think that would work for me. I might have a hook that is in the roof, but then it might not get enough sun, so I will have to check out.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked my topsy turvy last year and will be using it again. We planted our garden this afternoon. Will do the topsy turvy next week.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
URGGHHH...my daughter's father (who lives in my spare bedroom...another URGGHHHH) brought home a young dog that he found running at the disk golf course. That dog is in BIG trouble if she messes with my garden!

Ktbb

08-10-2003

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ktbb a private message Print Post    
Going out to go get my garden ready for planting. I'll plant next weekend, but there is already weeds in it.

Dfennessey

07-25-2004

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dfennessey a private message Print Post    
I bought one of hose shepherds hook last weekend and bought the topsy turvy this past weekend and hopefully within the next month plant

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My existing shepherd's hook wasn't strong enough for my strawberry topsy turvy...I had to hang it from the light that no longer works in my front yard...it was that or the basketball goal that nobody plays with anymore! My little strawberry plants appear to be flourishing 3 days in! That darned thing is heavy!

Ktbb

08-10-2003

Friday, April 30, 2010 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ktbb a private message Print Post    
Still haven't done my garden. We have CRAZY weather in Colorado. Maybe in 2 weeks.

Walmart had a neat planter type thing for the upside down tomato plants. Then it can sit on the floor. It was pretty clever.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 03, 2010 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yeah! Big puppy dog has gone home with the guy who is going to start mowing my lawn. What a blessing! I got to clean up the back yard and it almost looks normal once again.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hey Mack, how is that topsie-turvey working for you? I was talking to my sister and she doesn't like hers, says it is rotting the tomato plants so she is going to put them in the ground. The Home Depot guy told her to polk wholes all around the dirt holder and plant hummingbird plants in it, that they would do well.

Maybe you are having better luck.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Mine seems to be doing quite well. Maybe it's a climate issue or the amount of direct sun. My neighbor also has a couple and they look pretty healthy. Still too early in the season for tomatoes but I've got little yellow flowers so next step is little green tomatoes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My little topsy turvy strawberry plants are still thriving...LOL!

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Might add that I initially thought my plants might be rotting right where the plant exits the bottom of the planter. On closer examination I discovered the dark brown color was due to the water running through the potting soil, largely made up of peat moss, and actually leaching out the color like water through tea leaves or coffee grounds. That stained the first couple of inches of the plants but no harm as best I can tell. The plants turned out to be fine. Just looked at my neighbor's and his are doing very well and already have small tomatoes on them. Of course he started his about two weeks ahead of me....it's where I got the idea along with the TV ads that were running so much a month or so ago.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hmm, she did mention that she wasn't sure they were getting enough sunshine because she has them hanging from a hook on the rafter. She was thinking about getting the stand so she could put them out in the yard with more direct sunlight.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, May 07, 2010 - 4:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
That very well could be the problem but that's my opinion and generally speaking I can kill a silk plant so my success so far with my Topsy Turvy is amazing. It's actually green and growing!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
I also have Topsy Turvy tomatoes and strawberries. Mine are growing but not nearly as well as the tomatoes I put in my raised beds. The Topsy turvy's are still small and only have a couple of blooms on them....the raised bed tomatoe plants actually have gobs of tomatoes on them. In fact, tonight I made fried green tomatoes for dinner from those plants.

This is the second time I have tried them and so far I think raised beds are far superior to these things.

your right though, these things are heavy

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I can't comment about how tomatoes might have done here if grown in a raised bed. I can say that my TT tomatoes are coming on strong. In just the last week the plants have set dozens of little green "peas".

Boberg

10-04-2002

Monday, May 17, 2010 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Oh no!!! Well thats a problem Mack. Peas in your tomatoes...yuck! You think it is because of the TT???

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
All is good.....we've moved on to marbles. Whew....

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My topsy turvy strawberry planter has baby strawberries on it...I'm so excited!

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 3:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
After last year of 'topsy' tomatoes we made a raised bed over the old strawberry patch. The early girl is 7' tall producing daily already! The bell peppers also don't like TT since they just don't get enuff water. Our zone is 5-6 and very humid this year.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My topsy-turvy strawberry planter turned out to be a waste of money and I just tossed it in the trash! The strawberries never developed (although they were very cute in their infancy). The planter eventually tore from the weight of itself. I won't be repeating that experiment. It could be that Texas is just too hot for that kind of experiment.

I just stole a dead flower from a nearby business though (well, actually it was the Wylie Theatre). They had these beautiful tall yellow daisy-like bushes in front of their box office window and they were blooming like crazy - and it is January in Texas! They were very tall (around 6 feet or so). I pulled off a dead flower in hopes of finding some seeds. I can't wait to see if it does anything next year!

Riviere

09-09-2000

Monday, March 07, 2011 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Almost spring and getting ideas!!! We had one of 4 licorice mint reach 3' but apparently a rabbit ate the others the week they were all planted... They really do smell like mint and can be used making tea... Anyway, lone LM looks stupid beside mailbox. This year, transplant it to behind the mailbox, I guess. Put 2 shorter annuals to flank the mailbox... Coleus maybe?

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I'm back for another try. This time first thing I am doing is getting my soil tested. I know it needs to be prepared, this time I plan on finding out with exactly what. Nothing grows here. At least not producing plants. I can grow grass, palm trees, oleanders things like that.

Last garden I planted I can't say died. It just never grew beyond the original planting stage. I used worm casing in all the holes that year. That proved not to be enough. My builder to me I need lime. I plan on finding out for sure this time, before I waste all that time and money.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I saw my first bumblebee of the spring yesterday evening while out working in the yard! I was clearing out the daylily bed plus the bee balm & lemon balm area and pruned the butterfly bushes. Still got a lot a yard work to do. I need to figure out how to use the edger to go around the beds, prune a bunch more trees & shrubs, weed some more, transplant a few things, and maybe most of all do something about the wild blackberries (why couldn't they be black raspberries?) that are always trying to take over the back. I want to leave some of them because the birds & animals eat the berries and a bunny lives in the middle of the one patch. But those thorns on the canes are killers, gotta trim them so how.