TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 29, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XLII: 8th Show, Apr 27: Archive through April 29, 2022 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kar said
also thought it was tremendously telling that Maryann decided she had to play her idol because she felt that if she didn't, and then she didn't get voted out, it was because they *used* race to stay.

I agree.

Brenda, I agree Maryann was very eloquent last night. I like her more and more!

Jonathan went down a few pegs in my book but I think he is a real stand up guy and will hopefully learn from this.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I'm watching last weeks episode, Drea had no problem saying she needed to vote out Chanelle, maryann or Romeo.

I call bullshit on the racism train

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That wasn't a great episode for Jonathan. He just wouldn't listen to any of the women. I agree that Maryanne appeared very sincere.

These sorts of discussions are so difficult on a show like Survivor. The contestants are so emotionally isolated with no support and question everyone's loyalty and motives. They are physically and emotionally exhausted and the conditions are miserable. It's not the best time to be discussing racism or subconscious bias and I admire that the contestants were able to remain relatively calm and collected.

I'm not sure if Survivor is raising important issues here or exploiting people who are playing a game and experiencing extremely stressful unnatural conditions.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well Scooter, considering there are only two white people left, it's not like they're doing a lot of voting so I think that despite the expressed concerns about racism or subconscious bias, neither of those are going to be much of a factor in the outcome. Just like white people voting wasn't a factor in Rocksroy getting voted out.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Both Rocksroy and Drea voted out
Chantelle..explain that to me

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jimmer for bringing sense to this conversation, that's my point

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Both Rocksroy and Drea voted out
Chantelle..explain that to me

Good question. I'd try to explain the reasoning people have to explain that but I'd rather they do it. I'd probably just screw up the explanation in some way.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In fact, when Chanelle was voted out, only three of the eleven voters were white so I don't see how they were that much of a factor. Similarly, white people voting wasn't a factor in Rocksroy getting voted out. It just wasn't.

Like I said much earlier, there are a lot of people playing Survivor now who are not white, which is great. However, it also means that a lot of them are going to be voted out and some of them in a row as the game nears its end. It's simply inevitable.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, April 28, 2022 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer Check, Check and CHECK! Thank you!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 12:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, and to think I was hesitant about reading this thread late tonight because I posted so emotionally last night just after watching the show.

Thank you, Legalboxer, for speaking some other truths that most of us here would not otherwise be aware of.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer and Scooter, I totally agree with your posts on the subject.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I still think Legalboxer posted the most eloquently on this issue.

And I would remind gently that because someone is "not white" does not mean they are all part of one group.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I still think Jonathan is a good guy, I honestly just think he was not bright enough to get what Lindsey was saying. :-) And at tribal, I don't think I could have sat there and not said something similar to him, to defend my voting as strategic.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I agree Brenda.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
I am not looking forward to the reunion show because I know it will all be focused on race, race, race. I have not missed an episode of survivor, ever. But this season is ridiculous. Why did Drea alll of a sudden have this realization. She voted Channell out. Most of the people talked about getting rid of Rocks from day one because he was so bossy. Everyone posting negative about Jonathan, well he literally drug a lot of them to victory in reward challenges. We all know who the winner is going to be. Just give her the check so we can get to a better season.

Spear

08-05-2001

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
Unlike the audience, Drea and Maryanne didn't see what led to Rocksroy being voted out, something that was a shock because they weren't expecting it. I don't get why it's so horrible that they're concerned that some unconscious bias might have affected the vote.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Spear, that's part of my point. They didn't KNOW what led to Rocksroy's vote, and automatically went to the worst case scenario, rather than calmly reacting and waiting until they could find out what really transpired.

Spear

08-05-2001

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
Except they weren't going to know what happened until after they voted and went back to camp. So they should just go ahead and stick to the plan to vote for another black person no matter how bad it looked to them?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Spear, I agree. TBH, it really didn't matter *why* Rocksroy was voted out... it wouldn't have changed their seeing clearly that two had been voted out in a row, and Drea's suspicion/sense that she would be the next one, when she saw him in the jury.

And that's certainly not without precedent in the history of Survivor either.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Spear, I did not say they should vote for another black person. Please show me where I did, in case I'm mistaken. I'm not bringing black/white/asian/gay into this.

My issue isn't to who they should or should not have voted out, many times when these types of tribals have happened, plans of who is being voted off changes. My issue is to assume something that you don't know and to make the racism innuendo, before you have all of the facts. Especially when you had a part in voting out the first jury member that is sitting there.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They both stated quite clearly that they weren't calling anyone racist. Read my transcript above.

And when a black person votes for a black person, that's not racist, so that's not really at issue. :-)

Jonathon then takes offense saying the others are being called racist (that's the first time the term is used). Drea immediately says "no one ever said that' (she's correct). Then Jonathon calls Drea "aggressive." (but yeah, he's not subsconsciously racist at all... insert eye roll)

Maryann then tries to explain to Jonathon about "subsconscious bias" and Jonathon says that means I'm subconsciously racist" and Drea and Maryann again try to tell him that they are just sharing how THEY feel, and Drea says it's just a fact that a lot of times minorities get kicked off first in this game, and then the kicker...

Drea says this happens all the time... we speak and then we get shut down because people say we're calling everyone racist and we're NOT.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Maryanne was probably legitimately shocked, but her open mouth shocked face was the same face she shows every time she finds out who was voted out when Jeff announced same at the next competition. And that is pretty common on Survivor, people showing the shocked face at that time.

Not saying she wasn't more shocked but the reaction was not unique to this situation.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On Survivor Know it Alls they were speculating that if Tori had used her shot in the dark and was safe and production put more parchments out and Lindsay happened to also draw a safe (they are saying 1 in 6 would be safe), then they would have had all five people being safe, two from shots in the dark, two from immunity idols, one from individual immunity..

They were just speculating what would have happened. Highly unlikely, but had Tori been safe, Lindsay would have been another one sent home (to jury in this case) with no votes needed.

In Tori's interview, she was pretty sure that if their tribe had gone first to tribal, she would not have been voted out. We will never know.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Just to be clear, Maryanne wasn't the only shocked face... ALL FIVE of them had shocked faces when they saw Rocksroy sitting on jury. All of them.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, April 29, 2022 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Kar, respectfully, I've read all of your posts. The racism term is implied.

And when a black person votes for a black person, that's not racist, so that's not really at issue. :-)

I beg to differ, it IS an issue. You and I will NEVER agree on this, and I'm ok with that. The issue is that they consider themselves a "group", so if they want to honor that group, and the "people like them watching at home" then they don't vote out any of their group. PERIOD. Otherwise it's a double standard. Oh I can vote them out, but none of the others can. Also, let's not forget it's a game.

Yes, ALL of them had shocked faces, great point! That's because it wasn't part of the plan for Rocksroy, there was an alliance that included Rocks, so obviously something went down. But only 2 took it to new levels deciding not to wait to figure out what happened, but jumping to conclusions.