TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Help with kitchen appliances

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Help with kitchen appliances users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 02, 2016Kookliebird25 02-02-16  11:32 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Mameblance, I suspect she is right about cleaning the bottom freezer, I have one, love it but I haven't cleaned it once since I got it and it has been a few years.

Lately I have been thinking about cleaning it, LOL, which will involve taking out the lower basket and wiping out the bottom.

Nothing really spills in there, but I do have ice that has somehow fallen down there.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Thanks, guys, all good points to consider.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We have a side by side and I am waiting for it to die. Unfortunately, it's only 12 years old and going strong. I want, want, want the French door top with bottom freezer/drawer because I am so sick of not being able to get things to fit properly! We eat a ton of fresh veggies and fruit, and it never fits in the two drawers that are available.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I like my side by side, *except* they don't work well in corners. My freezer side opens against the wall, and since you can't swing the door more than 90 degrees, you can't pull the drawers/sliders out for easier cleaning. Kind of a pain.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL Mame, I have had mine for 3 years too and haven't cleaned it. not sure why you would need to unless something spilled or thawed. But I have had to empty it out and I find it really easy to get stuff out.
teach, that's another reason why i love ours. so much room for veggies.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had a side-by-side, thinking we would love it, and did not. Don't even think about getting a frozen pizza in there! We now have the freezer drawer on the bottom kind and like it much better. When I say we, I mean food service in our house, Bigdog. Bigdog is food service. I am travel and transportation.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I haven't cleaned my freezer as yet either. It would be a matter of just sliding out the basket drawers and cleaning the bottom. I LOVE the freezer drawer on the bottom. When I had usual freezer door on the top, things would sometimes fall out like Fibber McGee's closet.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So glad to see I am not the only one who hasn't cleaned the freezer, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I currently have an upper freezer (and that is from 1986!) but previousl had a used fridge that we got from a couple where the wife wanted one of the then new side by sides. It was a Norge with a bottom freezer and we LOVED it. I let my ex keep it when I divorced him.

The French door ones sound good to me.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
No side by side. It sucks, nothing fits. My ideal set up would be a small fridge and a large freezer. Or even half and half.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I appreciate all the information. We're still looking, don't want to make a mistake on something we're going to use for years.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I can't clean my freezer side, without moving the fridge. Because of that door opening issue.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
oooh, I never knew we had this thread. I have a side by side in my kitchen, and another fridge in my garage that has the top half freezer. If I only had one, I totally would not do the side by side, because its too narrow. But putting the bigger things outside, the smaller items inside works great.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We love our French door fridge with a large freezer on the bottom. It is a Kenmore that we have had for 2 years.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
If you get a side by side be sure your space is wide enough space so both sides can open all the way. ( Kar, I agree w/you....but also depends on space).

I've had all kinds..100% vote for bottom freezer fridge/pull out. So much easier getting items in
Eta juju just read your post re frozen pizza w/a side by side. I understand. Took years, but I can get one in now.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Is French door same thing as side by side?

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Mame, a side by side and a French door are the same in that they both have two doors that open out. The difference is that the side by side has doors that run the full length of the fridge with one side the fridge, and the other side the freezer.
On the French door models the doors run a little longer than halfway vertically and the door portion is the fridge with the freezer on the bottom being a pull out drawer.

I have a French door, love it and would never buy any other style.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, another reason for bottom freezer, hard frozen items won't slip off a shelf (and but you head, or toes)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Snoops! I think my MIL has the Side by Side.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Oh, another reason for bottom freezer, hard frozen items won't slip off a shelf (and but you head, or toes)

Yep, that is big reason why I like my freezer drawer on the bottom. Freezer on top with door, it was sometimes like Fibber McGee's closet when I opened it.

I love my freezer drawer on the bottom. Put my arms around my fridge -- "I love you."

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
TVCH lovefest alert!!!

<hugs Colordeagua and her fridge>

Can we get a group hug here?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm in a condo. Getting a new neighbor. They had a one bedroom unit GUTTED! It looks like no other one bedroom in the building. The kitchen it BIGGER. New appliances. Fridge is a Samsung French door with freezer drawer on the bottom. Freezer drawer is bigger than my Amana with regular single door.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Colordeagua, when I bought my French door fridge I was amazed at how many different sizes there were. I live in a condo as well and only had one place to put it so I took my tape measure to Home Depot when I went looking.

Some fridges are huge, LOL!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have a freezer in my garage, refrigerator style (not chest style, those are awful!) and that's where the pizzas go. :-)

It has several shelves and also room in the door for small items.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have two wire drawers in my freezer drawer. I have top drawer organized with items in plastic and wire containers. Bigger bottom drawer -- I just shove stuff in there. Who knows what's at the bottom of it? I should organize that drawer too.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, that's why I don't like the drawers so much. Hard to find that stuff at the bottom.

But then, stuff gets shoved to the back of shelves too, just not as much stuff to move out the way to get to it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
By coincidence, I just saw one of those handy tip posts on Facebook, that suggested lining your fridge drawers and shelves with plastic wrap.

No more cleaning. Just change the wrap when it gets yucky.

That works for me!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hey kinda ON topic ... my fridge has 2 crispers - one just says Crisper. The other says Humidity Controlled Crisper. I hate to admit this, I've never quite known their different uses. Although common sense tells me to keep anything I need really crunchy in the regular crisper. If anyone has any ideas or knowledge or even educated guesses... that would be really appreciated.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have two crisper drawers too. They both have slider controls to regulate the amount of humidity in the drawers.

From the manual:

"Slide the control toward the LOW setting for produce with outer skins. Slide the control toward the HIGH setting for leafy produce."

I put fruit in one drawer and veggies in the other. Don't pay too much attention to the humidity controls.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Color! Much appreciated. I guess I've been doing something right as I've been keeping lettuce in the Humidity Crisper.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Question - we have a Whirlpool side by side fridge (2 years old) that has been acting strange lately. It works fine for a while and then all of the sudden the freezer stops freezing will go from -4 up to 35 or higher. The fridge section will occasionally have the temperature rise several degrees but not as often as the freezer. Of course, every time we have a repairman out it is working fine. They have tested everything they can and can't pinpoint the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and could tell me what you were able to do? Like I said it's only 2 years old and was not cheap to buy, I'm not ready to replace it but I need a reliable appliance. Thanks for any insight you can share.

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
Jmm you might try pulling it out and checking the coils back there for dust.
I have big hairy dogs and you would not believe how much hair gets back there.
Funny about repair men that always happens to me too.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Repairman made sure everything was clean and filters, fans, etc. were good. This has almost got to be something electronic. It has an ice and water panel that has a lot of controls on it but since it has behaved with two different repairman they can't check them out apparently.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: