TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 02, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Help with kitchen appliances: Archive through February 02, 2016 users admin

Chandler

06-08-2002

Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chandler a private message Print Post    
I am getting new solid surface countertops in the next few weeks, and am thinking it is a good time to upgrade my appliances now as well. Everything I have currently is almond-colored. The new countertop has large flecks of tans, browns, and smaller flecks of white and black. I am considering either true white or black stove, refrigerator and microwave. My stove is a slide-in, and I prefer the smooth-top.

Anyone have experience they would share on a color choice? Does the glossy black finish show fingerprints? (there are no kids in the house any longer, but I don't want to have to worry about shining everything daily either).

I have considered stainless as well, but worry about the smudges that would show. The frig I am looking does come in the "cleansteel" finish, but the stove and microwave do not. I'm not sure that it would be wise to try to mix the cleansteel with the regular stainless?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
My mil and step fil have the glossy black appliances. They look really nice, but yeah, lots of fingerprints. They have a maid come in on Monday's and she wipes everything down, then I go over usually Wed/Thurs to sit with mil and help out a little and when I do I also wipe everything down cuz they're starting to show again. However, I don't usually notice the fingerprints unless I'm already cleaning up in the kitchen and am wiping stuff down already. It's not like they show across the room.

I have white appliances and they're a pain to keep clean. I do have kids at home and dirty little fingerprints are expected but my appliances show everything. I'm constantly wiping those down.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have black (inherited from the prior owner) and would replace with black when I need to. I think they don't show as much dirt and fingerprints, I had white in my former house and seemed to be always cleaning them.

Plus I have a white water filter in my kitchen (no black available) and I seem to wipe that down more than the appliances.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I don't have a glossy black fridge it is matte (I found out later that it was a white one spray painted) so I can't help on the fridge. But I don't notice more prints or smudges on my shiny black stove, microwave and dishwasher.

Ginger1218

08-31-2001

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
If you own your own home, I would suggest the steel. From a resale standpoint, that is your best bet. Personally, I love the steel - my friend has the one that does not show fingerprints. I think it is titanium. I have white, but if I could upgrade, that is what I would go with.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've been living in this condo for 24 years this summer. Finally over the past few years I got new kitchen appliances. Nothing wrong with the old Kenmores (they would not die) except they were harvest gold. UGH! White for me. Love 'em!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We have all stainless and they don't show prints. I love the way they look!

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
My niece works in a medical university lab and has preached at us about not getting stainless because germs and Ecoli live on them forever (or that is how she exaggerates it!LOL!).

I have the black cooking appliances and the cooktop does show dust and fingerprints. I have found that Windex sprayed on a paper towel is the best way to clean it. I have a stainless refrig that my former cleaning lady ruined by using regular cleaning stuff on it and stripped the finish. Make sure you have the Stainless cleaner if you got that route.

Ginger1218

08-31-2001

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
I was actually told by a veterinarian to specifically use stainless steel dishes for food and water, because it did not hold germs on it and was easier to keep clean.

Mack

07-23-2002

Monday, June 01, 2009 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
From my "medical" background as a shrink we always use stainless steel for the reason it does not harbor bacteria and viruses because it is non-porous and easy to clean. We have stainless steel appliances, done during a recent update of our kitchen, and I found a product that cleans and shines them like new with very little effort.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 01, 2009 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We always used stainless steel Volrath bowls for our dogs for those reasons.. of course they "decorated" them with lovely fang marks around the edges. I passed those along to Pamy and Bill a few years back, since I no longer have dogs.. and they were way too large for my kitty.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 2:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Need a new fridge for use in garage because our utility company is buying our old one... This is a 40yo GE 'rust' color that works fine, they are taking old appliances and pay $35... They asked what color it is. No idea why!
Want to replace the GE with a slightly smaller fridge. Black sounds best! Kitchen is white and it works since we have 0 kids now. I never liked stainless cold commercial look and can't waste $ on what is basically a spare that stores meats and soda pop.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Old appliances can be painted...there is paint specifically for that.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Your 40 year old fridge is probably sucking so much energy out of your home. A new fridge that is energy efficient might pay for itself in a short period of time.

I have never figured out how to easily live with just one fridge. Someone gave us one for our garage, but it didn't work. CA had a $200 rebate if we traded it (working or not) for a newer energy efficient fridge. So, for $200 ($400-$200 rebate), we got a brand new fridge that stores extras and my life in the kitchen is much easier! Plus, I can buy in bulk and save money because we now have that extra fridge.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thought I would tack on to this thread rather than starting a new one. Am looking to purchase a new set of kitchen appliances and the only places I have been able to get advice from are salesmen interested in a commission.

Our starting point (and sticking point) is the range. What we know for sure is that we want two ovens (full size ovens), what we are trying to decide is whether this will be a 48" wide double oven or a regular range with one wall oven or a detached stove top with double wall ovens. Price-wise I can't seem to find any double ovens (48" wide) less than about 12 grand (the viking is 16 grand plus tax) but it's my preferred layout. All the 48" wides I have found (viking, thermador/wolf) are heavy duty gas top grills. I don't need this, but can't find a regular style stove with 2 ovens. Anyone familiar with ranges and can point me towards other brands? I DO NOT want the double ovens where one is on top of the other, I have that now and the 2nd oven is useless for anything other than keeping a little cookie sheet warm.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, September 04, 2015 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
This morning, my microwave had died. I've never had to buy a new one. They were always given to me. I bought a new Micro Chef. Bought the extended 2-year warranty which only costs me an additional $7. Thought that was a good deal.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I bet the extended warranty was so low because they don't often die.

I am trying to think if I have ever even bought a new microwave. Oh! Maybe our first one, which was a combination microwave/convection oven. We bought it in Miami in probably the early to mid-80's, LONG after everybody else in America had had microwaves for years.

Can't remember the intervening others, probably no more than two. Our last one before our current one was from a condo we bought when we first retired (very young). We were going to rent out the condo, and we didn't want to be stuck replacing the over-stove microwave should it fail, so best not to rent the condo with a built-in microwave. A couple years ago, plastic trims started falling off the microwave. I happened into some kind of one-day furniture outlet sale downtown a couple years back and found a $400 used, but not very old, over-range microwave for $75. Took Bigdog back to look at it, and he jokingly offered the guy $50, and he said okay. And that is our current microwave. It is a dandy. I prefer to acquire things by serendipity rather than plan.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read a lot of recent stuff about microwave ovens. They said they used to be built for 30+ years, but not any more. And I read a lot of reviews that said they usually only last a year or two. One woman said her Micro Chef quit after only 3 months. Thought $7 is a cheap insurance policy.

All my previous ovens lasted years.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Btw, the last one was a Goldstar. I don't think the company even exists anymore, but I could be wrong.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So funny Juju2bigdog, I was just saying the other day (to the cats) I wouldn't ever have a over the stove microwave again. Anytime I cook something and it has to come to a boil the condensation on the front of the microwave is awful. I am always having to clean it when I cook even though I wasn't using it.

I know it's not a big deal but it annoys me, LOL.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hecka, that is both astounding and NOT astounding. Somebody screwed up and made microwaves that lasted thirty years, when they are only supposed to last 2 years. And now they have corrected that error, and they only last a short time. Huh!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Dra and I are looking to replace our refrigerator and are thinking that we would go with a side by side. Does anyone have one that they love or had one that that they would never buy again? We're basically looking for a place to start. Thanks

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
we have a GE french door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. I LOVE IT!! since it's french door you have so much space. we have had side by side and just felt like we lost space. i can put whole platters in the top. love it

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm in a one bedroom condo, so fridge space isn't big enough for side-by-side. When I bought a new fridge a few years ago, I got freezer DRAWER on the bottom. That is a drawer, not door, on the bottom. I really love my Amana (made by Maytag) fridge!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
My friend hates her new fridge with the freezer on the bottom. Says it's a major pain in the ass to clean.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I have a side by side. I do not like the freezer part. It looks huge, until you try to put things in it. Then, the size is limited.