TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 25, 2024

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Right now: Archive through February 25, 2024 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN I don't mind the actual serving, it's traveling to downtown Kansas City and back. I don't drive downtown or the crowded expressways. It will cost me big with Uber. Probably $80 or more.

I was juror #1 for a Federal criminal case. A man broke into a woman's apartment and beat and robbed her. We entered the courtroom for what we thought was going to be the first day of testimony, but instead we were informed he took a plea deal just minutes before.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
RN I would love to get jury duty again. I used to get called every 2 years, but haven’t been called for about 20 years. Probably been on about 15 juries over the years. Two were federal…. Those were the most interesting. One was extortion against PDX, the other was a personal injury against a state medical university.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The worst delivery I had was of our cat tower, which is about 80 inches tall and very heavy and it was placed on my front step so that I couldn't open my screen door.. Think if I was in an apartment with only one door! But I was able to go out the back door and around but this sucker was so heavy and front step is maybe 3 feet deep.. anyway I got it in and then had to wrestle it into place.

Even a fairly small but heavy box can trap you inside.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I did 6 months of federal jury duty in the seventies and at that time the nearest Federal Courthouse for all of So California was in downtown Los Angeles! Now there is one right in Santa Ana where I was then working. It lasted for 6 months but I will say they only called you to come in if they HAD a case.. only one time we got in and then the attorneys took a plea and from what we heard the judge ripped them a new one for causing him to call in a jury panel, but by that time all of us had experience and they asked us to sit on another trial. I was on 6 different juries and they were pretty interesting trials.

Here they often just have you call in the night before and you may do that for several days and never have to go in, or you may go in and wait. I've been on juries at superior court a good number of times.

But haven't been called in quite awhile.. maybe I'm too old.

Naja, that is a pain in terms of your business, of course.. Oh you got shafted by a last minute plea deal too..

One federal case I got out of was for one of the espionage trials (depicted in the movie The Falcon and the Snowbird, Andrew Dalton Lee and ??) and they had a panel of 400 called for each of those and knew they would be very long trials with sequestered juries. I just explained that because sequester means no phone calls that would really affect my job because being off was an inconvenience but not being on call was worse. Later I was on another panel with a woman who had served on one of those juries and she said at least one jury member got divorced because he was gone so long and others gained a ton of weight because their food was paid for.. but they had to pay for alcohol.. but there was so little to do and no tv because the trials were big news and even books were looked at.. she had a book about a trial and they took that away. So I dodged a bullet there.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I remember once getting a frame delivery for my business, outside my front door. Since the screen door opens out, I couldn't even open it! Four boxes, each weighing 36 pounds. I had to go out the garage, get the dolly and move them around to the garage (where I stored them). All this in spite of a large sign on my garage door that asks for large deliveries to be left in front of the (unused) garage door!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, I know those anniversaries are hard.

Mack, same situation here, and also I have many friends from singing and the senior center who are even older and I worry about them, especially since as a group most of them are in denial about COVID, air quality (lack of in venues like the senior center) and that singing with no masks and no distancing is a very high risk activity.. not to mention some did not or are not now vaccinating. And some have been sick.

But one guy seems to have the health of a horse (or better) and is 94 and pretty amazing!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
RN never too old to get a jury summons. When my mom was in her late 80s (she died age 89 in '96) she got a jury summons. She was too old both mentally and physically. We went to her doctor to get an excuse. Doctor said mom could do it. ??????????? (As I remember doctor was a youngish woman.) This was so many years ago. NO WAY could mom have served on a jury. She got an excuse / got excused. Don't remember details about it all.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I was only called once in my life! It was a two-week stint. I only got to serve on one jury because I knew someone in each of the other cases that came up! Mademe wonder about my friend pool!!

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Back to say "Good job, Naja!" Make him feel special - anyone who has been involved in a long - and hopefully happy - marriage misses that daily support!!

Don't forget to ask how all his family is!!!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN You bet I will, Tnt!

RN I can't believe it. Remember Yoshi? The dog that got sick and I had to find a vet that would take him? His mom just booked another week with me. She said her vet gave Yoshi a prescription of anxiety pills and dog weed this time. I'm hoping just the fact that Yoshi knows us already will help.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
RN I think I accidentally got myself permanently exempted from being called for jury duty. About four years ago I got a jury summons but it was for a date we’d be on a cruise. We can ask for I think two or three delays here without too much trouble. I called the court clerk to ask for a delay and she said fine but asked me my age. Told her my age and she asked if I could email her a photocopy of my driver’s license which I did. Turns out since I was over 70 I could be exempt from being called but that really wasn’t my intention. On the positive side I’ve been called here three or four times and sat in a huge room with 200+/- folks for three days and never got on a jury so not a big loss. Bottom line is I haven’t been called in four plus years so I guess I’m off the list.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
You can take great pride in like CBD? Yochi's mom feeling comfortable leaaving him in your care again! Hopefully this stay will be lessscary for both of you! Is "dog weed" like cat grass or CBD?

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN The dog weed I think is CBD, but it could be a hybrid with a with a little THC. Not sure.

RN Mr. H just picked up Aurora. He said he had a great birthday. And then he said he put my dog care profile page on his Facebook! How sweet is that?! He said maybe it will get me some more jobs.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Naja I instinctively want to click LIKE on your last post. So nice of Mr. H. to do that! :-)

I was on a jury around 2008. Got a 2nd summons while caring for DH about 4 years ago. Doctor wrote a letter explaining the situation and that was that. But I haven't received any others since, so I'm probably off the list.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
RN, Mack, I suspect you and I are pretty much the same age, and it is really freaking old, like when I realized some of the smartest people I was posting with here were astonishingly old, and now YOU and I are just that old. I think you may have a younger spouse, and say a prayer EVERY day for that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, that is great about the FB plug!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Great news, Naja!

As for jury duty, there was a period when I was called every single year for about 12 years. I had no issue about doing my duty and even enjoyed it for the first few years but then I began to realize how many people in my family had never been called even once, let alone every year, and I began to resent it. They claimed it was a lottery system. I wrote a letter of complaint about it and suggested that they go through the entire list before resetting it each year as they were doing. After that, it was only every 4 years or so. I got called at the age of 69 and learned that at 70, they will stop calling so they did get me one last time, LOL!

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
RN Indeed I have a younger wife and thank God for her every day. She is my best friend and my partner. We are especially appreciating our bond right now as just this past Monday we lost a close friend. We met David and Lynn 10 years ago in Venice, Italy and became instant friends. We have cruised with them several times, visited each other’s home dozens of times, and probably exchange hundreds of emails, text, and phone calls. They are “family”, our “brother” and “sister”. David was about a year younger than me and while he had more than his fair share of health issues none of them were immediately life threatening. His passing caught us totally by surprise as we had just talked to he and Lynn two hours earlier.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
If and when you get a job from Mr. H's referral, yu will definitely owe him a pie or loaf of quick bread!

Good sign that your welfare occurred to him on his birthday vacation!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
RN, condolences to you on the death of your friend, Mack.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sorry for your loss, Mack.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN The pit bulls are here again today. Here's a video of my Patsy playing with Naveen. Naveen is the nipper.

I put it on youtube this time,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eU4xJt6fTE

Dolly is outside with Max. They each have their favorite.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you for making it "viewable" for me! I do love those pups of yours!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
((MACK)) Deepest condolences.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
RN my friend’s services and funeral are taking place in Atlanta. We quite frankly thought the funeral would be next week and certainly not on a Sunday. His wife didn’t finalize the arrangements until late Thursday and we just couldn’t get there from San Antonio in time. Not really a matter of money, though it would have been very expensive, but all the direct flights were totally booked. The alternatives were to fly almost to the West Coast then back across the US to Atlanta. What typically is a direct 2 1/2 flight would have been 8 to 10 hours. We’re heart sick but their merged families in the Atlanta area are there and they expect 150 to 200+ other friends and acquaintances to attend so she has a huge support network. When she’s ready we’ll go see her or have her come here. As she said “we can drink some wine and laugh and cry all we want”. RIP David.