TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 16, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through April 16, 2019 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it doesn't help to not answer if you have an answering machine. Now I get their automated messages on my voice mail.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The vast number of calls are caught by NoMoRoBo, and of the ones that are not, most just hang up and don't leave a message and the very few messages I erase.

I rarely give out my cell number, and usually have it turned off, so I don't get many spam and scan calls on that number, thankfully.

Both numbers are on the do not call list which may or may not help..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
My "landline" is Comcast, and I plug into a cable modem, so it must be VOIP, doesn't work if power is out. Oh, I see what you are saying, Colordeagua. So, of course NoMoRobo would not work on a true landline. Duh.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog copper landlines at this time.

But they call voip lines landlines these days, I guess.

As opposed to call phones.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 1:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Juju, check with your cable company and see if you can get a battery for your modem. I didn't know they had them but somehow I found out and got one from the cable company for $5. Your phone will work for, I think, 24 hours if the power goes out. But don't quote me on the hours.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 1:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I turned my answering machine off 9 months ago. I'm still getting over 5 scam calls a day. Don't tell me the phone companies can't figure out a way to stop the professional ones that are just mass dialing all day long. If Facebook can figure out bots and Russian troll farms and cut them off, the phone companies and do this too with scammers.

They just don't care.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 3:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here's a happy story about a phone scammer getting his due.

Telephone scam artist picked the wrong target — former FBI and CIA director William Webster

And in case you don't read it, scammers are now using Google earth to get photos of your home, so they can pretend they are outside your house and are going to get you. What a scarey thought.

Eta: The story didn't mention Google earth. I saw that part on the news story on tv.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I set up NoMoRoBo on my Comcast 'landline' but it doesn't work. They say I have to call Comcast to fix it. Now there's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Grooch, the phone companies are working on it, but they are slow to the party. Sometimes the CallerID identifies the call as "Scam" or some other kind of identifier that lets you know they KNOW it's a bad call. So why not just block them?

If NoMoRoBo can do it, so can these companies.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Yeah I think Comcast is a scam all by itself, years ago I had them at the beach,but when the hurricane destroyed our RV park, I called to end my service. I think they are not allowed to say yes to ending service, the guy kept saying I could use their services even though I lived out of their area. I kept saying no I can not, I already have local service near my home, I must have spent an hour on the phone with that idiot, I asked to speak to his boss, he would not let me, in the end I hung up and drove to a service center to cancel my service,they were better, even though it was a 2 hour drive.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I’m sure most here are aware of and have even gotten a call from “MicroSoft Service Support Center” saying “your MicroSoft license has expired” or the “we have detected a security issue on your computer”. Now there’s a version saying “we are closing down our center and we owe you a refund”. I’m guessing they want you to give them a credit card number so they can “process” your return. Right. 🤪😕

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, I have a cousin who spends her winters in Mexico. She came last week for a visit and found out Sirus didn't cancel her service when she called them to do it this past December. They kept her on the phone for an hour trying to get her to keep the service even though she kept telling them that she's in MEXICO and SHE DOESN'T HAVE A CAR! Near the end of the conversation he had to read her a 5 minute disclaimer and in the middle of it she said to me that she needed a drink. Well, the guy said she disrupted him and he had to start at the beginning.

Now I know to never get that service.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sirius drive me crazy when I got my Proud in 2015, wanting me to sign up. I was already in shock over having a car payment! They emailed,can all mailed and called.

Later, I thought about subscribing, but read so many stories online, I just stuck to my own CD collection and I could play mp3 stuff as well.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
In the past I've given a little thought to getting Sirius. Thanks, now I know not to.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, translation, please: "Sirius drive me crazy when I got my Proud in 2015, wanting me to sign up. I was already in shock over having a car payment! They emailed,can all mailed and called."

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Juju, Maybe "Proud" is Prius and "can all mailed" is snail mail. Just making a guessing game out of Sea's auto corrects. We could even put it in the game section. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Arrgh. Jackie is fluent in Kindle Fire autocorrect.

Prius. snail mail.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
LOL, Jmm!!! You still got it, Baby!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Saw something on my FB newsfeed. When appropriate for scam / junk calls say, "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED." Caller hangs up.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't really know if it was scam. It was a robo call so take it it was. Picked up the phone. Someone was talking fast in an Asian language! Must have dialed the wrong country. That was a new one.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
New one? Picked up the phone. No voice right away, but noise. Then . . . .

Female caller said / asked, "Barbara Anderson?" (I don't know any Barbara Anderson.)

Me: No.

Caller: She left this number for contact person.

Me: Who are you?

Caller: This is locating service.

Then I figured they're going to ask bunch of questions to get info about me from me. NOT. I hung up.

Anyone get calls like this?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Could have been a skip tracer, but you aren't required to answer.

I did have a couple of calls like that a long time ago, I just told them I never heard of the guy they were looking for, wasn't a relative and they never called back.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a collection agency.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I actually got a letter in the mail telling me that my "Motor Vehicle Protection" had expired. It looked pretty official, EXCEPT.... I don't own a car, LMAO.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I've gotten letters like that too. I have a car. Letter gets tossed in the garbage.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I don't know if this is just me, but this scam sounds amazingly bad to me, I don't see how anyone falls for it.

the IRS calls (red flag right there) a business and tell them that someone hacked and stole their business account and have been charging things to them. to fix it they asked the business man to go to a convenience store and buy 10K worth of google play cards (????), that alone should have set up red flags for the people in the convenience store among others. then to go home call them scammers and give them the numbers off the purchased cards,and the IRS would contact and repay them quickly after they catch these thieves. none of this makes any sense,the man waited for a day and when he did not hear from the IRS, went to the police. I can't believe someone this gullible could run a business. Google play? seriously?