TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 11, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through February 11, 2019 users admin

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, January 11, 2019 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Mack, I also received one of those calls. Caller ID showed a 713 area code, Houston, Tx. Since I didn't answer the phone, it left a voice mail message. The woman was definitely sounded like she was speaking Chinese or a similar language. Needless to say, I didn't return the phone call!
eyeroll

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 11, 2019 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, I just got an email from the BMW Lottery Committee.... I won. Hahahahahahaha, this is a new one for me.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, January 11, 2019 - 11:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Dipo, congrats..... LOL

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I got a weird call this morning. Can't imagine that it wouldn't go into a scam, but little was said before I hung up. I don't have caller I.D.

A pretty normal sounding male voice said he was calling from Singer sewing machine company. (I don't sew.) Then something about because Medicare going is up??? That was just too weird. I hung up.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 7:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
That’s a new one Colordeagua. Singer Sewing Machine Company and MEDICARE is quite a combination. The idea much less fact that people fall for some of these scams never ceases to amaze me. Of course years ago my now deceased mother called me all upset that she gotten a call that her computer was corrupted and she wanted to know what she should do about. I pointed out it wasn’t an issue since she didn’t have a computer or even a tablet like an iPad. 😳😬

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
That is a rather interesting combination, Color. LOL

That is too funny, Mack.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 21, 2019 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I got the usual "you're now eligible for a 0% interest on your charge card" or something like that. Press 1 to speak to. I did. Someone answered Hello . . . . I didn't talk except to ask What's my account number? He hung up.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 21, 2019 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Unless you have call block, now they have your number.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 21, 2019 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Can't block my land line number. Don't have caller I.D.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
New one for me -- Can I talk to (he has my name)? I'm calling from the pharmacy. (With that voice? Sure. ). So I ask -- Who are you? He hung up.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Haven’t had that one Colordeagua. My most recent have been calls saying my doctor has referred me for a pain relieving brace that I qualify for under Medicare. Been a rash of those in the past week along with the typical credit card interest lowering calls.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
be careful when they say press a number,sometimes it switches you to a separate line where you run up huge charges international charges the phone company can not remove the charges.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
YES, the credit card lowering calls. I get those a lot. I press 1. Someone answers and I ask, "What's my account number." "I don't know." "Then how can you . . . ?" You think I'm going to give you my number, (dumb a$$)?!

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Saturday we got four phone calls one right after the other from “Apple Support”. We didn’t answer but their recorded message was long enough that it kept going to our answering machine. The message was something along the lines that our iCloud account had been compromised and they wanted to help us fix it. I finally answered what turned out to be the last of the four. Bottom line was they wanted me to let them take remote control of my computer so they could “fix” whatever the problem was with my iCloud account. Of course never ever never let somebody take remote control of your computer. This smacks of being a version of the MicroSoft scam where they would take control of your machine then demand a payment to release your computer back to you. Refuse and they’d remotely wipe your computer and lock it up so it was useless.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
For a while I was getting calls from "Apple Support". I just hung up pretty quickly. Those stopped a while ago . . . until they start again.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Now that I think back about it I think we’d gotten these before but it was a couple of years ago. Scammers must recycle their scams from time to time. Personally I haven’t gotten the MicroSoft license scam call lately but figure it’ll come back. Also haven’t gotten IRS “we’re going to arrest you for unpaid taxes” scam call lately but they busted the big group doing that one. Expect somebody else will pick it up especially since we’re getting to tax time.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I get those in a 'rush' every once in a while. There will be 4-5 voice mails... then nothing. Never been around to even answer the phone. If I answered, I'd just say that I have Microsoft and am not on the cloud. When the Microsoft ones called, I would say... I have an Apple computer.... it shut them up. I wish people would realize that these are scams. But, so many think they are real.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I got a Facebook message from one of my friends to buy a gift card for her nephew...except that this friend is very poor, rarely travels and would never ask me to do something like that.

And this morning I got an email at work about my bank account being temporary suspended...ummm...don't think Chase would do that to me and tell me about it in an email!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
NoMoRoBo rolls most of these calls into the dryer and the ones that get through, I screen, so I never talk to them. If they actually leave a message, I just delete it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm not "attached" to my cell phone the way the rest of the world is. I rarely use the cell part. NoMoRoBo doesn't work on land lines.

I did get a reduce your credit card interest rate call this morning. I asked for my account number. He rattled off a bunch of number. W.R.O.N.G numbers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Actually am have NoMoRoBo on my land line, not on my cell.

But even without nomorobo, and I let my answering machine do the screening.

I do have call waiting, it even displays on my tv, so I can grab the phone if I know the called, but otherwise I listen as someone leaves a message.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
NoMoRobo free version works ONLY on land lines and works like a charm. I LOVE NoMoRobo. It costs 99 cents a month (may have gone up since I checked) for cell phones.

I was thinking about getting it for my cell phone, since I have been absolutely plagued by scam calls to my cell phone since we have been in Texas for the winter. Last Friday I realllly lost it with whoever was calling me from Boise, ID. I was swearing, I was screaming, I was shouting NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! It was not pretty. I used to get 2-4 calls a day from the number. Blessed silence since wacko-Juju Friday.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Both my land line and cell are AT&T. I very very very rarely get a call on my cell that I would answer. I guess then it's AT&T that doesn't allow NoMoRoBo on land lines.

Are your land lines actually land lines or are they VOIP? Mine is a true land line.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 11, 2019 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I get mine through Spectrum, but it is connected to the actual phone jack.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 12:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Yeah another nomorobo user here, been using it for many many years. when I fill out forms anywhere I never use my cell give them my home phone. I rarely get scam calls on my cell. I think they are random dialing. I have heard the key is not answering the phone when the scammers call is the best choice. If you answer they know it is a working phone.
lately my phones have getting ID that say scam number in the title so I think some phone companies are getting it.