TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through January 09, 2019 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I just hate the waste.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Donate them to a doctor's office?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
When I used to get paper magazines, I would offer them to the patients I drove, and also leave them in waiting rooms. They usually disappeared quickly.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The library might appreciate them as well.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I just gave my friend a free subscription to Reader's Digest.

It was a promotion that when I renewed my subscription I could name a friend to get a free subscription.

I asked her permission before I gave them her address.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Dogdoc that is nice. But I don't even have kids so why would I want SI Kids, didn't even know that exists.

Apparently they get your info from some websites. I knew didn't order it since they had my name wrong.

I have been giving my Peoples to my sister, and I did get a bill that I wrote on "Didn't order, please cancel" and sent back.

But I have been getting the People for a few months, now all of a sudden the SI Kids, I just figured that People screwed up.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Now if the had SIcats... She might take that 😻

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Wow! Got the “grandpa I’m in jail” scam call today. Been maybe a couple years since the last one. I guess scammers recycle old scams thinking people have forgotten or never heard of it. I wanted to play along just to see what the story was but I slipped up and asked him his name and he immediately hung up.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, at least you kept him busy for a little while. I can't help but find myself lecturing these young people.... what would your mother think of you doing this to people like her?? :-)

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Big issue here right now is credit card skimmer devices on self-service gas pumps. They find about one a day right now. The majority seem to be at Valero stations, which around here is the biggest chain and typically has the larger stations, but they’ve found them at a few Shell, Chevron, and Exxon stations. There have been a few found on ATM machines but not many.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I may be paranoid, but I always check every machine before I put my card in.

Not a perfect system, but it's at least an attempt.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
What does one look like and where would it be located?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Most of them are inserted over the existing credit card slot. So I always grab that thing, and see if it will pull out or move. That's a good sign.

Some of the newer ones are harder to detect since they fit inside. So also be sure to shield your pin number entry from as many directions as you can.

There is an app for Android phones that will detect them also, since the newer ones bluetooth the info to the criminals.

Here's an article with some images & tips:
https://mic.com/articles/166615/heres-what-a-credit-or-atm-card-skimmer-looks-like-and-the-one-trick-to-use-to-protect-yourself#.CjSy9Zxv0

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Thank you.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
On top of Karuuna’s very good recommendations we actually went back to using gas company credit cards that are set up for limited amounts and gas purchases only. We have deliberately avoided gas credit cards that are Visa or MasterCard accounts as well as gas cards. They are not tied to our bank or any of our credit cards. They could still get a bit out of but not a huge amount.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I get gas at Sam's Club, which has an attendant and use my Discover Card. No pin.

Discover monitors pretty well (as in they report that my info is not found in the dark web, etc) and I check online to see my purchases.

Don't get cash at an ATM and have never used a debit card. I get cash at Ralph's. My credit union has ATMs but also have friendly human tellers who never cast shade on people who come inside.

Nothing is foolproof but so far, so good.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting article. Thanks for posting that!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Good article!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey - Funny thing about using a debit card. I feel more comfortable using it than writing a check.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I got a rash of computer calls today. None were from the the usual Indians saying your computer is infected . . . . A couple said they were from Apple. That's a first. Couple from your computer maintenance support center. Couple other odd ones.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Niece is receiving lots of scam calls lately (2 today alone) from IRS saying that since she does not return their calls IRS is filing a lawsuit against her for 'fraud'. She must call their phone line (one in NY, the 2nd in ?DE?) Gasp huh?

Naaah, Niece has finished her IRS dealings to pay off a few months ago. Took them about 7 yrs to find her from when the dog grooming shop was taking her tax payments every paycheck, then declaring her an "independent contractor" & not paying.

Niece said:

IRS NEVER contacts by phone, ONLY by mail!

They don't file fraud lawsuits, just FREEZE one's bank acct until you make arrangements.

If one were to go to pay off the fraudsters, they then have your debit/credit card info to boot.

So she did her customary deed. Saving those 2 phone numbers on her phone to forward to the FBI & IRS that a scam was going down. Helpful to them I'm sure.

Still, you gotta worry about senior citizens & less wary people that are scared and more likely scammed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The numbers are usually fake and untraceable. I used to send them in but stopped.

In fact more than one person has gotten scam calls that use their number.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
If I don't already have you in my contact list, your call is being ignored. If you repeat call, and don't leave a message, your number gets blocked. If you leave scam messages, even if my phone blocks your call, you can still leave messages (stupid Sprint). But I will NEVER answer a call from an unfamiliar number. And if you are using those spoofers to my same prefix, I'm on to that scheme as well. Ignored.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I do the same Kona!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 5:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Pretty much the same as Kona. Did answer a “ neighbor spoof” call yesterday as I’ve been looking for somebody to do some repairs around the house. The big surprise was the robocall was I think in Chinese! That was a first. 😳