TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 29, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 29, 2018 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yep, we had cinnamon, sugar toast too, not sure for what meal or as a snack. Nobody ever worried about kids getting fat in those days. I was forced to eat because I was so skinny.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
My mom would use extra pie dough and bake it with butter, cinnamon and sugar too. She was from Nebraska and quite poor growing up. I always thought it was something she had when she was little because they couldn’t afford much.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I too loved the doctored up pie dough.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Yumm for the pie dough. Mom would roll up the dough and make "pin wheels", as we called them. Sadly, I never learned to make pie dough as well as my mom and haven't had them in decades.

Still have the cinnamon toast, though!

Having a sugar attach just thinking about these!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm in Texas and we had both the cinnamon toast and the pie dough. No wasting anything back them!

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I just got an idea to use a store bought pie crust that I need to cook & make those "pin wheels" that Jeep is talking about. Sounds yummy!

Jeep

10-17-2001

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Good idea Texasdeb! Great for the next sugar rush.

I can still see mom rolling out the left over dough, sprinkle sugar & cinnamon on it and rolling it into a log. Then she would cut it into "pin wheels". They didn't last long in our house!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW Q: I want to sell some stock to pay the R/E taxes and my "overpayment" from SS. My problem is that I like all my stocks, and the 2 I was planning to sell have all of a sudden started performing, LOL.

So I am trying to figure out how to decide what to sell. First I looked to see if they all paid dividends and at what percentage, still can't decide.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to approach this problem? Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I always heard that on stocks you should look at the ten year average of performance, not short-term.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh good one, Roxip, I will check that out.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Dipo... while, I am not sure if it applies to your stocks, when I took money out of my mutual funds at TRowe Mutual, they advised me to pull from the uncovered funds, versus the 'covered' funds for tax reasons. It affects the cost basis. As I am not a tax accountant, I would suggest that you talk to your broker about this to see if it applies. Because of this advice, it affected what mutual funds that I pulled the needed funds from for the down payment on my condo.

You can google for more information about what it means.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Unless you are particularly familiar with a company I think predicting performance is pretty much pot luck.

Things you're meant to look at:

. has one stock (or group of very similar stocks) performed so well since you bought it that it is now a large proportion of your total investment? If so and that particular market drops, your portfolio value will drop a lot. You might want to sell a portion of shares in that group to even things out a bit.

. looking back over the past few years has one stock gone up down up down but not really headed anywhere? If so you're not actually getting any return on your investment so maybe it's time to sell.

. is there anything that's at a loss from when you bought it? If so you can sell and you won't pay any tax on the sale.

. is there something that has spiked recently, and it reality is due for a fall? If so, seize those gains now.

. dividends (looks like you've looked at this).

. depending on your age, you might want to scale down on individual investments and move to less risky items like bonds.

Personally I'm steeling myself for a market crash when the Trump/Russia stuff comes out and everything goes into turmoil. If I needed money soon I'd be taking those gains while I can.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone....this is my play fund, not my retirement fund, that is handled by my financial guy. This is just a little account I set up to dabble when my investment club disbanded.

Kitt, I was all ready to sell my Nike and Disney because they had dropped below my initial purchase price and damn if they didn't rally and start going up, LOL.

So I may just have to sell small portions of stocks I like!

Hmmm, I guess some more research is in order.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
sell the ones that dont pay dividends (hopefully you are reinvesting the dividends :-))

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Pamy, the only ones that doesn't pay dividends are Amazon and Facebook and I don't want to get rid of them, they are rising like gangbusters. I was actually surprised when I realized I had so many that were paying dividends, even tho that is what I try to buy.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ahhhh. I do like your idea to sell a few and not all of a company. Disney stock is gold. I had to sell some shares a few years ago to pay off our new roof, I still have about 160 shares and we just got a nice dividend that I always reinvest :-)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
About two months ago I 'bit the bullet' and signed up for Ever^dry to come in and put in a French drain in the basement.

I would get $1,000.00 if they could come at any time. (They did say it would take 2 or 3 months). He said sometimes somebody cancels and he doesn't want an idle crew.

He called last night and the crew came this morning.

The first two guys on the crew toured the basement and made comments like "Look at this". Then the one guy turned to me and said "Believe it or not we have seen worse."

Feeling slightly defeated, I laughed and told them I was going up stairs so I didn't have to hear any more.

The house is brick and was built in 1927. There is moisture everywhere so mold and other contaminants are everywhere.

When the guy came two months ago he told me that he wondered why I wasn't sick. He said that in the Winter, when the furnace is on, all that contamination blows to the upstairs.

What saved me is that I have a boiler with radiators in all the rooms.

I guess this will take two to three days. I wonder how long it takes to get used to a jack hammer!

Fannie, the dog, seems to be holding up pretty well.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, have you ever tried running a dehumidifier in the basement? Everyone I know with a basement keeps them running year round. It makes a huge difference.

I hope this project goes without a hitch and they are done quick.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Grooch. My neighbor has both the French drain and the dehumidifier.

We have the old dungeon-type basements.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I've never lived in a house with a basement...they are pretty much non-existent here in Texas!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We had a great basement in Detroit. In the 50's it was probably at least 40 years old.

One side was remodeled into a game room.

There was a dry bar, a poker table, and a spooky sounding piano when we moved in. Also classic pinup girl pictures on the wall. Wood paneling.

There was a half bath, which gave us a second toilet.

The larger part had drains, furnace, a great pantry, and we had a long long table, washer and dryer, clotheslines.. Mom hung sheets outside in summer, inside in winter.. And a heavy table in the southwest corner which would be the place to shelter if a tornado was to hit.

There was also a chute where one could remove ashes from the fireplace above, and the end of the laundry chute that started on the second floor and had an entry in the main bathroom.

There were those ground level windows, as I remember.

Dogdoc, the noise will soon be a memory, and hopefully you and Fannie will benefit.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, January 26, 2018 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Sea.

This morning I am upstairs and the drilling in the basement stops. I hear a guy says "Oh no, now what do I do".

I couldn't hear the answer, but since there was no call to 'evacuate!' I will just let it be.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 26, 2018 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm hoping he broke the drill and not your house!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Roxip. They just came back from lunch and are hard at work.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, January 29, 2018 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yea! My French drain is all installed.

Peace and quit reigns.

The dog and I are very happy.