TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 25, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 25, 2011 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson. It was a quick, okay read. It had it's sweet moments but really kind of far-fetched. What 3 men would really wait until the actual wedding to know if they were the groom or not?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well... there was Mamma Mia

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I picked up 5 books yesterday from the library: The Forever Queen, Lady MacBeth, The Stone Garden, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, and I Still Dream Of You............

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
LOL Sea but they weren't there for a wedding with the mom, they were there for the daughter's wedding. In this book, it's the widowed mom who has 3 men ask her to marry them and she will tell them the day of the wedding, which happens to be Christmas.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
True, but none of them thought they'd end up getting married and they all ended up with "prospects" and one did get married.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Heckagirl. Glad you enjoyed it.

I just finished another of my 10 cent thrift store books, Embraced By The Light by Betty J Eadie. It was what I expected.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Le Freak" by Nile Rodgers. I'd give this a strong recommendation for music fans - it's amazing the things he has accomplished in his career, particularly coming from a family of junkies. The first third of the book details growing up in this environment, the second third with his development as a musician, and the final third grapples with his own addictions, his work as a producer and the loss of his musical partner, Bernard Edwards. The man is an incredible talent and an unbelievable survivor - he is currently battling an aggressive case of prostate cancer. I hope the music industry can do a little better than it has in the past with recognizing his contributions to the music of the last half of the 20th century. He really has no peers. There is no one else like him.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Barefoot Sisters: Southbound and immediately bought Barefoot Sisters Walking Home.

In the first they took the Appalachain Trail southbound from Maine to Georgia and then they decided to yoyo and walk back to Maine.

I just wasn't ready to leave the trail ;)

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Reading/listening to Tom Perrotta's book The Leftovers. I find his work interesting. This one is about a rapture-type event that just takes place, but is less about that than about those who were left on an earth where all else is "normal" and life goes on. Interesting premise and I enjoy seeing how he thinks people would react. My book would be different, I think. And I think that is why I like him as an author....generally I want to re-write his books from my own point of view. I haven't felt that way about many authors whose work I appreciate! Not sure I would like mine better, but I would like my mind to go there a while. He'd be on the list of authors I would like to have dinner with (lol....come to think of it, I would probably enjoy dinner with most authors. I do love storytellers!)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, December 12, 2011 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished both The Stone Garden and The Girl who Chased the Moon this weekend. Both I liked. I like how Sarah Addison Allen has an element of magic in each book, but makes it completely believable.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Started The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I am intrigued! Also reading Wicked Appetite by Janet E. - do not like this as much as Stephanie Plum.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So I finished the second Barefoot Sisters book and really hated leaving the Appalachian Trail.. this is my third book lately about through hikes but finally have started the new Stephen King book!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished a couple of books. First was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Wonderful, sad, touching book about the tapes a teenage girl leaves behind in the event of her suicide and it follows a boy who is one of the reasons on one of the tapes, as he listens to them.

Second was Your Oasis on Flame Lake by Lorna Landvik. A welcome escape book after all the emotions the first book left me with.

I'm not sure what I'm going to choose now. Eeny meeny miney moe....

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I just read a group of books - too loosely connected to really be called a series at least to my mind - about women in prerevolutionary America. They are by Sarah Gunning.

In "The Widow's War," we meet a newly widowed woman who fights to keep her autonomy in a time when a widow was expected to go and live with one of her children. The son or SIL would take control of all of her property and distate her life.

In "Bound" - the second book - an indentured servant runs away after being raped by her master. She is rescued by and ends up working for the widow.

In the third book, " Sarah ???'s Rebellion," the heroine is the widow's granddaughter.

Quite a fascinating look at an historical period from very personal viewpoints!!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Correction: Author's name is SALLY Gunning. Gransdaughter's name is sarah -

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Is this pretty heavy Tritanfan? Or is it pretty easily read? Any humor or light heartedness? I need to go to half price books,I sit in model homes and sometimes no one comes in for hours. Im desperate for reading material.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
In other words. I know rape isnt lighthearted but are there any moments in the book that are light hearted or is it all sort of depressing.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
None of the books were depressing in any way! They are well written and moved along quickly for me.

If you like light-hearted, fun reads, have you read the Evanovich series? She also has a number of "romance" novels that are entertaining -

I will try to think of some more for you as well - do you like "cozy" mysteries? I can hook you up with half a dozen writers for those -

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished Lady MacBeth. No real excitement or drama in it, but maybe because we already knew the story. It paints Gruadh in a different light, not as murderous or scheming, and not unlike any other person of nobility of that time.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading One Call Away by Brenda Warner, wife of ex-QB Kurt Warner. It is her life story but also that life can change with just one phone call and that God is always one call away.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Stars of David by Abigail Pogrebin http://www.amazon.com/Stars-David-Prominent-About-Jewish/dp/0767916123

Got it as a Chanukkah prezzie from my Irish Catholic galpal. :-)

Sixty-two of the most accomplished Jews in America speak intimately—most for the first time—about how they feel about being Jewish. In unusually candid interviews conducted by former 60 Minutes producer Abigail Pogrebin, celebrities ranging from Sarah Jessica Parker to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, from Larry King to Mike Nichols, reveal how resonant, crucial or incidental being Jewish is in their lives. The connections they have to their Jewish heritage range from hours in synagogue to bagels and lox; but every person speaks to the weight and pride of their Jewish history, the burdens and pleasures of observance, the moments they’ve felt most Jewish (or not). This book of vivid, personal conversations uncovers how being Jewish fits into a public life, and also how the author’s evolving religious identity was changed by what she heard.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, December 23, 2011 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sounds very powerful Mame!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It does, doesn't it, TNT? :-) I am REALLY looking forward to reading it!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Okay, so I said to DH, 'Here are the 5 books on my wishlist... if I get any one of these I'll be thrilled'. WELL HE BOUGHT ALL 5 AND I'M OVER THE MOON WITH SURPRISE & DELIGHT!

Carrie Fisher - Shockaholic
Diane Keaton - Then Again
John Lithgow - Drama
Judi Dench - And Furthermore
James Garner - The Garner Files

... and this is me, doing the happy dance...

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've read the Fisher and Keaton books and have the Lithgow and Garner books on my TBR pile.

I got $75 in B&N gift cards. Book shopping :-)