TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 07, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 07, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Mockingjay, thanks to Teach!!

Now reading a Kindle Single by John Sandford, The Sum of My Parts, about his cancer.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Cable - I did an online search, and I can't even get a CD version of on our side of the state - that must mean it is REALLY good. :-) I'll just do an interlibrary loan for the CDs - hopefully they'll come before school starts.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Nora Roberts- The Search. Her stories are so good and it's been a while since I've read her stuff and I am enjoying it to the max.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Just found out you can put your Nook Library unto your iPad and also your Kobo Library. I already did it. Just go to iTunes and get the Nook app. free.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
When We Were Friends by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

Buba1113

07-20-2009

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buba1113 a private message Print Post    
The Help is the best book I have read in a while. Also the new one by Marcia Clark is very good and a worthwhile read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Kindle Single and now starting Church of Lies by Flora Jessop (who has been appearing on Dr Drew lately to speak about the ongoing trial of Warren Jeffs.. Flora was born into the cult city of Colorado City, Arizona..

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Finished The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory and Night Road by Kristin Hannah over the weekend.

The Red Queen was not a good book. I hated the main character, who was a selfish, self indulging, bit*h.

Night Road was good, but a touch far-fetched for my believing. Without giving away the ending, I don't see how it would ever work out in the end in such a small town, with such deep wounds, and I didn't buy the behavior of the little girl at ALL. I also really disliked on of the main characters by the end of the book and she never redeemed herself, IMO.

Going to read the Paris wife tonight. Has anyone read that yet?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have The Paris Wife but haven't read it yet.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I read the first 100 pages or so, but it was BOOOORRRRRIIIIINGG, so I took it back to the library and picked up another Kristin Hannah book for a fast read. I am liking her more and more.

I think I am pretty much done with Phillipa Gregory for a while.

I love historical fiction, but need some suggestions on authors along the lines of Gregory, but without all the boring sh*t. The Red Queen was awful, not good like the Constant Princess or The Other Boleyn Girl. I also tried to read Wideacre. I wish I would have read reviews first, because I couldn't finish it. So gross.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think I have The Red Queen on my TBR pile, that or The White Queen.

I am reading Men and Dogs by Katie Crouch and thoroughly enjoying it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Men and Dogs and really enjoyed it.

I am now reading Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. I'm liking it so far.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I finished Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah last night and started The Memory Keeper's Daughter. It's already sad.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Shack by William P. Young. I am at the middle of the book and not sure if I like it or not. It reminds me a bit of another book I read. I don't remember the title of that, but the main character had dinner and conversation with God.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Mak, I didn't like it. It reminded me of something by Mitch Albom, only not as good.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I am currently reading "The Dive from Claussen's Pier" by Ann Packer. I am absolutely loving this book. It's one of the best reads I've had in a while. I highly reccommend it. It says on the back that it was the first selection of Good Morning America's Book club, and it won a couple of awards.

I can't seem to put it down. It's very emotionally engaging, and well written to boot. I would love to have been able to discuss it in a book club setting. The question is, "Just how much do we owe someone we love." It really gives one pause to think about it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Mary, I read that when it first came out. It's very good. I have her newest book, State of Wonder on my shelf. It's a book of short stories.

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher.

Just finished Child of Fire and Game of Changes by Harry Connolly, which are very similar to Butcher's Dresden series.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked The Memory Keeper's Daughter and The Dive From Clausen's Pier.. read them quite some time ago.

I'm immersing back into learning more abut FLDS, though I had read a bunch a few years back.

So. Finished Flora Jessop's Church of Lies and now reading Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints by Sam Brower (a privite investigator who cracked open the case that led to the arrest of Warren Jeffs).

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
For a quick (but spooky/Gothic) "beach read," I recommend a book I just read, called The Silent Land, by Graham Joyce.

It's about a husband and wife who are buried by an avalanche while skiing, and the aftermath.

I thought I saw the ending coming, but I didn't ...

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer, that sounds intriguing.

I finished Sing You Home and even though it followed her same formula from every other book, I enjoyed it. I was touched by the ending.

I am now reading Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward. I've loved every one of her books and so far, this is no exception.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I agree with your assessment of The Shack. I was glad to have it come to an end.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was lucky and looked into The Shack and never bought it..

Sing You Home sounds good but way overpriced for Kindle so I'll wait.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I got it for a quarter, so at least I didn't waste good money on it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yep a quarter makes it worth a try!

I know I just love some of the free books on Kindle. And some, not so much but nothing wasted.