TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 07, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through September 07, 2023 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 10, 2023 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I listened to the book Evvie Drake Starts Over in just 2 days. It completely drew me in! I've also finished Val McDermid's duobook Crack Down & Clean Break - always enjoy her books & characters. Finished Pineapple Street, Little Faith, and Flamer and would recommend each one!

I'm back to listening to the Gabaldon book, just started Still Life by Louise Penny, and have Allende's book The Wind Knows My Name waiting for me. It's tech week/hell week for the musical this week - four performances in 3 days this coming weekend, and then my reading time comes back!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Today I finished The Measure by Nikki Erlick. I hated to see it end. It is really good and thought-provoking! Imagine a box has been delivered to you with a cryptic message. You learn that if you open it, you will find a string. The string will tell you how much time you have left to live. Would you open it? In addition to all the intriguing questions raised, the characters were well developed and had interesting stories. You should read it if you haven't already.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mak. I just placed the audio version on Hold at my library.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, Eggie.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 24, 2023 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I just finished an ebook by Colleen Hoover called "Verity". It was better than the other book I read by her. Quite a bit better actually.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 27, 2023 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hecka - I'd only read a couple of Hoover books but when I read Verity I was blown away. It was so different from her others, and I really enjoyed it!

Mack - putting that on my list!

Let's see - finished MOBY, listened to Less is Lost (the sequel to Less), and am now listening to Poster Girl and only a couple hours from finishing it. It is extremely good!

Finished Still Life and Exiles on Kindle and am now reading Solito.

The Allende book is due back on Saturday to the library when I work, and it will go back. I've got at least 20 books on Kindle to read and another 5 coming through Libby, so I'm not going to be reading many deadtree books unless they're interlibrary ones I can only get off Kindle.

As always: TOO MANY BOOKS, too many hours I have to work the danged day job and can't read! LOL

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 28, 2023 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Hecka, I am not a Hoover fan but I loved Verity. My sister's book club just read it and the gal who ran the discussion outdid herself. They had to enter through her window even!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, July 28, 2023 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Yes, apparently there are a lot of fans of the book, Verity. There are discussion groups on Facebook and even a bonus chapter. We all don't know what to think. I did like it. Most of the books I've looked up on Libby, I have to put holds on. So far the only one I've gotten was Steven Tyler's memoir, Does the Noise in my Head Bother You? It was okay. Too much swearing.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, August 01, 2023 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished, "Nine Perfect Strangers" by Liane Moriarty. It was very good. I'm torn whether or not I want to watch the tv series.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, August 08, 2023 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I am going to have go with a negative on Verity. I wish there had been some kind of warning as to the disturbing nature of it. I had just been complaining about a movie with constant fight scenes for the first 40 minutes which to me is a lazy way around not having much of a story to tell and then I read this book and it's basically sex scene after sex scene with a dose of child abuse thrown in. In the end, the book made my skin crawl and not as a thriller.

I need to go read some Liane Moriarty, lol!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 09, 2023 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tom Lake by Ann Patchett is wonderful! I love her slow way of telling a story so you get all the nuances and all the emotions from the characters. I was quietly content through the whole book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 13, 2023 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
On audio I've finished listening to The Parihaka Woman, and Written in My Own Heart's Blood and am currently listening to Paper Cup by Karen Campbell. It is a compelling look at an addict's life - not at all maudlin.

On Kindle I've read Yellowface and Hello Stranger, got another 15% through Solito and now have The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh from Libby. Solito hits so close to home that breaking it up is actually making it easier. So many of my students and friends have dealt with that type of trip, that it breaks my heart as I read, even though it also is not at all a maudlin book.

I do have 2 deadtree interlibrary loan books, but as I'm starting a new job in the Courthouse in 8 days (and going in early this week to train), I'll be lucky to get even one of them read! šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜‚

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, August 15, 2023 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine." Really good. Read Reese Witherspoon is planning to make a movie of it. Author is Gail Honeyman.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 16, 2023 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I love Lisa Jewell's books (Ric can concur) but her latest book, None Of This is True is definitely one of her best! So many twists and that wonderful creepy feeling throughout just make it a perfect thriller/mystery.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, August 16, 2023 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just started that one on audible, Mamie. Glad to hear your review. :-)

I forgot I have that one, Hecka. Iā€™m moving it up on my TBR list. :-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, August 24, 2023 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I seem to be on a streak of not enjoying books that everyone else does, lol. I just finished The Librarianist by Patrick deWitt which has received lots of great reviews. I loved the beginning and laughed out loud at the end but didn't care much for the rest of it. I know where and when the story was alledgedly set and yet the dialogue constantly felt off.

I'm off to try The Dog of the North by Elizabeth McKenzie for a light read.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, August 24, 2023 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I've been waiting for another book from the author, Gail Honeyman, however there is nothing as yet. Supposedly her 2nd book will be released in September 2024 or February 2025. I'm impatient.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, August 26, 2023 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finally finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. It was good, but it's part of a trilogy. I'm not going to read the next two books yet. I want to read something lighter. I saw a tv show based on The Passage a couple of years ago. It only seemed to be based on about the first third of the book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 26, 2023 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Hecka, I love that Trilogy! I had to wait for each book to be published so taking a break won't really make a difference.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, August 27, 2023 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Did you see the tv show? It was good, too. Why I read the first book in the first place. Reading Anne of Green Gables now. Light and completely different!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 28, 2023 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I did see the show and enjoyed it. I was sorry it ended because I wanted to see how they would play it all out.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, August 30, 2023 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. It's considered a classic but I had never read it. It was perfectly lovely as Anne would say.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, September 04, 2023 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Read an ebook biography on Robin Williams. It was good, but sad.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 04, 2023 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Since starting the new job, I've done most of my "reading" on audible. After finishing Paper Cup, I've listened to All American Boys, Warrior Girl Unearthed, Remarkably Bright Creatures, How Y'All Doing? (Leslie Jordan) and am currently listening to The Sympathizer. I enjoyed every single one, and Leslie Jordan's memoir was a perfect light read/listen for my first week on a new job.

On Kindle I've finished The Love of My Life and also read Before the Coffee Gets Cold. Both of them were unique and interesting. I'm almost 70% through Solito, so I'll finish it before I start a new Kindle read.

I was right - I did NOT read the 2 deadtree interlibrary loan books, but I do have another now that I fully intend to read as 1. it is a banned book and 2. it's a YA book and a fast read: Melissa.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, September 07, 2023 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished an ebook, Just the Nicest Couple, by Mary Kubica. It was pretty good. Had a couple of twists. I'm almost finished with another Dollar General book, Huckleberry Lake. It's pretty sweet. I'll probably finish it in the next day or two.