TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 10, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through July 10, 2023 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, May 03, 2023 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Recently finished "The Therapist" by B.A. Paris. It was pretty good. It was described as a "Whodunit Domestic Thriller" on the cover.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "The House Witch" by Delemhach. It was good. I read it on my Prime account with Amazon. It came up as Kindle on my computer.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Ferryman by Justin Cronin. If you want a story that blows your mind and makes you ask is going on, this is the one for you! I love his writing and this did not let me down. No vampires this go-round but a mix of sci-fi, dystopia, love, anger, joy, sorrow. So good.

I just started Tom Hanks' new one and liking it right away.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 27, 2023 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
What's the name of the Tom Hanks' book? I would like to try it.

Just finished, "The Light on Farallon Island" by Jen Wheeler. It was good. Read it on Prime, I think.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, May 28, 2023 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hecka:
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece: A novel - by Tom Hanks. I haven't read it yet.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 28, 2023 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Thanks! I'll look for it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, May 29, 2023 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sorry Hecka, I should have written the title. Thanks Mame. It is a very slow moving novel but I am learning a ton about the movie business.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 07, 2023 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I haven't found the Tom Hanks book yet. I finished The Bourne Retribution by Eric Van Lustbader. It was a typical Bourne book, I think. I have never read any other Bourne books or seen the movies, but I could see it. Interestingly, Robert Ludlum wrote the early Jason Bourne books, but he died in March 2001, so the ones since then were written by Van Lustbader.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, June 15, 2023 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished another Dollar General book, "The Secrets of Paradise Bay" by Devon Vaughn Archer. It was pretty good for a romance. Was not your typical romance and most of the people in it were African-American.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. It was really good.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, it was good and the movie did it justice too.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Recently I've read "Songs in Ursa Major" by Emma Brodie, a novel inspired by the love affair between Joni Mitchell and James Taylor. I loved it. It's set in the music world of 1969 with all its ups and downs.

"The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane" by Lisa See was very well researched and beautifully written. There was one scene in the beginning chapters that completely shocked and horrified me. I put the book down and emailed the friend who had recommended the book. She had had the same reaction to that scene and reassured me that it wouldn't be repeated even though it may seem like it was going to be. I was later glad that she had given me that reassurance! I am glad I finished the book as it was such a wonderful story despite the sad parts.

"Talk Before Sleep" by Elizabeth Berg was heartbreakingly beautiful, comparable to "Beaches" in the love and support of the core group of women supporting their friend who has terminal cancer.

"Fairy Tale" by Stephen King didn't hold my interest so I didn't finish it.

"Northeaster: A Story of Courage and Survival in the Blizzard of 1952" by Cathie Pelletier has local (New England) appeal and would be interesting to anyone who likes natural disaster survivor stories. She spent years interviewing experts, survivors and relatives of others who were involved.

I read an older short book, "Before the coffee gets cold" by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. It was a fun read involving time travel to the past, with some twists. I enjoyed it but not enough to read the other books in the series.

Now I'm reading "The Perfect Murder" by Jack Hitt with Lawrence Block, Sarah Caudwell, Tony Hillerman, Peter Lovesey and Donald E. Westlake. It was published in 1991 and I picked it up at a book sale. It's intriguing. The main character writes to these famous murder mystery authors to seek their advice on plotting the perfect murder. The story is told in a series of letters between him and the five authors. Each gave him a plot and I'm at the part where he is deciding which plot, or parts of plots, to use to murder his wife and to make sure her lover is blamed for it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Trying to catch up here, and can I just say you all are making my TBR list get longer and longer! :-)

I've finished the following:
AUDIOBOOKS - The Firekeeper's Daughter (AMAZING!) and Girl, Woman, Other - I'd started this on Kindle almost 2 years ago, so audiobook was definitely the way to go! I did like it, it just wasn't working for me as an evening read.

KINDLE - Life's Too Short, Demon Copperhead (AMAZING!!!), Salt Lane (HATED the ending), Paris Daillencourt is about to Crumble (wanted to shake him by the end), and Dead Beat & Kick Back (a double-book by Val McDermid).

DEADTREE BOOKS - slower going, but I did finish Nickel Boys (GOOD but also horrifying b/c it's based on a true story), and The Country Without A Post Office - I feel like I should take a class about the Kashmir region and THEN re-read these poems so I could better interpret them.

Current reads include:
Little Faith: A Novel on Audiobook (finished Echo in the Bone and started in with Written in my Own Heart's Blood since they said some of book 8 will be in Season 7 for Outlander - but since it's a reread, I'm putting it to the side for Little Faith)

Pineapple Street on Kindle - only a few pages in but loving it

Flamer as a deadtree book - only way to read a graphic novel, and this one is being read so I can say I've read all the top banned books of 2022. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, June 29, 2023 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Apples Don't Fall"by Liane Moriarty. It was pretty good. I have read Fairy Tale by Stephen King not too long ago. I thought it was pretty good, too. I put a hold on a book by Steve Tyler. It's not available yet.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 30, 2023 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
And the book by Steven Tyler popped up today but said there's a problem with getting it to me. Oh no! Hope I get to listen to it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, June 30, 2023 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
No problem. It came up the second time. It's an audiobook. If you don't like swearing, you would be offended.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Tuesday, July 04, 2023 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
I’m around half way through Oryx & Crake by: Margaret Atwood, it’s one of the books I have to read for my AP English Literature 12 Summer assignment. 😅 Lots of witty quotes in the book.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, July 05, 2023 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Love all the good honest reviews that people post here. They’re both entertaining and helpful.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 12:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Vancouvergirl, it is so freakishly wonderful to have you here posting on adult topics, when at least Mameblanche, probably others, and I first met you as a baby in a perambulator in a restaurant near English Bay in Vancouver however many years old you are plus about 8-9 months. Thanks for hanging with us.

Oops, topic - I am on a cruise ship in Alaska right now and found out a couple days ago that they still have a paperback book exchange AND still have a library (cruise lines are doing away with them). I found a Liane Moriarty book I had not yet read - truly madly guilty. I have been so busy I have only read a couple pages, but will get to it soon.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Haha thanks Juju2bigdog. Sounds like a cool cruise!

Just finished reading Star Trek: Reunion yesterday and also recently wrapped Star Trek: The Battle of Betazed.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Riley Sager's new book The Only One Left is really good. I think his best yet.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mamie! I just nabbed it.

I thought Riley was a woman. Lol

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Just reading the synopsis of that book by Riley Sager scares me, lol! But I'm still going to add it to my list. :0)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 07, 2023 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I did too! LOL

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 10, 2023 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "It Ends With Us" by Colleen Hoover. Kind of different. She based it on her real life. It was okay.