TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 28, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through March 28, 2021 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Ric, that is absolutely wonderful! šŸ’ž

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks Rieann! I was very surprised, but thrilled, too. And I just figured out that the Bijould whoā€™s been liking some of my recent tweets is you, my dear ā€” thank you!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Haha. Youā€™re welcome. Iā€™ve been enjoying your spelling bee challenge. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thatā€™s right! Thank you for tolerating all of that madness. Can you tell that when I get a ā€œbeeā€ in my bonnet, itā€™s almost impossible for me to rest until Iā€™ve conquered it. Itā€™s all that Josh Charlesā€™s fault (love him!), but if I hadnā€™t noticed him tweeting about it, I never wouldā€™ve known the SB existed! Now Iā€™m an obsessed wacko. Iā€™ve really lost a lot of valuable reading time because of all the hours I devote to playing it. Iā€™ll have to check into SB rehab soon! šŸ˜‚

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 14, 2021 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
But you are our obsessed wacko, Ric, and we love you.

That is such a great tweet back from Mr. Boyne!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 14, 2021 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Awesome Ric! What a thrill for you. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, February 14, 2021 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Awww, now donā€™t make cry now (you know how easily I cry)! šŸ˜‚. Thank you both - I love you all, too! Happy Valentinoā€™s Day! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, February 14, 2021 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Itā€™s hard to imagine a much more special feeling than knowing youā€™ve made an author whose writing you love, feel good about what theyā€™ve done.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 15, 2021 - 2:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I couldnā€™t agree more, Jim!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, February 16, 2021 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Ric, now I am hooked on Spelling Bee. Today is my third day playing and I hate todayā€™s letters. Argh! Lol

I keep forgetting you can use letters more than once.

Sorry for mini hijack of reading thread.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, February 16, 2021 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh no! I know the feeling. Letā€™s hope we get it out of our systems soon! I miss reading! šŸ˜°šŸ˜°šŸ˜°

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 04, 2021 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
What is this Spelling Bee I read of? Do you know I won a real one when I was in third grade over the whole school (including 5th graders) and went on to a local district bee. Lost, alas.

Finished another Nora Roberts book that could've been a stand alone book, though it was part of a trilogy. Key of Knowledge. It was okay.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, March 04, 2021 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I just finished An Echo in the Bone which is the 7th book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

Approximately 1,400 pages. Quite a few reviewers seemed bothered that she branched out more and didn't focus as much on the two main characters and spent time on their family instead. I actually enjoyed it more for that reason.

Once again, another reason I enjoy these novels is her focus on the mundane aspects of life in the late 1700's.

I also admire her bravery in having two main romantic characters who are getting up in years and still enjoy each other's company (if you know what I mean).

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, March 06, 2021 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yikes! ā€” thatā€™s a lotta pages. Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it ā€” itā€™s always nice when a book that long doesnā€™t disappoint!

Heckagirl, the Spelling Bee is an online game offered within the stable of games at the New York Times website. Created by the same folks who manage the NYT daily crossword puzzles, it premiered in 2018 and has become wildly popular.

Thereā€™s a fee (something like $5.99 per month). Thereā€™s a new Spelling Bee every day. You start with a ā€œbeehiveā€ of 7 letters. One of those 7 letters remains locked in the center of the Hive. From that base, you start trying to spell as many words as possible, but each word you spell *must* contain the letter locked in the Hiveā€™s center. Each word you spell must be at least 4 letters long. A 4-letter word is worth 4 points, a 5-letter word is worth 5 points and so on. A typical game has 4, 5, 6 and 7-letter words as well as 8, 9 and 10-letter words, but these latter three word-lengths are limited to just one or two words, whereas there can be 20 to 25 four-letter words (because theyā€™re much more common).

A typical game can require you to spell 25-to-30 total words, but on a different day you may have to spell 55-to-60 words. The words of each game are pre-determined. As you start spelling each word, the game validates the word youā€™ve spelled and also tells you if the word you have spelled is not one of the pre-determined words. The object is to spell as many words as possible. The game ranks your expertise as you move along. If you only spell 2 or 3 words in a game, then youā€™re a ā€œbeginnerā€ ā€” if you spell over 90% of that dayā€™s words, then youā€™re ranked a ā€œgeniusā€ ā€” and if you spell 100% of the words in one Gand, then youā€™re a ā€œQueen Beeā€ which is the climbing-to-the-top-of-Mount-Everest equivalent. Iā€™ve gotten two Queen Bees since I started playing last month and Mamie told she had nailed a few QBs herself when she used to play. Itā€™s an extremely addictive game, mostly because you get consumed with trying to spell all the words to get to QB status. Thereā€™s a new game every day, so you essentially have 24 hours to find/spell each dayā€™s total words.

Be forewarnedā€” playing the game robs you if valuable book-reading time! šŸ˜°šŸ˜°šŸ˜°

P.S. Belated congratulations on winning your Spelling Bee! šŸŽ‰

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, March 07, 2021 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the information. Thanks for the congrats too. I still remember one of the 5th graders saying he couldn't believe that little 3rd grader beat him.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendations of The Midnight Library which I enjoyed. Also finished The Overstory beautifully written novel about trees and people who love and study them. I can see why the author received the Pulitzer Prize for it.

Now onto another Liane Moriarity novel, The Husband's Secret this time.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 19, 2021 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yoo-hoo, Uncle-ricky, I need a new book or author, please.

I have 1 unread Steve Cavanagh and am finding a couple of Linwood Barclay that interest me and then...? I believe you suggested both of these authors and I have enjoyed reading them. Any ideas?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, March 19, 2021 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I know I'm not Uncle Ricky but can I jump in, lol? Have you read Liane Moriarty? Big Little Lies and What Alice Forgot were two good ones. Kristin Hannah is another good one. I enjoyed The Nightingale and am now waiting for two of her other books from the library.

I finally got around to reading The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg and really enjoyed it. It was a great introduction (for me at least) as to what the members of WASP went through.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 19, 2021 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes, thank you, I appreciate all input.

I haven't read Liane Moriaty but have seen some of the movie adaptations of her work. I think I have read some Kristin Hannah but don't recall which books.

I have liked almost all of Fannie Flagg's work.

I learned that Lorna Landvik wrote a sequel to Patty Jane's House of Curl called Once in a Blue Moon Lodge. I'm surprised I missed it as it is a few years old. I requested it from the library today.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, March 19, 2021 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Totally endorse Liane Moriarty ā€” Iā€™ve read every one of her books ā€” scrumptious! ā€” all of them!

That wicked NYT Spelling Bee has me *completely* under its spell. I havenā€™t even reported the last two books I finished reading because I canā€™t remember what they were at the moment. šŸ˜°šŸ˜°šŸ˜°. I got my first Covid-19 vaccine shot earlier today so Iā€™m taking it easy tonight. Iā€™ll post my reviews of those two books after I consult Goodreads to refresh my memory!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, March 19, 2021 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Walk AWAY from the spelling bee, Uncle Ricky. Do not get yourself vaporized in a syzygy.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I found Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata to be an offbeat but enjoyable read, however, her new book, Earthlings was just a bad book. I had hope for it at the start but it just got weirder and weirder. I did not care for it at all, along the lines of, bummer a couple hours of my life wasted.

Books I did enjoy so far this month are:
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Fifty Fifty by Steve Cavanagh
The Liar by Seve Cavanagh

A "meh" rating for
Love Your Life by Sophie Kinsella.

I started Little Bookshop of Murder by Maggie Blackburn and it is not a good read so far. I have mentioned my astonishment of bad editing over the last year or so and this book may take the prize. Poor grammar and punctuation, using the wrong character's name, stopping sentences mid phrase and then a 2 or 3 word sentence that should have been part of the first bit to form a complete sentence and spelling the name of the town differently. Rather shoddy work in my view.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished Little Bookshop of Murder, it was a sorry excuse of a book. The poor editing continued, it was not well written and the murderer was obvious from the start.

I am generally quite fond of books set in book shops or libraries. I'm a bit miffed that such a great location was marred by such crappy writing.

Perhaps my next read, Then We Come to the End by Joshua Ferris will be enjoyable.

Ocean_islands

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 21, 2021 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ocean_islands a private message Print Post    
I just finished "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys, an unusual tale imagined as the life of the first wife of the character Rochester from "Jane Eyre". It's been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time, but the time was right . . .

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 28, 2021 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've finished (FINALLY)The Midnight Library and Anxious People. Both were completely delightful (though the first was a bit heavy-handed at the end).

On audiobook I also finished Allende's In the Midst of Winter. Rather intriguing storyline.

Working on finishing up Shuggie Bain that I started months ago. It is really good, but it takes emotional investment that I simply don't have during the school year. Now that spring break is here, I've got a million things to do because state testing is still fully in swing, but I'm determined to finish this gem.

Current audiobook is Sword of Destiny of the Witcher series and new Kindle book is Girl, Woman, Other. I'm also a couple of chapters into Conundrum by Jan Morris for CB_BookClub (Caitriona Balfe's online book club).