TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 27, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 27, 2020 users admin

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
For all of us book lovers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/
books/readers-stuck-at-home-need-books--and-community-heres-how-to-access-them/2020/03/20/4fe14f70-6adb-11ea-b313-df458622c2cc_story.html

Juju, before I had a smartphone, a friend of mine had to show off that she could read Outlander on her iPhone. I was a bit envious as she scrolled through it. It is doable but I'll stick with my Fire HD8. Sounds like you had a fun trip!

Thanks for the Bookgorilla suggestion Sea. I'm not familiar with that and will check it out.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is like Bookbub. You can set some parameters and get emails with free of on sale books. I just get more hits from gorilla and books often appear in both emails.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Bookperk has a daily discount email too.

Amazon will send one every day as well.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
My new Chromebook died.

That is where my spreadsheet of books read so far this year was kept. I think I had read about 20 so far, very disappointed in yes, I know, 1st world problem way.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 11:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sugar! I'm so sorry you lost your data. But you brightened my evening by commenting in the Daily Poll thread that you liked "Falcon Crest" too (I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers it!).

I finally got around to reading She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey. Knowing that it was a must-read, and having read Ronan Farrow's book, I had to let some time pass after finishing the Farrow book to get into She Said. It's much shorter but just as good as Farrow's. Knowing that Kantor and Twohey helped put that Weinstein monstrosity behind bars made the experience that much more satisfying.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 12:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you Uncle_ricky. Yes, Angela Channing was quite the Grande Dame.

If I remember correctly, you were one of the people who had recommended, Educated by Tara Westover. I don't read much non fiction, however, I read this last weekend. It seems odd to say I enjoyed it as the author had an abusive upbringing and an enabling life. Perhaps it is best to say I found it fascinating and strangely mesmerizing. It struck me as brutally honest and oddly compassionate.

Despite having dozens of books on my Kindle, I really miss the library. It has been closed for a week or two and we are now sheltering in place. I much prefer holding a real book. I rather long for my days as a bookstore manager when I had all the new books at my fingertips.

I hope everyone is feeling well and able to read some good books during this crazy time.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I may be fantasizing, but bookstore manager sounds like a pretty nice job to me! :-)

I love eBooks for their convenience, adjustable text and the light weight of the reading device, but I agree that there is something tangible and special about "real" paper books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sugar..

https://tarawestover.com/media

Tara is as you describe.

I really like her interview with Karamo Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnd6S2JCeUE

Oprah did her usual reading parts of the book, but with Karamo, it was an actual dialog.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you Seamonkey.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sugar - Another good way to keep track of the books you've read is at goodreads.com. You can even challenge yourself to read a certain number of books per year and it'll show you if you're on track or not.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Never have I been more grateful for my nook e-reader than during this shutdown.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kappy. I have been meaning to join Goodreads.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed Wild and wonder if I ever could have had enough courage to undertake a challenge like that one.

Next up is Michelle Obama's Becoming.

Some Kindles and Fire Tablets are on sale today--great prices!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, March 30, 2020 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks to Sugar for mentioning Elizabeth Berg, an unknown author to me. I just finished The Story of Arthur Truluv and found it a delightful read. It's a good reminder of what we all strive to be as humans. The main character is an elderly man named Arthur who strives to find the good in others, a talent we could all use.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, March 30, 2020 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am glad you enjoyed it Kappy. I think of books like that as gems, a precious or semiprecious read. I will be glad when the library reopens and I can read the 3rd of the series, The Confession Club.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Fleishman is in Trouble - I really liked parts of it but it was a rough one to finish in these days of quarantine. I'm finishing up listening to another re-read of The Fiery Cross and in the middle of Things in Jars and Three Wishes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I love Elisabeth Berg!

And have read that particular book, lots of others.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 11:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Teach, I loved FIIT and I agree there were challenging aspects to it. Brodesser-Akner has a great future now that she has this smashing debut under her belt.

Speaking of smashing debuts, tonight I finally finished Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Set in a rough section of Glasgow, circa 1982 to 1991, the title character is the precocious young (pre-teen) son of a viciously troubled alcoholic mother who is devoted to her through all her traumatic patches (and there are a lot of them). It's very, very sad but also very compelling - the writer based it on his own relationship with his mother. It can't've been an easy book to write.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Kiss of the She-Devil" by M. William Phelps. It's not my usual style of book at all-- a true crime story. I think the only other one I've ever read was about Ted Bundy, many years ago. It was okay.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Uncle_Ricky - was it you who recommended On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous? Almost done, and it is giving me the same touch my soul impression that A Little Life did, and I KNOW you recommended that one to me.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I received my repaired Chromebook back and my book spreadsheet was still there! Huzzah!!

I haven't been reading as much since the library has been closed despite the many, many, many books on my Kindle. I like real books. I don't think I have ever read something I really liked/enjoyed/appreciated from my Kindle list. Most of the books have been ok, nothing special. Guess that is what happens when I just get the free books or spend the rare .99 cents.

I have been doing the puzzles from a Jumble book I bought many years ago. It amused me to no end that the receipt I was using as a bookmark was from Borders dated 7/19/98. I still miss Borders and managing Waldenbooks.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, Teach, I did recommend OEWBG late last year. Marvelous achievement. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I agree: intensely emotional content!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My Kindle of 9 years finally bit the dust. My new one is coming Monday so I haven't been able to read any of my books for review. I did read my copy of The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel. It is fantastic! It has so many moving parts but isn't that what a good story consists of? It is the sum of all its parts. If you enjoyed her first book Station Eleven (which is very fitting for the times we live in), you will enjoy this one too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I hope your new Kindle arrived okay!

Steve Cavanagh may not be a household name, but he certainly deserves to have the type of popularity that Stephen King does. His super-fast-paced novels - at least the two his I’ve read thus far - are amazing. His first, The Defense was truly thrilling. The follow-up, The Plea, I finished tonight and it was so much fun. If you like legal thrillers, this guy will NOT let you down!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 27, 2020 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, I got my Kindle. I got the 10 and it is huge!