TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 22, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 22, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I love the show.

The three books by Jennifer Worth, who was Jenny Lee prior to marriage are based on her experiences as a midwife.

There is another book about the series,can one by her sister that, from reviews, is really catty and was published after Jennifer died.

In real life, Chummy and her husband went off to be missionaries and never returned, but Chummy fan a clinic of some sort.

Cynthia did have mental difficulties, went on to a different life.

Trixie was outspoken and more harsh in real life, but she and Jennifer were in contact. Jennifer is critical of Trixie.

Sister Bernadette in real life remained a sister and midwife, but when the Anglican church allowed women to be ordained, she did not agree and became a Catholic nun.

Sister Julienne is much the same.

Sister Evangelina as well, though in real life she was more earthy when dealing with patients. She came from a similar background and they loved her.

Sister Monica Joan was even more difficult than shown, but Jennifer really adored her.

Free in real life was order and they actually had a woman who cooked their midday dinner.

So many things she writes about have been included in the show.. But the books are different.

The new season is airing in UK now to be starting soon here.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sea - I think I enjoyed the setting more than the plot in The Bookshop on the Corner as well. I so badly want to go back to Scotland (would love to live there in my retirement years), and it was just the sweet, quick-read style book I need this time of year. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, that was about it. Not my usual book, but I got it cheap.

Oddly named, considering the shop wasn't a shop, but Insee this author cranks out books that sound similar.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 12:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Allison Winn Scotch's books in the order she wrote them, the latest being The Song Remains The Same, her 4th and the best of those first four. They're all stand-alones and each one, thus far, has focused on complex, but easy-to-follow, relationships. I'll be reading the 5th, 6th and 7th books between now and summer (I hope).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 1:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Funny, I read that as you would read the remaining books between now and sunset!

I know you read fast.. But...

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, so happy that you enjoy Allison's books.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, if ONLY it were possible for me to read that fast! 😜

Mamie, thank you for bringing her to my attention! 😛

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Just finished Lisa Gardner's ninth book in her Detective D. D. Warren series: Look For Me. This has been a year of me trying out new authors, especially those who write detective stories or psychological thrillers, and this one didn't disappoint. It is hard to read about what could and sometimes does happen to children in foster care, though.

Did you ever read a book that had you wanting to scream at a character? I felt that way reading Elizabeth LeBan's Not Perfect as that was truly an understatement through most of the book.

Also read Lee Goldberg's True Fiction because he has co-written the Fox and O'Hare novels with Janet Evanovich. Pretty over the top characters and situation but fascinating at the same time and often funny. Quick fun read!

Next up: A. J. Finn's The Woman In The Window.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
My DS wants to read more since he thinks staying on his phone late at night is hurting his sleep.

Can any of you recommend a dystopian novel (ala Hunger Games, Mazerunner, etc), for him? Thanks in advance. Uh, preferably one that has not yet been made into a movie. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Ready Player One is very popular. It's about to be released as a movie though at the end of March.

It's a dystopian novel where people spend most of their time in a virtual reality game (because real life is pretty miserable for a lot of them). The creator of the game dies and leaves a fortune (and control of the virtual world) to whoever can figure out clues to it. The book mostly takes place within the game.

It's a pretty good story. The game creator loved the 80's so there are all sorts of 80's references etc. Pretty amusing to people like us who lived it though it seems that young people like it as well.

From Goodreads:
In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one?from_search=true

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh that sounds good! I'll check with him. Don't know if he'll read it before he sees the movie. He does a lot of movie going.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If he likes that one, people are suggesting other books 📚 someone might like.

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/125499-i-want-to-read-more-books-like-that-one

And that author has a second book, Armada.
I wonder if his phone can get an app that filters blue light?

Of course if he is staying off the phone before bed, that is a good thing anyway.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sea, iphones have a built in app called Night Shift. They don't allow third party apps.

I also sent him one for his Mac Notebook. They apparently don't mind them. :-)

But some say that even if you get a blue light filter, the bright light on your face still has some effect. The old Kindles are okay too, so I'm thinking of seeing if I can get my old one working again.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My Fire and my Samsung tablet have settings for blue light but they are kind of annoying.

The Kindle readers are different, I think.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Kindle Paperwhites are fine for reading - not the same glare you get from a Fire or computer.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
And you can adjust the brightness of the paperwhite, I turn it down on the rare occassions I read in bed so a bright light isn't disturbing Darren.

I was keeping a list of dystopian novels for Kota and my older nieces (funny enough, once I realized they loved Hunger Games) but I'm not sure where it wandered off to. I'll check with the girls tomorrow and see if I gave it to one of them.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
He might also like Daemon. It’s about a wealthy computer entrepreneur/genius who dies but leaves behind a computer program that executes instructions after his death. The only problem is that it’s not dystopian (though it’s heading in that direction).

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed the twists and turns of The Woman In The Window, and more than one I didn't see that coming moment. It seems very much an homage to Hitchcock but definitely has its own personality.

Next up is Kristin Hannah's The Great Alone, which I hope will be as engaging as The Nightingale.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, it is very different from The Nightingale but also very addictive. I could not put it down.

I also loved The Woman in the Window.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, if you don't subscribe to the bookgorilla.com emails you could do that for kindle book bargains.

You can narrow down what you see on the list and there is a sub category for dystopian.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
After the Eclipse: A Mother's Murder: A Daughter's Search by Sarah Perry.

Sad but exellent!

You really understand the effects of losing your mother from a very violent attack, then having the killer at large for over a decade while the author, who was 12 was shuffled around and also fearful she would be targetted.

Well written!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finishing up The Marriage Lie tonight (excellent!) since I just got back Eleanor Oliphant from my library (Kindle). YAY! Didn't have to wait nearly as long as I thought I would. Even better: SPRING BREAK HAS STARTED! I have a crap-ton of papers and state testing stuff to do, but I will also have time to read!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So, kiddo went with the Legend Series. Since it's on my Kindle account, I get to read it too. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Is that by David Gemmell?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Marie Lu, considered a young adult book.