TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 07, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 07, 2017 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have the new Sedaris in my TBR pile. Glad you liked it. My favorite is still is Santa story.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dish is starting slowly for me, but I think/hope it is more about me not making time to really get into it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I always loved that title β€œDish” - so fitting!

Mamie, make sure you read Little Fires Everywhere before you read the Sedaris book - I’m anxious to know what you think of LFE. 😜 Also, what is this book β€œWonder” that you were talking about with Allison Winn Scotch on Twitter earlier today? Details please. πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Little Fires is up next for me, after Tom Hanks' book.

Wonder is this lovely book, made for middle school kids but for everyone, about a boy born with a deformity that starts attending regular school after years of being taught at home. I am sure you have seen the trailer with Julia Roberts and Jacob Tremblay. But it is about kindness and treating each other with respect and filled with so much of it all that it leaked out of my eyes throughout the whole thing. Read it. You will not be sorry.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The L.A. Public Library has 255 copies and I am number 6 in line, so my turn should come up fairly soon. Thanks for the info! And since you and A.W. Scotch vouch for it as passionately as you do, I'm sure I will love it as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I put a paperback of Dr.Temple Grandin's book, Emergence.. It had been updated with newer comments.. Thought I would just read it in the bathroom, but it followed me and I finished reading it..

She writes so clearly about being autistic...

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Silent Killer" by Beverly Barton. Another mystery/thriller. It was okay.

I'm starting the new Stephen/Owen King book, "Sleeping Beauties". Hoping it's good. Will let you know.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Another paperback that has been waiting for years.. Far Afield by Susanna Kaysen, who wrote Girl, Interrupted, which became a movie.

Set in the Faroe Islands.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last night I finished Janelle Brown's All We Ever Wanted Was Everything, which is her debut novel from 2008. At 401 pages, it was too long by about 100, but I was never bored and the story of a deeply troubled mother and her two daughters, ages 14 and 28, kept me enthralled (for the most part). I'll pursue Brown's other two books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Is it good, Sea? I LOVED Girl, Interrupted.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, it is completely different..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Different is fine; did you enjoy it?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am.. Slow going, so I think it will be good.

No drama, for sure, quiet.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, November 03, 2017 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading one from the library stacks, People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. It's very good. That's probably why it won the Pulitzer Prize.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, I loved that one, Mak!!

Teach, I got hooked and finished Far Afield.

It is very well written .

There were a couple of really disturbing chapters, to me involving animals..

And I kind of wanted to know what happened later.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Next up, My Story by Elizabeth Smart.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Am reading Chase Get Ready To Run by Linwood Barkley one of my favorite authors these days. And even though this book was aimed at kids, its still fun for adults to read. https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2017/07/10/linwood-barclays-childhood-dog-was-the-inspiration-for-chase.html

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine. Loved it! All I can say is be careful what you wish for. It is written by a pair of sisters and they did a bang up job.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, that Elizabeth Smart book was excellent, but very painful to read - she's a brave, brave woman.

Cablejockey, thank you for endorsing the kids-centric book by Mr. Barclay. I'm about to start reading Wonder, the kid-centric book Mamie recommended, so that one will "warm me up" before I give the Barclay book a try. My library copy of his latest (adult) title, Parting Shot, is due to arrive this week - can't wait.

Earlier today I finished The Stars in Our Eyes: The Famous, the Infamous, and Why We Care Way Too Much About Them by Julie Klam. It's outlandishly short, but very enjoyable. She interviews a handful of celebrities and asks them to explain how they handle their fame and all the attention that comes with being in the public eye. As a young girl, for example, she had a massive crush on Timothy Hutton. She was able to somehow befriend him (after she'd become an established writer) and convinced him to be one of her interviewees. His answers to her questions were the most interesting - I just wish there'd been twice as many for him to answer. You can read this book in one sitting, that's how short is. Highly recommended.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I will get to Elizabeth.. But first back to Dish, which did get to be more interesting.

I am 39% into it now.

And a hardback in a stack to move out.. But if course I am re-reading.. Open Heart by Jay Neugenboren. Non fiction.

I am terrible about decluttering.. but a small stack of books I took to Curves are all out to be read, so that is good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Two gifts in two days - my library loans came through for both Born a Crime and Beartown. Suppose anyone would notice if I called in sick for 3 days to do some reading at home?

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Born a Crime is so good, you will finish it in bed... I really liked it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 06, 2017 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
*****vows to grade papers first******
*****resists temptation for a good 10 minutes******
*****reads a chapter*****
*****attempts to grade 2 or 3 essays****
*****gives up and goes back to reading****

Will report back ---probably at 3 AM! LOL

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I hope you love Born A Crime, Teach! I'll be shocked if you don't.

I was NOT shocked to discover what a marvelous book Wonder is. The debut of (Ms.) R.J. Palacio, it turned out to be just as great as Mamie promised me it would be. I wasn't a wreck when it was over, but I got pretty darn close. Had it been a chapter or two longer, I probably would've been weeping up a storm.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 2:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Just finished Dish with mixed feelings.. Some very interesting stuff, but some that I felt could have remained unsaid.

Talented writer, kind of wasted on this.