TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 06, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 06, 2015 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Good to know, Mamie!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 5:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I have Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica and In the Blood by Lisa Unger on my Kindle. I've been reading too much fluff. I need to get to these suspense novels that have such great recommendations here.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I also noticed another new suspense novel I recently picked up called The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon. Did someone here recommend that one? Maybe I picked it up as a deal through Book Bub.

Mamie, Black-Eyed Susans sounds good. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I read The Night Sister. It's a good one, not her best, she writes books with a spooky tinge, but still good.

So far, Susans is good. I'm thinking it's heading one way but I am probably wrong.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, August 24, 2015 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mamie. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Barclay's Broken Promise and loved it (as per usual). The added treat? It's the first of a trilogy! This one had a lot of characters, but they were easy to keep track of. I read an interview he gave recently where he revealed that he writes 2,000 words per day. No wonder he cranks his books out so quickly. Amazing!

I'm now enjoying Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James. It's nice and complex (and it'll take a lot longer for me to finish it than the Barclay book did)!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have a galley of Broken Promise. It will be my first foray into Barclay and I know you said he's a lot like Coben so I am glad you liked it.

I started A Window Opens by Elizabeth Egan and though I am not speeding through it, got lots to do around the house, I am loving every word! Very witty writing.

I am also reading An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. I've had it on my TBR shelves forever.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Go Set a Watchman.. wondering if it would have had more impact when it was written, but can see why many were unsettled.

Now I have another Catherine Ryan Hyde novel, on sale..

Worthy ..it is ok so far.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Loved A Window Opens. Loved the writing and many parts of it really it home for me.

I am now reading The Blue by Lucy Clarke & The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished In the Blood by Lisa Unger. Good mystery with lots of twists. I was at first bothered/uncomfortable about the number of 'troubled' children' involved in the story but soon got past that. It was an interesting peek into the world of children with mental illness.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Worthy.. as usual with her books I read quickly and want to know what happens, always about the definition of family.

Starting a Memoir by the wife of a man who suffered traumatic brain injury.. A Three Dog Life.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 6:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the memoir, which was a string of essays.

One starting Brailling for Wile, by James Zerndt.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz

Very will written and informative. A good read for any dog lover.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Blue. Lots of snaky twists and turns.

I started Kitchens of the Great Midwest. Another one this month that I am really liking.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Even though Death in Holy Orders began promisingly, by the time I got to the end of its 415 pages, I was wildly underwhelmed. Oh well. It was the 11th of the 14 Adam Dalgliesh novels - I don't know if I'll bother with the final three. We'll see.

Today I began The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames, a writer I've never read before. He's supposed to be really good. We'll see.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kitchens of the Great Midwest was another truly enjoyable read. I'm on a roll!

Now, what to read next?

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Ricky, I did like The Little Friend! It was tough to read at times because of the snakes (eeekkkk!!) and the kids being in peril throughout most of the book and the crazy parents. Donna Tartt is an enthralling story teller.

Now I'm reading The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife, a memoir by Connie Scovill Small. The author grew up near my parents' birthplace. I'm familiar with the area, which makes it interesting to me. I really had never thought about the lives and hardships of the lighthouse keepers and their families.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, Mak. Though she went on to win the Pulitzer for The Goldfinch (deservedly so), I had a lot more fun with The Little Friend. That sidekick of Harriet's (Hely) was adorable and had me in stitches - I only wish he'd been a more prominent character!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I loved Hely! He really lightened the mood so many times and should have been a more prominent character. The aunts were pretty comical, too.

Tonight I'm starting Big Dig by Linda Barnes.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Halfway into The Martian by Andy Weir and loving it!

At the library, I have about 8 books on hold that will all become available soon at the same time. I need to make some decisions and prioritize their order as I can suspend my hold on a few. Has anyone read The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman yet? I have yet to be disappointed in a book of hers. The Racketeer by Grisham? The English Spy by Daniel Silva?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I have The Marriage of Opposites but haven't read it yet. Like you, I've never been disappointed in one of her books. She's definitely one of my favorite authors.

I read Girl Meets Class by Karin Gillespie. Lots of her fun sassy Southern writing but a serious side to education and prejudice.

I started This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison and am still reading The Book of Strange New Things.}

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I have The Marriage of Opposites but haven't read it yet. Like you, I've never been disappointed in one of her books. She's definitely one of my favorite authors.

I read Girl Meets Class by Karin Gillespie. Lots of her fun sassy Southern writing but a serious side to education and prejudice.

I started This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison and am still reading The Book of Strange New Things.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mamie! It's great to suddenly have choices at the library after having been on waiting lists for so long.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read The Racketeer this summer and enjoyed it. A bit different than the usual Grisham.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 4:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
"The Martian" by Andy Weir is the best book I've read since "The Kite Runner". It also takes you to an alien environment & makes it seem real. Funny & serious & tons of plot twists. It teaches us what it means to be human. Wow!!!