TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 07, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 07, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Vinny DiGerolamo was a one of a kind kid.

=========

I finished Bring on the Blessings and am into re-reading book two of the series A Second Helping.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have been reading the same two books for weeks now. With moving, I haven't gotten to have much time for it. Now that we are in the new house, I will take my time unpacking boxes (TBR books are already unpacked) and get some reading done.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You will be truly "nested" when you can read more..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished A Second Helping, and on to the third book in the series, Something Old, Something New.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Something Old, Something New and reading the fourth in the series, A Wish and a Prayer.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finally finished Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave. It was just what I needed, something rather light and witty. Setting it in the wine country of Sonoma didn't hurt either.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading Stephen King's Finder's Keepers - the sequel to Mr. Mercedes it's pretty good so far. I like it better than his last book.

Also just finished up both books from the Cleveland kidnapping girls. Michelle Knight's story, Finding Me is really intense and is just from her viewpoint, and the other book Hope is told from Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus's viewpoints. They're both hard to read - I don't know how they survived what they went through, but they are all three amazingly strong women.

I also recently read a book called Behind the Beautiful Forevers that is based on true events in the slums of India. It's almost impossible to understand the kind of poverty and hardships they face.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I started that Stephen King and didn't stick with it.. most unusual.. just not in the mood at that time.

Read Michelle Knight's book awhile ago.

Finished reading A Wish and a Prayer and now reading the 5th book in the series..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Earlier this week I finished A Deadly Wandering by Matt Richtel, a well-known NY Times reporter who has written extensively in the NYT about the dangers of texting and driving. This book focused on a texting/driving accident that happened in Utah and which set in motion changes in the law to make texting/driving a crime. It's a sad story, but he made all the major (and minor) players very compelling. I highly recommend it.

I'm now reading You by Caroline Kepnes, a novel about one man's obsession with a woman who one day walks into the bookstore he manages. It's already disturbing (but captivating). The section I read yesterday features the crowds who come by the store to buy Stephen King's Doctor Sleep -- the man detests King's books, of course, and especially so because tending to the crowds distracts him from his obsession for the woman (the "You" of the book's title).

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey- I am in the middle of Finders Keepers now and it has totally bogged down. Hoping it picks back up again.

For anyone who is a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan - a few months ago I finally got my copy of Pioneer Girl - the Annotated Biography.
I have tried to read every biography I can find on Laura and daughter Rose and wasn't sure they would have a lot of new info, but this book was really interesting.
They have her original autobiography which is Pioneer Girl that she drew off of to write the fictional Little House books. Some of the differences between the books and the real story are unexpected. For instance, during the Long Winter, the family actually had another family living with them.
I have read tons of books trying to prove that Rose really wrote the books since she was already a published writer, and others that swear that it was all Laura. This book leans toward the Laura side.

I have read all of Rose's stories and this book has the original manuscripts that Laura wrote and would send to Rose for editing. And really, it seems like neither Laura nor Rose's stories seemed like much. But together, they seemed to hit on magic. Rose definitely knew how to refine the story and present a loving family unit and play up the isolation of the family and importance of working together.

The only downside of this book is that is very hard to read. More than half the book is the annotations and they are interesting and informative, but they don't insert them in the story. So you are always having to flip forward or backward to find that annotation. Don't know why they did it that way. I found it easier to just read the story, and then go back and read the annotations.
But all in all, it's definitely worth reading.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finishing up The Talbot Odyssey on audio, so I borrowed Missoula, Rape and the Justice System in a College Town on audio. Since it's a library download, it's on my Itunes on my phone, and I can't adjust the speed. Listening to it on normal speed is driving me nuts! I typically listen to books at 1.5 speed, but never less than 1.25. I am so glad it is only 11 hours long!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Read Zoo (by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge) this past week. Yes, it's not the best written book around but I knew that going in and just simply had a blast reading it.

Took a trip to the ocean to beat the 110 degree weather in the valley and all I could smell was petroleum from the RV people who stop, park, and continue to run their engines nonstop. Fortunately, all animals I met remained well behaved.

Now I'm on to Drop Shot by Harlan Coben. I finished his book Six Years a week or two ago. Thank you guys for the recommendations!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Are you watching the TV show, Kappy?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes, Jimmer, but keeping those comments over there.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes that's best, of course. I had the show recorded and I was waiting to check that thread out once I watched it. I'll be heading there shortly.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So finished re-reading the fifth book in the series and the new sixth book and now have to wait probably until next year for the next book..

Going to start Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve, by Christopher Anderson.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 06, 2015 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished reading Caroline Kepnes's You and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was all over the place at first, but then when it settled down, it got really good. For a first novel, it's outstanding. It's written entirely in the second person (hence the title), so that's something you don't come across every day.

But be forewarned that it is quite disturbing, as tales involving stalkers usually are. This one is different because the stalker is stalking someone who is herself a bit of a stalker (it's not as convoluted as it sounds). I can't stress enough that it's fairly intense and not for the squeamish and it definitely keeps you guessing clear up to the very end. I'm looking forward to the follow-up, which gets released next February!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 06, 2015 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have You on my massive TBR pile and I also have the follow-up. I look forward to getting to them now.

I have been going with the ultimate summer reading, nothing that makes me think too hard. I am reading The Idea of Love by Patti Callahan Henry. I always love her books, set in the low country. And I am reading Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I love her characters in her book, very smart, very witty.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Mamie - do you still do book reviews? If so, could you put the address here? I always like the books you recommend.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Scout, yes I do. Landi and I have a blog together. It's oneblogtwobroads.com

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I'm jealous you get to read Hidden Bodies ahead of us mere common folk. You definitely have to read You first to get to know (and appreciate) Joe Goldberg. Hope you like 'em both!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Wow - who knew there could be so many blogs titled "one blog two broads" and/or versions of the same if you google it?

http://oneblogtwobroads.com/

I like the pages listed to the left that break the books down into categories ~ Good job ladies! I'm adding it to my blog feed.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie and Kappy. I have it bookmarked so I don't forget.
Going to go read there now:-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Are there really, Kappy?! I never even knew. I really wanted a blog that was titled "That's What She Read" but it was already taken.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Uncle_Rickey, it's a blessing to get books ahead of their publication dates and for free but I have so many, it's hard for me to get to all of them in time. Hidden Bodies was supposed to be out earlier, I got an email saying not to review it until the later date. I guess I better get onto You.

I did start Among the Ten Thousand Things by Julia Pierpont, which came out today. I have read a bunch of good press on it so let's hope it's not one of those that is hyped up too much.}