TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 30, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 30, 2014 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Teach - I got it today!!! Now I just need to decides whether to dive into it or re-read Echo in the Bone first.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I picked up my copy of Gabaldon's "Written In My Own Heart's Blood" and I'm like you Jasper, wondering if I should re-read Echo In The Bone first.

I might just skim through Echo rather than re-read and then dive into WIMOHB . . . all 814 pages!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I just finished listening to Echo for the second time (read it normally the first read), so I'm ready to read! I still have 20% left in Flowers, so my goal is to finish it up tonight after I finish the few papers I have.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a beautiful book, written by a beautiful woman. Her life was so hard and filled with pain but she endured and thrived. The world definitely lost a bright star.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Gods Like Us earlier tonight. It had a lot of interesting chapters about how movie (and other types of) celebrities have evolved since the advent of the film business.

The writer, Ty Burr, is a reporter for the Boston Globe and I was surprised at his over-use of the irritating "That said," phrase (half-a-dozen times at least). Worse, he referred to CAA as Creative Arts Agency instead of the correct Creative Artists Agency. It's only the biggest talent agency in the world and he called it 'Arts' in three different parts of the book - you'd think a newspaperman would know better!

Tomorrow I dive into the Walter Isaacson biography about Steve Jobs. I know I'm late to the party in reading it, but better late than never.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 13, 2014 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is definitely worth reading and also eye-opening.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, June 13, 2014 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. I'm 40 pages in, and it's heartbreaking so far.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 13, 2014 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mak, That is one of my favorite books. Trust me, there is humor that helps make it a thoroughly enjoyable book. I had the great privilege of hearing Mr. McCourt speak shortly before he died, and he was HILARIOUS!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've read Angela's Ashes. It was good. I finished Crave by JR Ward. I think it is actually the second book in a new series. I haven't read her other books. Just started Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Art Forger.. some basis in history, Learned about forging art, and a bit of a mystery.. not bad.

Starting Everest the First Ascent, by the daughter of a man who was instrumental in getting the British team to the top, just prior to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. His contributions were largely ignored. His estranged daughter realized this in 1993 when the team presented for the Royal family and others. Took her another decade to tackle the subject, after so m e of her by then late father's letters were found.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. It was good. Didn't realize it was published after his death in 2008. I didn't know he was dead.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 23, 2014 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished the Steve Jobs biography and you were absolutely right, Sea -- very eye-opening. There were so many 'oh-my-goodness' passages. The one that stayed with me the most was his refusal to let the doctors perform the surgery on his pancreas (after they had detected the tumor at a very early/very treatable stage) that likely would've saved his life. I can't even imagine how frustrating it had to be for his wife, who begged him to have the surgery.

I'm now reading The Good Father by Noah Hawley, who is also the head writer/creator of the "Fargo" TV series that recently concluded on the FX network. If it's even remotely close to the quality of the "Fargo" show, I'm sure it'll be extremely well-written.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
As someone who is around people fighting to beat off cancer almost every day and many who struggle with hw to pay, or changes in insurance, it is SO frustrating to know that Steve Jobs had access to any treatment, anywhere, any time, and let it slide.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It was also stunning that -- after Jobs had to undergo the liver transplant in 2009 -- he persisted in following his eccentric fruit-only diet, which resulted in massive weight loss, followed by an accelerated death, i.e., he could've lived an extra year or two if he'd only eaten the balanced variety of foods that the doctors and his family begged him to eat. Amazing!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Secret History today. The story pulled me in, and I must admit the ending surprised me a bit. Tartt has the ability to get her readers interested in people that are beyond the "norm," doesn't she?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 27, 2014 - 2:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
So glad you liked it, Teach. I'm sure you have a mountain of titles to get to, but I hope you'll one day read The Little Friend as well. I'm still marvelling over how much I loved that book. Even if I end up liking The Goldfinch more, TLF will always have a special place in my heart. I'm number 67 on the waiting list for Goldfinch by the way, which is a lot better than the 1,004th position I started out in back in early April.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Friday, June 27, 2014 - 5:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I'm taking a break from book 5 of the Outlander series and am enjoying The Kite Runner.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 27, 2014 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I got notification from my library that The Invention of Wings was available, so while I'm listening to Written in My Own Heart's Blood (and reading it on Kindle more slowly), I've started Kidd's novel, too. UncleRicky, I'll see if I can get the other Tartt book through my library online. She is definitely an author I want to keep reading!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I'm almost 100 pages into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson and I have found it very slow going so far. Hard to believe it's a best seller. I hope it picks up soon.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
It picked up for me, Heckagirl. I found the beginning extremely slow as well. Hang in there. :-)

Fruitbat

08-07-2000

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Fruitbat a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain and love it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a good one! Good to see you, Fruitbat!!

You might enjoy 600 Hours of Edward and Edward Adrift by Craig Lancaster. I really loved those books and wanted more Edward.

I finally finished the book about Griffth Pugh andit was a slow go, not what I thought, but I did finish and was grateful when the last 20% was just notes I could skip.

Now reading ]I{The Year We Disappeared: A Father - Daughter Memoir, by Cylin Busby and John Busby. Drawing me in right away.

Teach, I agree that Tartt makes us interested in people beyond the "norm", but she certainly doesn't make me like them and in the end I'm not willing to grab another of her book, at least at this point. This may be partly because I was around real people in childhood who were way outside the norm (not my family, thankfully) and I know the harm that can be caused.

Uncle Ricky, yes.. just so frustrating but he seemed to so often not listen to others.. often this would hurt others in his life or his company but this time it was faital for him. I cannot respect the way he was so ungenerous with some of those who helped him to get where he got and his attempt to take down Amazon, costing many people in book prices, but still what a waste of a mind to so stubbornly refuse treatment.. as I recall, hi had an odd childhood too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl - I LOVED that series, but I confess that I actually listened to the audiobook for the first one. It made it so much easier with the Swedish names and places. I think it helped me stay interested as well. Hang in there - when it picks up, it goes full speed! :-)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm reading John Grisham's Calico Joe. It's a fast read and I'm enjoying it a lot. And whaddayaknow....a Fruitbat sighting in this thread!!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Fruitbat...get the tissues ready!! Loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain"!