TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 05, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 05, 2013 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT I LOVE that: 'A day when I don't learn something is a day wasted.' :-)
That made me smile.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 11:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The Ross Mathews book was short and very sweet, especially the sections where he describes the relationship he's had with his parents. Lucky breaks have followed this guy everywhere.

Tonight I began Top of the Morning, Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV by Brian Stetler - the centerpiece section is devoted to the Ann Curry-Matt Lauer "Today Show" debacle.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Just finished Then Came Youby Jennifer Weiner. About having a baby by a Surrogate - good read.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
"The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England" by Dan Jones. I found this book important enough to buy a hard copy for the royalty section of my library. It covers the Kings and Queens of England from their Plantagenet beginnings with Geoffrey Plantagenet of Anjou and his marriage to Mathilda the Empress (daughter and heiress of Henry I) through Richard II in 1399.

"Rita Moreno: A Memoir." Someone must have told Rita she needed to write an autobiography, but she didn't remember anything except how flawed her marriage was and how hot she thought her affair was with Marlon Brando. Three paragraphs on "The King and I," about two pages on "West Side Story." I do not recommend this book, it annoyed me. If Marlon Brando is telling you you need therapy, well . . .

Now reading: "The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy" by Jo Marchant. It addresses and argues with research on King Tut and what has happened to his body since it was found. Interesting stuff. Just now getting to the DNA analysis from 2010.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
GAL, supposedly Geoffrey is my 24th great-grandfather, but researchers have him paired with Adelaide de Angers. I haven't had time to look for the proof of this branch so may just look for that book myself. I have an insane amount of books on my TBR list!

This weekend I read three freebies I snagged on my Kindle. None of them are worth recommending but were all okay.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just started High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed since our library's book challenge for August is to read a book with a blue cover or a cover with water on it. So far it's very interesting! (I've read Krakauer's Into Thin Air and Eiger Dreams in the past, so the climbing/Everest theme interests me.)

As soon as I'm done with that, I'm re-reading the final two Gabaldon books in anticipation of the new release in March.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading "The Broker" by John Grisham. I've read several of his books with varying degrees of liking them. A Painted House is my favorite. This one is just so-so so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh that book will make you so angry, Teach. But it is good and well worth reading.

To counter Krakauer's Into Thin Air, one should read the book by Anatoli Boukreev.. he rebutted much of Krakaur's version. Sadly, he later died, climbing..

That book is The Climb.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sea. It's on my list. Funny that he refutes Krakauer, when Krakauer has "debunked" much of Greg Morteson's Three Cups of Tea.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Krakaur blamed people, including Boukreev and Anatolyi want4ed to set the record straight. But of course that was just a horrible time on the mountain and clearly money influenced who was on the mountain and in some cases they had no business being there.

High Crimes shows just how much worse the situation it has become.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the book I was reading about the small town in Alaska.. if the price drops on her next book I'll read that, too.

Starting now on a book about the cult like group that used sweat lodges on followers in dangerous ways, leading to death, in fact.. Tragedy in Sedona: My Life in James Arthur Ray's Inner Circle by Connie Joy.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and really enjoyed it. A woman finds a letter from her husband to be opened upon his death (he isn't dead) and it starts a chain of events in three women's lives.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sea - the comments on Amazon about The Climb were quite interesting. One had a detailed comparison of Krakauer and Boukreev's versions. The consensus seemed to be that ITA was more thorough, based on notes & interviews while TC was more emotional. One reviewer said to get the later versions to see the add-ins as they sparred back and forth! Just wish TC was in Kindle. Will have to see if I can get it through our library.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I can see that there would be controversy.. of course Anatolyi was an actual climber while Krakauer was a journalist/reporter writer but he did have some bias going. But he is deceased so he cannot rebut anything now.

I do like reading more than one account (and I think you'll find a bit about that time in the book you have now, too) because it gives you a bigger picture.

There were two books written about a volcano that blew I think in S America, maybe Venezuela and that was an interesting contrast. (all my books like that are up in the room over the garage so I can't just check.

Oh! The book by the son of Tenzing Norgay is the best! Jamling T. Norgay, Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest

In a story of Everest unlike any told before, Jamling Tenzing Norgay gives us an insider's view of the Sherpa world. As Climbing Leader of the famed 1996 Everest IMAX expedition led by David Breashears, Jamling Norgay was able to follow in the footsteps of his legendary mountaineer father, Tenzing Norgay, who with Sir Edmund Hillary was the first to reach the summit of Mount Everest, in 1953. Jamling Norgay interweaves the story of his own ascent during the infamous May 1996 Mount Everest disaster with little-known stories from his father's historic climb and the spiritual life of the Sherpas, revealing a fascinating and profound world that few -- even many who have made it to the top -- have ever seen.

http://www.amazon.com/Touching-My-Fathers-Soul-Sherpas/dp/0062516884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375252511&sr=1-1&keywords=tenzing+norgay

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I just started reading Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay. I have been trying to read everything of his I can get my hands on. So far this is pretty good!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15796491-never-saw-it-coming

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am about four listening hours into "Outlander" and fascinated! Thanks to all who recommended this series so warmly!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I am reading another of my Kindle freebies, The Twenty Dollar Bill by Elmore Hammes. It is a quick read with short chapters. Each chapter is a short story about a different person who is linked to the person in the previous chapter by this twenty dollar bill. So far, the bill has been given, stolen, and spent by people in all walks of life. It is an interesting journey!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished the Stelter book about morning TV and it was mostly underwhelming. Now reading Moment of Glory The Year Underdogs Ruled Golf by John Feinstein (one of my favorite writers). Delicious!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, what era is that about, which golfers??

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Feinstein focuses on the first-time winners of the four Majors in 2003: Mike Weir (Masters), Jim Furyk (US Open), Ben Curtis (British Open), and Shaun Micheel (PGA) and how their lives changed as a result of their victories. I don't follow golf except during the Majors and the in depth interviews that Feinstein devotes to each player really gives the reader a comprehensive view of the ups and downs of a PGA player's career.

And I love stories about underdogs!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds interesting.. I'm a bit familiar with each of them and sometimes watch golf (used to watch more when my parents were alive and my brother and sil would come down for Thanksgiving or Christmas and three of them played golf and all watched it, so I started following it.

And I'm royally pissed off that Time Warner cut me off from watching the latest tournament. I do like to watch Tiger when he's on his game, and people playing as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read his book Caddy For Life and that was really good.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, I totally agree: Caddy for Life was wonderful. What I'm really enjoying about Moment of Glory is his inclusion of how each of the Majors in 2003 affected the runners-up as well as the winners, i.e., how THEIR lives could've changed if they had won instead of finishing second. In addition, the impact on the wives of each player is covered, too -- very, very interesting stuff. Mike Weir's wife, for example, was his caddy during the early days of his career even though she knew absolutely nothing about golf!

Sorry about the Time Warner cut-off. I, fortunately, am on DirecTV. You know that thing will DEFINITELY be settled by the time the first Sunday of the NFL season rolls around (September 8) -- let's hope it's much sooner than that!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My husband cried reading Caddy for Life. He cries at sports stories all the time.

I am reading Austenland by Shannon Hale. I know a movie version is coming out soon.

And I am reading Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites by Kate Christensen. I'm really liking it. A lot of our memories are really based on what we ate during those times. Foods can bring back a lot.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would have hoped it would be done before Under the Dome tonight, or the US Open Tennis.. people I know are missing Dodger games.

Yes, food can make events so memorable.